Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Licaon_Kter

Now "1 finger touch" is used in place of Q in the ML menus or you mean something else?

Regarding buttons, there is one exception where M feels cramped, the Autoexpo module: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7208.msg136296#msg136296 you can't change some values since we don't have that extra wheel.

dpjpandone

when you plug in an external monitor, the touch screen stops working, therefore, there is no way to navigate ml menu when external monitor is attached.  Same problem if you're using a screen loupe viewfinder on the eosm screen, u have to remove the loupe to navigate, pain in the butt...

Licaon_Kter

Oh, right, then I'm glad somebody is able and willing to advance EOS M development.
I'll gladly test. ;)

dfort

Hi @dpjpandone

Glad you're going to dig into the code. A few of us users have been making some minor contributions and the EOS-M has gotten a few updates recently.

You probably figured it out by now but here's the only change you need to make to get an EOSM build from the current unified branch:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14959.msg148768#msg148768

Also, keep an eye on the EOSM issues and pull requests in bitbucket:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues?version=EOS-M

I'm currently on a vacation for a week but had to chime in when I heard about the good news.

dpjpandone

Hey, who removed all the resolutions from mlv module!!???  why does it jump from 1280 to 1600? when was this decision made?
And who said shutter fine tuning doesn't work? It absolutely works, point your camera at a monitor and adjust the value.....
was there stability issues with it?

Anyways, here is a thread regarding fix for alternate Q navigation: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15681.new#new

dpjpandone

Here is a test build: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycrof8qoxprna9k/magiclantern-Nightly.2015Aug12.EOSM202.zip?dl=0

with the following differences:

1. Play button acts as "Q" button when ml menus are open, now you can navigate without using the touchscreen (useful for external monitors)
2. Shutter Fine-tuning re-enabled (why was this disabled in the first place?)
3. MLV_Rec has 1472 and 1504 resolutions (optimal for shooting 2.39 aspect ratio on SD Card)

Next on my list:

1. fps override - let's fix this first so nightly builds will work again. Dunno if anyone has played with overcranking on other builds, but the EOSM shoots up to 45fps 1080p (crop mode, h264, low-light method) it's pretty awesome. So let's get that back working again.

2. magic zoom is useless in crop mode, we need to slow it down to stop the flicker, - this is lower on my list of priorities since I can navigate with my external monitor attached now...

what else? shutter bug? what's really going on with that, do you really believe the brand of memory card makes a difference? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Walter Schulz

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks @dpjpandone for the kind update on the M and will definitely test them out tonight after work.

Will report back results asap.

*cheers*
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

josepvm

what else? shutter bug? what's really going on with that, do you really believe the brand of memory card makes a difference? That doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't know why, but that's true, some cards do not show the shutter bug. Read the possible explanations by A1ex on the related issue thread on Bitbucket.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/1893/eos-m-shutter-bug

dfort

Make sure you check out the EOSM issues on bitbucket and make pull requests for these changes.

I'm still on vacation for another couple of days but I had yet another idea for the shutter-bug issue. If you note in the firmware disassembly there is a call to reboot all the properties after a firmware update. Maybe utilizing this in the same place as a1ex used for the 7D fix?

Thanks for taking this on dpjpandone.

DeafEyeJedi

@dpjpandone:

Seems that your build has failed link to the modules. Is there a workaround for this?

However, the playback button works great as a 'Q' -- good job on that!

*update*

If I choose 2 or 3 modules -- it works fine after restart. Seems the Deflicker and AutoExpo don't get along with others?

dpjpandone

You probably need to delete all the ml stuff from your card and then unzip the contents of the zip i posted. I'm gonna post a new build with the correct fps values for you to test later tonight.

DeafEyeJedi

You think I didn't know that?

C'mon...

I even set my cards to exFat every time I put a new nightly on it...

However, after following your directions precisely and still can't get 45 FPS to work with FPS override with crop mode hack enabled during h264 1080p recording, thoughts? It just stays at 31.xxx FPS.

Also FYI I notice the shutter nbrs were slightly off. If I set 1/30 according to canon UI then I go to ML UI which shows 1/48 which is off.

Anyway thanks and I look forward to your next update.

dpjpandone

that build doesn't have the fps changes, it's coming later, but the encoder won't record more than 34fps unless you set gop to 1, and gop controls were removed, best we can do in near future in unified is 34fps. I'll PM you some info later so you can play with higher fps. BTW, sorry the modules won't link, i didn't try autoexp to be honest...

DeafEyeJedi

Gotcha no problem and no worries. Also another note worth sharing is the fact that I had to type in my admin password to allow your build to be copied over to my SD card. Could that be related to the modules not linking properly?

Doubt it...

dpjpandone

Here is today's build with fps fixed. All available settings should be stable, and remember, you can still get 34fps 1080p crop, by overcranking from 30p

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2y9lrmjv5gerjr2/magiclantern-Nightly.2015Aug13.EOSM202.zip?dl=0

please confirm, so we can get nightlies working again. test procedure described here: http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14959.25

dpjpandone

dfort

Good going dpjpandone. So how do we get your work into the unified branch? It would be nice to get nightly builds working again and it looks like you worked on that too. Any progress on the shutter-bug? I'm not a developer but let me know if there's anything I can do to help push EOS-M development along.

dpjpandone

I made pull requests for the fixes, we just have to wait for them to be merged. I just ordered the 18-55 so maybe  if i start to experience the shutterbug I'll be able to help. BTW, what is your name on bitbucket? I'll add you as a reviewer on my PR's

dfort

I'm Daniel Fort on bitbucket. My old Unix login, dfort, was taken.

Your changes aren't in the unified pull requests queue which is one of the reasons I asked how to get your work into the main branch--and eventually into the nightly builds.

Quote from: dpjpandone on August 19, 2015, 06:04:10 AM
I just ordered the 18-55 so maybe  if i start to experience the shutterbug I'll be able to help.

With that lens and just about any card that isn't a SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDHC U3 Memory Card (Class 10) you'll become very familiar with the shutter-bug. I've got a few cards that will guarantee it and one old and very slow 1GB Kodak card that somehow isn't affected so we know it isn't the speed of the card that's the problem. You've probably seen the issue tracker for the shutter-bug on bitbucket. Ay ya yay.

nikfreak

Quote from: dpjpandone on August 19, 2015, 06:04:10 AM
I made pull requests for the fixes, we just have to wait for them to be merged. I just ordered the 18-55 so maybe  if i start to experience the shutterbug I'll be able to help. BTW, what is your name on bitbucket? I'll add you as a reviewer on my PR's

Check my comment over there. No need to call lv_vsync_signal twice!
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

dpjpandone

ok, think i fixed it, added u as reviewer, can't test till I get home

dmilligan

You created a pull request against your own repository. You need to create a pull request against the unified branch of the main ML repository. If you've done it correctly, you should see your PR in this list: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/

dpjpandone

got it now, thanks for that!

dpjpandone

FYI - shutter fine tuning DOES in fact work, and always has. Someone must have disabled it because they overlooked the fact that timer changes are not applied until you press record (Full Frame mode)  when in crop mode changes are applied immediately. I have submitted a pull request so that we can get this feature back in nightlies.  Thanks to DeafEyeJedi for bringing this to my attention!

EOSM is a funny little thing. It's the only camera that idles in 720p, (hence the squeezed raw video) and the only reason i can think of for doing this is that it somehow conserves battery life. After all, it's battery is about half the capacity of an lp-e8 or similar. I wonder if we can eventually find a way to trick it into staying in 1080p all the time so that we can record full frame raw video without the squeeze factor...