Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

Quote from: Shutterbutton on October 02, 2016, 05:38:43 PM
If you record in h.264 with FPS override your audio will be disabled  only if you have a microphone plugged in.

Weird--hadn't had a chance to check this out yet. I thought audio recording was disabled with FPS override turned on. Does the audio recorded with the camera's internal mic stay in sync?

Shutterbutton

Yes, the audio is synced without a mic (I was shocked about that).

biggles

Hi, I want to set a minimum shutter speed on my Canon M when in A mode. Since you can't do it in the default menus, I was hoping ML would let me set it, it's a very useful feature. After reading around, it seems that it's not possible in the stable v2.3 build, but it used to be in a module called Auto ISO, which is no longer developed and has been pulled from the official build. Am I understanding it right? Is there any way to get this feature? Is it in the nightly build? Do I have to enable that module somehow? The modules feature doesn't seem to be very well documented, so I don't really understand them. Thanks for your help. I'd like to have this feature available on my M.

Licaon_Kter

@biggles: Do not use that 2.3 version, it's years behind. Get the Nightly.

biggles

Ok, does it have that feature in the nightly that I want?

dfort

Control shutter speed while in full auto mode? I don't think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggles

No, set a minimum shutter speed that the camera won't go slower than, to be used in Av mode.

josepvm

Not in Av mode. But you can do that in Auto ETTR module, using M mode.

ETTR exposure calculation is slower than Canon autoexposure, but much more precise.

dfort

Quote from: Shutterbutton on October 02, 2016, 05:38:43 PM
Quick question to anyone who shoots video. I've recently started using external microphones with this camera and have come across an issue that I've never found in the 1+ year of using this camera with ML. If you record in h.264 with FPS override your audio will be disabled  only if you have a microphone plugged in.

I tested this with and without a microphone and only having a mic plugged in with FPS override kills the audio signal. Does anyone know the reason for this? Seems very random, as the camera has the ability to record the audio signal with nothing plugged into the jack.

Issue doesn't exist in RAW due to the MLV option for audio.

I finally got around to checking this out and I'm not getting any audio on the H.264 file when FPS override is enabled either with the internal camera mic or an external mic. It doesn't seem to matter what fps setting is used, even when adjusted to the same fps speed as the Canon menu (no override).

sschoepe

Is there a way to set different picture styles for movie and picture mode? On 600D that worked. If i remember right even a different global drawings setup was possible. That would be so great, cause i don't want to shoot flat pictures;)

Licaon_Kter

You are not shooting RAW where styles don't apply?

dfort

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on October 12, 2016, 02:42:56 AM
You are not shooting RAW where styles don't apply?

When using Canon Digital Professional Pro app picture styles do get applied to CR2 files. You can also switch picture styles with that program--with raw files only of course.

I suppose it can also be an issue if you want to shoot H.264 video in a flat picture style then switch to JPEG stills with a creative look picture style for color grading reference.

Though I don't know if it is possible to automatically switch picture styles when changing between movie and photo mode. However, when switching to full automatic mode it changes into an (auto) picture style no matter what picture style you have selected.

madz

Quote from: madz
P.S. I would love to shoot in crop mode (fantastic quality), but it need's fast wide lens and I can't afford it at this moment.

I change my mind about RAW in crop mode, I don't like it at all. The first impression was good, but after some more tests... yeah it's 1:1 and no lines skipping, but it becomes soooo soft, even with very sharp lenses and noise grain also now 1:1 :)

So, is there any chance to get mv1080 in some near future? Or is there somewhere an information about that, just to know if it's in the plans or not? Anyone?
650D.104 | EOSM.202

Flash Gordon

Hi I am trying to work out if I can use an EOS M in a wildlife camera trap. I have the latest ML firmware installed. I have the audio release on and a PIR sensor connected to the mic port using a stereo cable. I have been using a remote control car battery pack so that I can leave the camera switched on as it lasts much longer than the normal battery. I have Canon firmware 2.02 installed on the camera. What I have found is this:

If under power saving mode in the camera main menu I have "camera auto off" disabled and the LCD auto set to greater the 2 mins (2 mins is the interval setting on the PIR) the camera and PIR work perfectly. i.e. the camera is on and the pulse from the PIR fires the camera.

