Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginestre

Quote from: dfort on December 02, 2018, 09:07:12 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on updating the EOSM to 2.0.3? The original pull request has been up for nearly two years. Recently @critix and I have been running tests on it and it is as stable as 2.0.2. I can do it on some of the experimental builds to get started--provided @a1ex approves.

I have firmware 2.0.3 on my camera. Does ML work ?

EDIT: Couldn't find the experimental version for 2.0.3 so I've downgraded th camera to 2.0.2 and loaded ML.

seguracine

Hola tengo la EOS M6 Mark II  ¿Sabéis si hay algo para cambiar el formato de grabación , quiero grabar a  3840X1645

Walter Schulz

Offtopic. This thread is about "EOS M" only. There is no ML for M6 Mark II.

eyeland

:)
I have an annoying problem with my trusted EOSM
I am setting up a budget friendly streaming studio using available canon cameras (5D mk2, 5D mk3 and EOS-M) and a Black magic Atem mini Pro as video-mixer and capture card.

I scale up the HDMI output of the cameras by 120% to get around the lack of clean 16:9 HDMI output from the 5Dmk2 and the EOS-M.

Everything works fine with the 5Dmk2/5Dmk3 but the EOS gets "stuck" when I use the ML "sticky-shutter" function to get around the 30min limit. I can activave the sticky shutter but I seem unable to deactivate it without turning off the camera (no battery pull needed)

I am running FW202 and I have tried several different builds to no avail.
Any thoughs on this particular issue?
Thanks
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

eyeland

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 25, 2021, 05:43:22 AM
https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#how_do_i_record_stream_for_more_than_30_minutes

Thank you my friend. As usual, you provide quick and on the point answer :)
I will try the "lua-fix" solution.
Do you have a simple explanation for why the sticky shutter is behaving differently on the EOS compared to the 5D mk2?
On the MK2, I can use the shutter to go in and out of sticky shutter-mode without any hickups.
This is really nice as it gives me a super easy and reliable way of switching between "settings-mode" and "live-mode" :)
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

Walter Schulz

IMO "Sticky Half-Shutter" was a dirty workaround and notorious for side-effects like yours.

liuk718

ppcam

I have scoured the web and searched this forum a lot but I still haven't arrived at a clear answer yet about EOS M HDMI output quality.

The raw modes seem excellent for internal recording but how bad/good is the EOS M HDMI output at 576p (recent build with registers for more hdmi output options) or 1080i? Is it useable for live streaming? I read that moire and alaising is worse in live view?

Have seen some YouTube videos showing other Digic 5 cameras and I guess I am expecting it to be similar? A Sony A6000 definitely seems to blow it out of the water as far as HDMI output but only 8-bit 4:2:0 internal recording I think.

My last ML camera was a T3i probably a decade ago.

Walter Schulz

ATM (almost) all ML supported cams do pretty much the same: 1620x1080 in photo mode and 1620x912 in video mode embedded in 1080i60 with 8 bit.

barton_senger44

Hey guys I am a canon 700D shooter. I was curious as what are you guys able to shoot in regards to non crop since we both share the same sensor? Is the absolute best non cropped option is 1736x736 14 bit losseless 1x3 binning?

barton_senger44

Except for the fact that you can put speedboosters on eos m but not 700d

Pekka

I would like to ask if any devs are around about possible future developments on certain areas. Mainly if getting wysiwyg or 1:1 framed real time preview for Eos M 2.5/2.8K modes (more than 1920x1080) is something that might ever be worked on (or even possible).  I noticed that after fixing of monitoring M has become such a good option for narrative filmmaking and the only thing that Im struggling with is the occasional softness and lack of resolution. 2K mode with frtp is nice, but those couple of hundred extra pixels that could be gotten from 2.5/2.8, would at least for me, give a needed "level up" (atm. I can get 2288x1288 stable recordings which is good enough for almost everything). I need to focus pull people, so monitoring and rtp is a must. I can work with current 2.5k regular mode (turn monitor off, check the framing from cameras live view, put the monitor back on), but having it as a standard feature obviously would make life much easier (not having to guess/remember the framing that is).

Also on 5K Anamorphic the lack of 25fps is making it no-go for me. Since new debayering in MLVapp are making 1080p great option again this is less of an issue.

