Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teamsleepkid

it always seems like im too dumb to figure this stuff out but i followed all the instructions and i can't seem to get the full height mv1080 working. stuck at 864 pixels won't go any higher. tried the preset. maybe i should just install it again.
EOS M

Danne

QuoteAspect ratio value to 1:2
Tried that after selecting the preset in crop_rec?

AF-OFF

@Danne
Autostart the script breaks somehow the whole setup. BtW do You use the PAL or the NTSC preset in Canon menu?

@Teamsleepkid
if You can't get over the 864px therefore there is the script used for. even if this seems ridiculous, restart the cam afterwards. hope You will catch it.

Af-off

Danne

It does. Hm, will have to check that. Unfortunately tied up in vacation stuff. Have to get back on track after this.

Teamsleepkid

ooooh i was in 1:2:1 i got fooled
EOS M

AF-OFF

@Danne (aspect ratio set to 1:2)

Yes.
After the initial loading of all modules - set 3x3crop and execute one of those 3x3 lua script. restart again and the set the aspect ratio to 1:2 and the res should change to 1736x1120px.

@All
please follow the instruction carefully and this should work for You too....#1595

sidenote - with MLVFS and Resolve everything seems fine. in MLV App the resolution is shown as in cam, when halfpressing the shutter for framing (1:2) has to be corrected under the Edit -> Transformation - Height Stretch shows 1.67x have to be 1.0x

bakersdozen

@AF-OFF

your findings are the same as what I get. Seems to default to 1.67 stretch in MLVAPP too.
EOS M + 5D3

Danne

Mlv metadata has to be changed for this mode. Apps still works/thinks the cam is recording stretched material. Luckily Mlv App let's you select ratios manually as well so it can be corrected.

Danne

Quote from: AF-OFF on July 17, 2018, 11:48:59 PM
@Danne
Autostart the script breaks somehow the whole setup. BtW do You use the PAL or the NTSC preset in Canon menu?
Just tested enable sd overclocking set to autorun works over here. Exactly what issues are you having?

AF-OFF

@Danne
Just tested again. works perfectly. sorry for that confusion.

AF-OFF

Quote from: tupp on July 16, 2018, 07:20:42 PM
@AF-OFF

Now I just have to figure out the easiest post "workflow" in Linux.

Thanks!

I use MLVFS and Resolve and also the MLV APP by Ilia3101 , which is very nice! I wish You success with finding a solution which works for You.

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.0
https://ilia3101.github.io/MLV-App/

bakersdozen

I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue, or if someone can test it for me on the EOSM (2.0.2). Or point me to a thread - i've searched, but unable to come up with anything.

Taking FRSP in both dng and mlv format - I am unable to choose a custom dcp in ACR when post-processing. All the standard ones are available to select (ie. all adobe profiles, camera matching, artistic, Legacy, B&W etc.) however the one's I have added myself like BMDFilm, ML-Log and VisionLOG do not come up. Have tried with latest nightly and latest croprec experimental builds and both give the same result.

I know the profiles are loaded and normally working in ACR because they work with dng's from my 5D3.

Here are the files I am having trouble with.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qf41mp47lzr124/EOSM%20DNG%20files.zip?dl=0
EOS M + 5D3

Danne

You´re profiles are connected with 5D3 but not with other cams like eosm. Either that or the Unique Camera Model tag is incorrect or missing in your files. Checking the dng files that is not the case so you´re acr profiles need to be profiled also for the eosm. Solution. Ask the creators of the dcp profiles for further profiling.

bakersdozen

Quote from: Danne on July 19, 2018, 07:14:14 AM
Either that or the Unique Camera Model tag is incorrect or missing in your files. Checking the dng files that is not the case so you´re acr profiles need to be profiled also for the eosm. Solution. Ask the creators of the dcp profiles for further profiling.

Thanks Danne, this makes more sense now. Appreciate your help!
EOS M + 5D3

Danne

@alex
Retested this(magic numbers) and did edits to all tests(Edit 1). Think numbers are valid now. WIll try to squeeze in more tests if you have some more ideas to try. Thanks:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg203569#msg203569

a1ex

@Danne: thanks, will cross-check them with this commit.

"30 fps either 2222 or 2223" -> this doesn't match, likely typo; I've got 2022/2023; if it's not a typo, please check timer A as well.