However once the LCD powers down the PIR does not trigger the camera even though it has sent a pulse to the camera and the camera green light is still on. Looking at the Power saving menu the longest I can have the LCD on for is 30 mins. Therefore as it stands if the camera is not triggered every 30 mins it will power down the LCD and for some reason the PIR will not trigger the camera. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Flash Gordon

Ok so I have done some tests with a remote cable release on the EOS M and the audio remote shoot enabled to rule out it being the signal from the PIR sensor I want to use with the camera. In a nutshell if the EOS M is on and the LCD is on the remote cable trigger works fine firing the camera. If the LCD switches off, even with the camera still on the cable release does not fire the camera. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. The camera limited the LCD to being on for a maximum of 30 mins according to the camera menu. I am at the point of giving up and sticking with a DSLR for camera traps / trail cameras which is a real shame.

dfort

So you need a way to keep the LCD active? What if you switch to the ML menu? There's code that keeps refreshing the display. Can't test it right now but it is worth a try.

dfort

Another idea is to write a lua script. Check on the scripting section. Someone could probably help you with that.

dfort

Quote from: dfort on October 17, 2016, 07:36:55 PM
What if you switch to the ML menu?

Ok--just tried it and that idea doesn't work. Audio RemoteShot cannot fire the camera while in the ML menu.

I would think that what you really want is for the LCD to be off and have the camera triggered by audio, or some other means. I'm assuming you're using Audio RemoteShot because the M doesn't have any way to use a cable release? You can use an infrared remote but it probably isn't suitable for your purposes because it has a 10sec. delay. I haven't checked if it will fire with the LCD off.

So the next step would be to write a lua script. This seems like an interesting problem that's perfectly suited for lua. Check out the lua scripting topic.

I posted a question there to see if someone familiar with lua scripting can tell us if there's a solution for you.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14828.msg173487#msg173487

Flash Gordon

Dfort your assumptions are correct basically I need the EOS M to stay on and allow the camera to be triggered using a cable release connected to the audio socket whilst the LCD is switched off.

dfort

@Flash_Gordon keep checking the lua scripting topic. It looks like there might be a way to get this working.

I've been thinking about your project and at first it seemed that the EOSM would be ideal for this application being so small and inexpensive compared to DSLR's. However, there may be a problem switching off the LCD because the EOSM must have LV on or it won't fire. Of course this means that it will be drawing a greater amount of current from the battery than a DSLR that can basically go into a sleep state while waiting for an event to wake the camera and fire the shutter. I just tried Audio RemoteShot on a 700D and it seems to work fine with the LCD off. Of course with a DSLR you've got the option of using a cable release to trigger the shutter.

Don't give up hope yet, there might be a way to get something working on the EOSM.

andresvina

Hi,
I am using ML everythings works fine for months, but since I started to shot long exposure even manual or intervalometer from ML, always raw photos, and different setups, SD cards, etc., I´ve got corrupted photos, below ejemple, so anyone had any similar one? even I´m thinking in a hardware problem....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/17017931@N06/30394580436

dfort

@Flash_Gordon are you keeping up with that LUA topic? I'm getting really close to a solution for you:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14828.msg173600#msg173600

PM me and I can wrap up a test build for you. In the meantime let's see what suggestions come up.

me.n.khof4sh

Hello Guys  :)
I'm new here and have a question.
Is it possible to make a headphone jack for 700D with ML?
If it is, please explain for me how.
I'd be glad for your help.

dfort

Quote from: me.n.khof4sh on October 22, 2016, 09:29:38 PM
Is it possible to make a headphone jack for 700D with ML?

You posted this in the wrong topic. This is for the EOSM. The 700D topic is: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5951.0

Here's a list of features for each camera: https://builds.magiclantern.fm/features.html

Sorry, headphone monitoring for the 700D isn't on the list. That means that the developers haven't been able to get it working--yet.

dfort

Quote from: andresvina on October 19, 2016, 06:37:08 PM
Hi,
I am using ML everythings works fine for months, but since I started to shot long exposure even manual or intervalometer from ML, always raw photos, and different setups, SD cards, etc., I´ve got corrupted photos, below ejemple, so anyone had any similar one? even I´m thinking in a hardware problem....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/17017931@N06/30394580436

Could you provide more information? Things like what is the date of the build you're using, at what shutter speed does this occur, what are your settings? CR2 or DNG or ?? Have you tried uninstalling ML and seeing if this is still occurring? That might point to a hardware issue.

By the way you can display images from flickr by "sharing" using "BBCode" and posting only the img tag. For example:

[img]https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5827/30394580436_64f811d2e1_z.jpg[/img]

Make sure you keep the image resolution less than 900x900 pixels as stated in the Magic Lantern Forum Rules.