Author Topic: Canon EOS M  (Read 699748 times)

geroinnn

• New to the forum
Re: Canon EOS M
« Reply #2400 on: March 07, 2019, 11:42:26 AM »
Hi, Yes!
Check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gQnf05Pmu4

In short: Whatever monitor you use, make sure you can set it to accept 480p/60hz and/or set it to 'Camera Mode',
otherwise you'll end up with a badly synced 1080p image (flickering) and distorted recordings.
The problem lies in the synchronisation of the HDMI ports; both 'resolutions' have to match for the camera and monitor to work properly.
Yep, I watched this video
I would like to know about similar experience with other displays: any monitor capable of transmitting an image at 480p / 60Ghz is suitable or is it better not to take the risk and take the Feelworld F570, since there is already a positive experience of use?

Is there any possible way to fix the sync issue so that other monitors would work or are we just sol? I wouldn't mind putting time and money to get it working, just not sure if this is something to be fixed with software.

Also why is this a raw specific issue? Monitor use with non raw footage works great but once raw is disabled the footage becomes choppy and purple frames.
I also do not mind sponsoring this idea if it is solved programmatically. I think that many will be interested in this option.

P.s.
Is nobody else using an external monitor on this camera?

Danne

« Reply #2401 on: March 08, 2019, 10:48:56 AM »
New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Autofocusing during filming should now work. If it affects recording times needs to be checked so feedback welcome:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3064.msg213120#msg213120

EDIT:
Back to set to af off for defaults. Enable af on in small_hacks sub menu in RAW video section.

Pacerx999

• New to the forum
« Reply #2402 on: March 08, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »
P.s.
Is nobody else using an external monitor on this camera?

So I'm a couple of versions out of date (using crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Feb25.EOSM202)

But re: using an external monitor, and checking for corruption. I used the eos m with an Atomos Ninja Assasin (https://www.atomos.com/ninja-assassin) and it worked for displaying the signal and allowing for easier focus. No weird flickering etc etc. It still appeared to be a 480p signal, but I couldn't verify using the monitor as it was only a quick test.

Also, if I turned off Global draw the signal was clean enough to use the focus peaking in built into the monitor

For reference i was on the MCM rewire preset.

On checking the file, no corrupt frames. To be honest, it was probably the nicest footage I shot as I wasn't hunting for focus on a tiny screen.

I would assume the reason not many are using external monitors is because the monitor probably costs as much if not more than the EOS M.

Anyway, on to play with the latest build!

geroinnn

• New to the forum
« Reply #2403 on: March 08, 2019, 01:51:33 PM »
So I'm a couple of versions out of date (using crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Feb25.EOSM202)

But re: using an external monitor, and checking for corruption. I used the eos m with an Atomos Ninja Assasin (https://www.atomos.com/ninja-assassin) and it worked for displaying the signal and allowing for easier focus. No weird flickering etc etc. It still appeared to be a 480p signal, but I couldn't verify using the monitor as it was only a quick test.

Also, if I turned off Global draw the signal was clean enough to use the focus peaking in built into the monitor

For reference i was on the MCM rewire preset.

On checking the file, no corrupt frames. To be honest, it was probably the nicest footage I shot as I wasn't hunting for focus on a tiny screen.

I would assume the reason not many are using external monitors is because the monitor probably costs as much if not more than the EOS M.

Anyway, on to play with the latest build!
Thanks for the response. Using an external monitor really makes focusing easier, so I want to buy it.

marcelolippi

• New to the forum
« Reply #2404 on: March 08, 2019, 09:25:15 PM »
Thanks Danne, great work! I put the lua sd and 5k active, I can also record for several seconds but the duration is random ... will also be problems with card speed? (sdxc c10 u3, should be 60mb in writing). Regarding the exposure I do not understand how sometimes the exposure is correct and sometimes burns with the usual pink pixels. What should I check?
Below some frames, failed (random but on average one every 2 seconds) and the "pink" problem.
Thanks again

Danne

« Reply #2405 on: March 08, 2019, 09:41:10 PM »
First question. Are you reording 2.35:1? Starting point, the cinema script in lua section?

AF-OFF

• Freshman
  • 50Dc EOSM
« Reply #2406 on: March 09, 2019, 01:31:28 AM »
@Danne
was testing the march04 build with all presets .
found no corrupt recording at all with corrupted frames. did a fresh start and formatted the card in cam (canon menu) enabled after auto reboot the essential modules - crop rec, lua, mlv lite and sound & sd uhs
after reboot initialized the 2,35:1 cine script.
just downloaded the march 07 & 08 builds and will try more testing and more this weekend

Thanks to all and Danne!

marcelolippi

• New to the forum
« Reply #2407 on: March 09, 2019, 01:55:11 AM »
124/5000
yes I loaded module 2.35 1, can there maybe a max 60mbs sd speed  in writing?
However, I check with the new version. Thank you

Danne

« Reply #2408 on: March 09, 2019, 08:12:26 AM »
The sd_uhs module is highly experimental and will or will not increase card speeds. Sandisk ones seems more stable.

bobolee

• New to the forum
« Reply #2409 on: March 10, 2019, 06:14:38 AM »
Very cool!I tested the March 2019 build,the morie issue is solved !!This is another milestone in my opinion.
Now,can we have real FHD 24fps ?

alzubi

• New to the forum
« Reply #2410 on: March 10, 2019, 07:56:14 AM »

The thing is that monitors work when on 480p input on the monitor the problem is that majority of monitors dont have this feature i just purchased 2 diffrent monitors hoping to find one with the 480p input option and neither had the option. I purchased a feelworld s55 which is an overall great monitor but some of the firmwares have the feature and some of them dont. I didnt get one with the option.

