Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Licaon_Kter

just press any button when the message is on screen ;)

StopGap

I feel like a dick - I'm sure I tried that earlier and nothing happened - particularly Delete. In any case, it's working now. Thanks.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: StopGap on February 12, 2016, 01:53:57 PM
I feel like a dick - I'm sure I tried that earlier and nothing happened - particularly Delete. In any case, it's working now. Thanks.
It will be fixed in the next build: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/2a1f972cdbd87e77059539622fd4308618fa9ae6

Done, all builds after Feb 13 have a little helpful text ;)

dfort

Quote from: keel on February 21, 2016, 04:14:03 PM
Can someone help me to understand the issue? Is the shutter/frame rate not writing fast enough to the card? Or is it set very low and I am not noticing?
I am using cropmode, and i assumed it was the telephoto effect (stabilization) but the video is lagging so badly, it seems like the frame rate is extremely slow.

It seems like you probably have FPS override turned on and set at a low setting. Some more information might help. Are you using MLV or RAW? What other modules do you have turned on?

sidenote- can i make the ML menu appear for longer, i barely have a moment to read before it disappears.

That's been an issue on the EOSM and a few other cameras for a while. The developers have tried several times to fix it.

Licaon_Kter

My liveview is lagging severely.
I thought maybe when I imported the video it might be okay, but the video is lagging as well.
Do detail your settings, fps, size, etc.
What SD card?

keel

the issue was the fps defaulting to a low number, once i adjusted it the issue went away. Feeling a little stupid, but very happy that first hurdle has been cleared. Thanks !

Dollar

Hi guys
Im new & have some problem
for the first time i tried to install latest Ml on my eos M
After format in low level & uzip files to root and update firmware for ML

it shows all command and restart camera command , when i restart camera nothing happened
default canon firmware running then i uninstall ML & install canon firmware then again install Ml but it running on canon firmware not Ml
Camera Boot with canon default not ML
what is problem

thanks

Walter Schulz

Read replies #923-925

DeafEyeJedi

Tap w two fingers on touchscreen OR press and hold the trash button for abt 2 seconds...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Dollar

Many Thanks  Walter Schulz & DeafEyeJedi

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 27, 2016, 10:19:03 AM
Read replies #923-925

The latest builds contain the "press button" tip already ;)

oogan

hello all, i am new here , using ML for quite few days and i love it.
i have seen new canon G16 or S120 camera which came recently , and i liked one perticular mode of shooting called "star mode" , can we have something like that in ML build ?? , its seems the setting are almost there in ML but for effortless shooting  if we have similar menu and features it will be great

Licaon_Kter

Describe what it does.

Teamsleepkid

Hi guys,

I've been searching a lot and not finding what I'm looking for. Would anyone be willing to upload some high quality footage to Vimeo for download or high quality footage to you tube? A lot of the footage I'm finding is rather old and looks low res. What I'm wanting to see is the sharpness and detail of the M with the raw hack. Lots of stuff I'm seeing has had sharpening added of is very shallow depth of field... Making it hard to judge sharpness and detail. Wide angle sharp footage is what I'm looking to see about f5.6 or f 8 aperture. Thank you.
EOS M

dfort

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on March 02, 2016, 01:53:22 AM
Would anyone be willing to upload some high quality footage to Vimeo for download or high quality footage to you tube?

Whatever gets uploaded there will be subject to lossy compression. What is it exactly that you want--to see the quality that is possible shooting raw video on the EOSM? It can pretty much stand up to any of the other Canon APS-C cameras in crop mode but it is terrible in full frame mode because it can only do what is called mv720 which does lots of line skipping and the aliasing is quite bad.