Now I'm eternally grateful for what i already have, the thing is already awesome. So please,  don't take any of this as me expecting to be served nor me being dissapointed if I never see these options. I am mainly thinking if I could skip the whole Black magic / GH5 midrange all together and stick with M a bit longer, so in an odd chance that these are in the works or in plans, it would be nice to hear about it.

lintel

Folks I've just dug out my EOS M after letting it gather dust for a for a year or two. In the past I've mainly experimented with Super 8 simulation e.g.:

https://vimeo.com/345342123

Now I'd like to try using the whole sensor (i.e. 1.6x crop or as close as possible) - what is currently the most stable build that gets decent results? Sorry if it's cheeky not to trawl the thread for answers but I'd like to know if there's a consensus. 1080p is fine - I'm more concerned about aliasing but I've generally found the diffusion filter helps deal with that anyway. Most of all I'd like to avoid dropped frames and be able to get a decent idea of what I'm filming with live preview. Thanks for any advice ...

2blackbar

for 8mm or 16mm emulation use 1440*1080 in crop mode and cctv lenses for this.
i use lenses for 1/2' sensors , super 8 will get you vignette so you would have to crop to maybe 800*600, notnsure.
1/2' covers about the same as 16mm film lenses.
this will get you moire free footage

overall best quality is 2800*1080 or something similar ( ita almost 3k!!) i use it and 2500*something(2.5k).
some cctv lenses dont covee 2800 or 2500 so i use 2400*1400 (16:9).
also upscale when rendering, it will retain more details.

lintel

Quote from: 2blackbar on November 19, 2021, 12:55:17 AM
for 8mm or 16mm emulation use 1440*1080 in crop mode and cctv lenses for this.
i use lenses for 1/2' sensors , super 8 will get you vignette so you would have to crop to maybe 800*600, notnsure.
1/2' covers about the same as 16mm film lenses.
this will get you moire free footage

overall best quality is 2800*1080 or something similar ( ita almost 3k!!) i use it and 2500*something(2.5k).
some cctv lenses dont covee 2800 or 2500 so i use 2400*1400 (16:9).
also upscale when rendering, it will retain more details.

Thanks but I'm really only looking for the best full-width build. I will use a 35mm lens that covers the whole APS-C sensor.

lintel

Quote from: Danne on November 19, 2021, 01:41:55 PM
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25781.0

Anamorphic mode.

Nice, thanks very much I shall give it a spin. Assume this is just anamorphic in terms of the aspect ratio - not requiring desqueeze or an actual anamorphic lens?

Danne

Exactly. Record per usual and then scaling back correctly will happen automated if opening mlv files in Mlv app or dng files through adobe camera raw.

andre85

why there are no working features with focus like focus stacking or focus trap ?

papkee

So I got ahold of an EOS M for a great deal, and I've been playing around with the various raw modes the past day or so. I've got a couple questions that I can't seem to nail down definitive answers on.

• Is there a post that lists all the crop factors of the various raw modes in the latest Danne builds? I can find mentions of the crop factors in various videos and blog posts but nothing that just plainly says "x mode has y crop factor, etc..."
  • I've noticed that the 2.5k FRTP doesn't show the entire frame being captured. When shooting at 2.35:1 The right ~1/5 of the frame is black unless I enter "crop preview" with the INFO button. Is that correct behavior?
  • Along with the previous question - is there a way to hide the garbage data on the LCD when shooting in 2.5K FRTP? I'm referring to the noise/bad data/previous frames that show up below the live view on the screen. 5K anamorphic FRTP seems to auto-overlay a crop mask of some kind to fix this issue, so I'd think something similar for 2.5K would be easy.

Hoping to replace my 650D with this camera (technically it's smaller cousin I suppose) so I'd love to learn as much as I can about all the new modes that have been added since my last adventure with ML nearly 5 years ago.
EOS 650D, a bunch of random lenses & adapters

masc

1. Crop factors should be calculated individally for the setting you use. A list would not really help here. EOSM has 5208 pixels in width.
crop = sensor width / (footage width * readout factor)
The readout factor can be 3 or 1 in dependency to the preset you use: 3 for 3x3 and 1x3 readout modes, 1 for 1x1 crop modes.

2. This mode is not ready yet, but the devs wanted to give the offer to use a realtime preview for this crop mode. So far this is correct as is, until someone finds better code. https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25784.msg231212#msg231212

3. Same here, but you could use cropmarks to hide this area. Or you use the screen layout "Bottom, under 3:2" in Display->Advanced settings.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Pekka on November 10, 2021, 05:31:18 PM
I would like to ask if any devs are around about possible future developments on certain areas.

You should ask questions related to Danne's builds for EOS M in this thread: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25781.3050