I've pushed a commit that should reveal missing registers in certain modes. By default, adtg_gui hides stuff that changes "too often", as it's probably noise, but that includes registers that flip back and forth between two successive values, effectively averaging them to get something in-between.

Danne

Yes, typo, corrected.
Nice addon to the adtg_gui. Will check when time is here.

Danne

Did a quick dirty test on fps override with crop_rec(generic code) here:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/d556a102239697c650257b3010981356bbdae64c

Only with 720p mode. Firstly I need to hit menu button to get into crop_rec live view window(white bottom border before this even in 720p mode).
So initial tests first works fine but after a while image gets distorted and neon coloured. Happens randomly after changing fps override to lower or higher values.

Sidenote question. Trying to create an exception for eosm when filming mv1080p in raw.c.

For now all settings will apply this:
#ifdef CONFIG_EOSM
    /* EOS M exception */
    /* http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16608.msg176023#msg176023 */
    if (lv_dispsize == 1 && !video_mode_crop && !RECORDING_H264)
    {
/* breaks mv720p mode but works for mv1080p */
        *height = 1150;
    }
#endif

This of course breaks other settings but mv1080p so we need:
        *height = 727;
for the rest of the modes but then I notice there is no  crop_rec bindings with raw.c. Should I look in the config file or is there a way already to find out the exception somewhere else?

Danne

Quote from: a1ex on July 03, 2018, 06:43:51 PM
Binning factors and vertical resolution override can be updated from raw_info_update_cbr, so raw.c can stay untouched. Will post a patch soon.

Working this hint I managed to get a better mv1080p preview with eosm and in crop_rec setting:
"3x3_mv1080_EOSM"
Commit:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/commits/687dbf6df923f23dead32c9d0e24842bb70d5c9b

Still don´t really know how to handle this exception in raw.c:
#ifdef CONFIG_EOSM
    /* EOS M exception */
    /* http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16608.msg176023#msg176023 */
    if (lv_dispsize == 1 && !video_mode_crop && !RECORDING_H264)
    {
        *height = 1150;
    }
#endif

*height = 1150;
will break compatibilty with other modes since it needs to be *height = 727;
I asked before but is there a way to communicate between raw.c and crop_rec.c? Check for a register already set or so? Can the height exception be patched in raw_info_update_cbr as well so still leaving raw.c alone maybe?

dfort

Maybe do something similar to the is_5D3 code block at the end of the raw_info_update_cbr function?

Haven't tried it yet:

if (is_EOSM)
        {
            /* use this instead of the EOS M exception to set the height */
            if (CROP_PRESET_3x3_mv1080_EOSM)
            {
                *height = 1150;
            }
            else
            {
                *height = 727;
            }
        }

Probably needs some tweaking--almost nothing I do works the first time.

[EDIT] Since you need the exception in raw.c for when the crop_rec module isn't being used the "else" probably isn't necessary since the height is already set to 727.

Danne

Tried this before but:
Using ~/gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q3/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc (preferred).
Updated HGVERSION
[ README   ]   module_strings.h
[ CC       ]   crop_rec.o
crop_rec.c: In function 'raw_info_update_cbr':
crop_rec.c:2765:18: error: 'height' undeclared (first use in this function)
                 *height = 1150;
                  ^
crop_rec.c:2765:18: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make: *** [crop_rec.o] Error 1

undeclared identifier. With the level of my c coding this is considered advanced  :P

Here are examples with fixed framing preview in mv1080p for eosm.
real time preview(not all is shown)

framing preview before fix

framing preview with fix

dfort

Nice!

Tried it here and my screen display and mlv_dump is showing 3x3, yay! Also, the fps is showing 25fps no matter how the camera is set, right? Screenshot feature not working is it?

Super quick and dirty test--stretched the image a bit too much:

Yeah--my suggestions didn't work. Spent too much time trying different things and failing. Need some help from a1ex on this so it will work with the other resolutions.

Danne

Cool. Yes, fps is hard coded. If you check in crop_rec.c there are alternatives but maybe best if we could get fps modes to work with canon settings and fps override as with other cams.
Feedback welcome for exception making both for height but also for playing with reducing bits with analog gain registers...

Pacerx999

@danne any chance of a build with the updated preview for testing purposes.

I've been using the various EOS M builds in 4K crop rec on steroids, but I'm really interested in making mv1080 with the full sensor usable.

Happy to help with reports/logs if I can.

IDA_ML

I am also eager to test a new build with an updated preview on the 100D, Danne.  Any chance for that?