Here's a frame from the EOSM in crop mode using dual iso raw video: https://flic.kr/p/DoKXCV

Teamsleepkid

Yeah I'm mainly interested in crop mode. Like I said I can't really find any video that isn't shallow depth of field. I realize it's compressed that's why I was asking for Vimeo download. Also new videos seem to look better even on YouTube. Most of the vids of the M are from 2012 2013. I also realize it's hard to have a wide angle on a 3x crop. I'm just looking. I'm interested in the M but I just can't tell about sharpness and detail. I haven't seen anything very definitive. That still does look pretty good though btw. Thanks dfort.
EOS M

modachu

Hi, I am new here and have trouble in finding RAW video function.

I installed the latest version(magiclantern-Nightly.2016Feb29.EOSM202) of ML and didn't find the RAW video function.
I tried several older versions and couldn't find RAW video function.

Can someone tell me what's the problem? Many thanks!

dfort

@modachu

Step #1

Go to Modules and select mlv_rec.mo Press the Set button.

Step #2

Restart the camera and check to see that the module loaded.

Step #3

Go to the Movie menu, select Raw Video (MLV) and press the Set button to enable it.

Ok--there's more to recording raw video. You can enable mlv_snd.mo and record audio with your raw recording and mlv_play.mo that allows non-real-time in-camera playback. You also need to play around with the horizontal resolution, aspect ratio, crop vs. non-cropped mode, fps override--in other words there's lots of settings to try out until you find something that fits your needs.

There's also another module named raw_rec.mo which is an earlier implementation of raw recording that some users still prefer when they are pushing the limits of image size and/or fps.

I find that the best results when recording raw on the EOSM is with the Canon menu set to 1920x1080, ML menu set to 1280x720, Aspect Ratio 16x9, Movie crop mode turned on. This uses just a small section of the center of the sensor so you'll need to use much shorter focal length lenses. Fortunately it is easy to adapt C-mount lenses made for 16mm film or 1/2 or 2/3 inch video cameras to the EOSM to make a compact setup.

Note that the EOSM cannot do what is called mv1080 mode so don't expect it to match results you're seeing from the other cameras. Still, you can get some impressive results with the EOSM.

Oh yeah--then there's the focus pixels issue. Many of the shot posted on that topic were done with the EOSM.

EOSM MLV raw video frame shot in Movie crop mode, 1280x720, Dual_ISO

After focus pixel removal using MLVFS along with MLP

modachu

@dfort

Thank you very much for your kind reply and detailed instructions. It does solve my problem. It's sweet to have this forum and it helps all beginners a lot. Thank you again!

gerund

I just wanted to share that with sandisk 32gb sdhc uhs-I card I don't expirience the "shutter bug" (while using the 18-55mm IS EF-M lens)
I read on several places that the cause for the bug is not known (please correct me if I am wrong) and that using some cards "prevents" it from happen.

Danne

Well are you experiencing the shutter bug issue with other cards?

dfort

There are a few cards that can get you around the shutter-bug, the SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDHC U3 (Class 10) 95 MB/s SD Memory Card seems to be the most popular.

Note that the shutter-bug only affects EF-M zoom lenses. Primes and lenses mounted via a lens adapter don't seem to be bring up the shutter bug. There are several workarounds including turning the camera on/off/on within a second or so and twisting the lens off then on while the camera is powered on.

Here's more than you'll ever want to know about the shutter-bug: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/1893/eos-m-shutter-bug

HB 2E

Hello ALL. Love Magic Lantern on EOS M. I have searched and found info about All-I in Tragic Lantern and that it was merged into the current iteration of ML. I can't seem to find it in the menus. How do I Record in H264 All-I? Thanks

Licaon_Kter

It's not in, you need a special build.

An older one from @dpjpanone:
Quotehttps://www.dropbox.com/s/3d6zpxnndvhxpoa/magiclantern-Nightly.2015Aug21.EOSM202.zip?dl=0

If you want to try to record 44fps in 1080p crop mode, you have to set the compression method to ALL-I under "video hacks", just don't forget to set it back to IPP before you turn video hacks back off (read the menu comments)

Teamsleepkid

anybody got any sharp wide angle footage? Like trees... I wanna see some detail. :)
EOS M