The solution is to find out whats causing corrupt footage on 1080p or 1080i monitors, and why does it work fine when the monitor is set to 480p. I have a wedding im shooting later this year and without an external monitor im just not going to be able to use the eosm, probably will just pick up a blackmagic if i cant figure this out.

If we do figure this out it means anyone with $250-300 can have a full cinema rig capable of high quality raw which is insane. I just really want monitor support if anyone is willing to figure it out and does figure it out I will personally pay you.

marcelolippi

• New to the forum
« Reply #2411 on: March 10, 2019, 07:31:49 PM »
 Again, great work, the quality it's very good! I want to make only two question, the limit of write speed with sd overclock is more or less 55mbs? The cause of bads half frame pink are the card speed? Thanks

anto

• New to the forum
« Reply #2412 on: March 11, 2019, 12:22:40 AM »
Grande Danne!

alzubi

• New to the forum
« Reply #2413 on: March 14, 2019, 03:12:46 AM »
PSA the feelworld monitor zeek had gotten doesnt always come with the 480p or what its called in the menu as "camera mode" option. I purchased multiple monitors 3 to be exact hoping to find one that worked with my eosm and all 3 did not have the 480p option or the camera mode option. I have spent $500 on monitors trying to find one and have been unsuccessful.

The feel world i purchased even said it had the option but upon purchasing it did not and the support have yet to follow up with me im going to guess because there is not an actual way to switch firmware out of factory even though they claim the upgrade firmware port as a feature. 

If you want to look into it the monitor from feelworld that claims it as a feature is the f570 which is the same one used in the zeek video, and on their page : http://www.feelworld.cn/ShowInfo.aspx?id=519&py=

it even says its a feature. I can show proof that i dont have the option on firmware 1.25

gravitatemediagroup

« Reply #2414 on: March 14, 2019, 04:43:32 PM »
anybody else notice a flicker in latest build?  almost like a line sync effect

Danne

« Reply #2415 on: March 14, 2019, 06:45:17 PM »
What was your shutter set to? More info is needed. Steps to reproduce.

gravitatemediagroup

« Reply #2416 on: March 14, 2019, 10:59:01 PM »
1/50 ISO 800

Danne

« Reply #2417 on: March 14, 2019, 11:33:21 PM »
I really need more here. fps, preset used environment, maybe some recording of the issue, uploading the settings folder etc. Minimized answers/questions will not get us closer to solving.

gravitatemediagroup

« Reply #2418 on: March 15, 2019, 12:44:08 AM »

nothing changed from what the preset script loads. seems to only be doing it in 5x crop.  It doesn't do it at 1/100 shutter and above, only below. It's not just in cameras live view, it's baked in to the MLV file

about to load the March 14th build and see if it's still present

gravitatemediagroup

« Reply #2419 on: March 15, 2019, 01:08:20 AM »

Turning this off has stopped it.

Danne

« Reply #2420 on: March 15, 2019, 06:10:59 AM »
What preset was used in x5 mode? What preset script? I need more info. Instead of waiting for more riddles I would like you to upload:
1 - a short mlv file with this issue
2 - your SETTINGS folder from inside your ML folder on your sd card

I need exact steps to reproduce the issue.

masc

« Reply #2421 on: March 15, 2019, 08:04:48 AM »
@gravitatemediagroup: what is the light source in your pictures? Natural light or artifical light? 2nd might produce such artifacts, with or without ML.

Turning this off has stopped it.
--> artifical light and a setting on the edge.
5D2.212 | EOSM.202

AF-OFF

• Freshman
  • 50Dc EOSM
« Reply #2422 on: March 15, 2019, 06:39:15 PM »
last (march14) build
first did reformat the card
loaded crop-rec, lua, mlv lite und mlv sound, sd uhs
preset mv1080p MCM gets automaticaly activated (nice)
did activate sd uhs in crop mode submenu, disabled 25fps, didn`t change 12bit & 16:9 settings restarted the cam
in raw video submenu - resolution 1736x976, real-time, crop rec preview set to automode, sound recording off. restarted the cam
did some recordings. everything is ok. the green record indicator all time
switched to next preset - mv1080p 46 fps, restarted cam
did record 3 clips of 1000frames. unfortunately had there from 4 to 10 bad frames per clip.
all recordings show the red indicator first, changing to orange after some time
resolution was 1496x844.

also noticed focus pixels in MCM preset and no focus pixels in 46fps preset.

masc

« Reply #2423 on: March 15, 2019, 07:03:01 PM »
For 46fps preset, switch GlobalDraw=OFF. Otherwise you'll get much more corrupted frames.
For removing focus pixels use the latest focus pixel maps from dfort.
5D2.212 | EOSM.202

AF-OFF

• Freshman
  • 50Dc EOSM
« Reply #2424 on: March 15, 2019, 08:39:45 PM »
For 46fps preset, switch GlobalDraw=OFF. Otherwise you'll get much more corrupted frames.
For removing focus pixels use the latest focus pixel maps from dfort.

thank You masc
did turn on the new raw video submenu kill GD. did record several longer clips withous problems and almost without corruption (only 2 bad frames in several 1000 frames)
also  used with x3crop
I have installed the focus pixel maps from dfort

later I tested the 2.5k preset. at 2112x1188, 10bit lossless and 23,976 fps, without problems & after disabling the ratio of 16:9 in crop mode submenu, I increased the res in raw video submenu to 2520x1418 and did set fps override to 18fps, was able to record continuous, without any corrupted frames.

great Work Danne