Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feureau

Btw, EOS-M nightlies have failed for the past couple-a months. Can someone have a look at it please?

Walter Schulz

It was broken for a reason and we are waiting for a1ex to find time to review work done on this very item and convert it into code.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14959.msg150024#msg150024

feureau

Ah, I see. Thanks

Anyway, some assert logs:

ML ASSERT:
lv
at ../../src/raw.c:1690 (raw_lv_request), task shoot_task
lv:0 mode:0

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2015Apr19.EOSM202
Mercurial changeset   : e08c6c0be070 (unified) tip
Built on 2015-04-18 22:08:28 UTC by [email protected].
Free Memory  : 160K + 3302K

ML ASSERT:
lv

Free Memory  : 160K + 3302K

ML ASSERT:
lv

Free Memory  : 159K + 3302K

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: feureau on July 04, 2015, 05:50:30 PM
Anyway, some assert logs:

Yeah the M get's plenty of those, being a LV only camera.

TheMash

Hi guys,
I'm successfully recording in H264, with 3.0x bitrate settings. I get values of about 90-120mbps.
I've read that above 1.4x video and sound doesn't mix very well.
I've made a try and on a one minute clip everything looks fine.
What are supposed to be side effects on audio when recording with bitrates higher than 1.4x?
Strangely, I'm able to record very long clips at x3.0 bitrate and high iso (3200) on EOS M (SDHC Sandisk Extreme 32gb 60mb/s) and I had problems on my 5D Mark II at same settings instead (but with CF Sandisk Extreme 8gb 60mb/s), the recording stops when I film dark areas (I suppose the data rate increase further).
On both cameras I'm using Cinestyle PP.

feureau

I was trying to shoot this timelapse and tried the intervalometer. The camera fires, and then it locks up. I thought this was the shutter bug thing but I was using the EF-M 22mm. And afterwards I can't take a picture with my EOS-M again. If I hit the shutter it will just lock up. I tried shooting without ML, and every time I hit the shutter it just locks up and I had to pull out the battery. I'll play around with it to see if I can get it fixed. I tried removing the lens with the power on but no dice.

core dump: https://mega.nz/#!uw1DgY6R!uCloB-3TsHboryD8O_8fTUvwGYiLPvlGPLrW8bDRpC8

Error log:

[9] ?: NULL PTR (80c3e100,e1a00000)
pc=    7ef4 lr=19980218 stack=17cf70+0x400
entry=ff0d0d68(0)
e1a00000 e59ff014 e59ff014 e59ff014
e59ff014 e1a00000 e59ff010 e59ff010

Free Memory  : 183K + 3479K

josepvm

Are full res silent pictures activated in your cam? If true, to take pictures you need to use a half shutter press. A full press causes an error.

vertigopix

Hello friends,

Is it possible to disable the touch screen of the EOS M ? (eg with an hot key...)
It can be interesting because sometime my clothes changes settings without telling me...   ;)

a1ex

Is there any such setting in Canon menu? If so, one should be able to find the associated property and attempt to change it.

Another option would be to block touch events (gui.h) in the button handlers (return 0 to block an event). This one shouldn't be very hard to implement (even the Lua scripting engine could handle it).

vertigopix

Pleased to read you a1ex, i hope you're okay !

QuoteIs there any such setting in Canon menu?
No... You can adjust the sensitivity (standard/sensitive) or enable/disable touch shutter.

Canon as been asked for this function by users in another forums but nothing new for now.

feureau

Quote from: josepvm on July 09, 2015, 12:30:04 AM
Are full res silent pictures activated in your cam? If true, to take pictures you need to use a half shutter press. A full press causes an error.

It was not activated.

olliedtog

great thread here, soon will be uploading ML to both of my EOS M bodies. In the mean time was doing some your tube research and came across this:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?action=activate;u=57668;code=6af992ae69

4K with ML and an EOS M - Is that possible?

Any advice on this would be great

Cheers Guys

dfort

@olliedtog

Wrong link?

Quote from: olliedtog on July 15, 2015, 10:49:35 PM
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?action=activate;u=57668;code=6af992ae69

I've done 4K movie files with ML and EOS-M but that was shooting timelapse on full-res raw frames so technically I started out much higher than 4K.

dmilligan

People that mention 4K are trolling for views (with the exception of time lapse stuff). It's a buzzword and it attracts clicks. All they did was upscale the footage to 4K. It is silly to call such footage 4K and it's very misleading. Effectively all they have achieved is to force youtube to compress their footage at a higher bitrate.

Personally I'd be in favor of removing such posts (or at least scrubbing references to 4K) and banning users who continue to post such nonsense. It certainly does not help drive this project forward, in fact very much the opposite, only serves to confuse users.

dfort

That was olliedtog's first post and the link was wrong so nobody can follow up on it.

Glad I mentioned time lapse, hope I'm not banned--yet. Well, I did mention 4K in a General Chat topic I started about image stacking to increase resolution:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15306.msg149257#msg149257

I guess I'm still on topic here because the camera used was an EOS-M.

Straying into dangerous territory I might mention that I worked at a job where I was involved with preparing demonstration footage of an animated feature for a new wide screen UHDTV. The source material was 1968x816 and instead of re-rendering, which they could have done, they just upscaled the footage. All of this reminds me of several years ago when audio equipment manufactures were pushing 24-bit 96k audio yet some of the best sounding mixes at the time were coming out of Skywalker Sound and they were still using 16-bit 44.1k.

I like Magic Lantern because anyone can jump in and participate--of course that could be a disadvantage too.

feureau

Crash log:

[9] ?: NULL PTR (80c3e100,e1a00000)
pc=    7ef4 lr=19980218 stack=17cf70+0x400
entry=ff0d0d68(0)
e1a00000 e59ff014 e59ff014 e59ff014
e59ff014 e1a00000 e59ff010 e59ff010

Free Memory  : 183K + 3479K

Core dump: https://mega.nz/#!PokzgYjL!bU4r80-0jGIoiJ83sB5LDK6x-U1XtuF6-ThoLKZGZC4

dfort

Pretty geeky -- hopefully a developer can help you out.

Speaking of geeky, a few of us have been trying to work on the shutter-bug issue. I'm not sure if we're getting close to a solution but we're learning a lot. Check it out:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/1893/eos-m-shutter-bug

DeafEyeJedi

@dfort:

Unfortunately, I agree with your statements "what is going on?" and I still don't know to this day how I got rid of the shutter bug. Or even if I Did or Not?

Does it matter on the card sizes or with/without EF adapter?

I don't mind getting myself back on track with the M boat to get this rolling again w you guys!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dfort

@DeafEyeJedi - Earlier today I compiled a version from the dm-spy-experiments branch and it is creating some interesting logs of the boot process. I posted a download link on the bitbucket shutter-bug issue page.

Here's more info about Intercepting DebugMsg with cache hacks:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2388.msg113154#msg113154

olliedtog

Sorry guys from the wrong link posted in a hurry so will try and dig it out again, was just surprised at saying 4k! Will be adding ML to my EOS M soon, now I have two bodies and my now full kit ready to run & gun shoot.
Am off to a car show at Santa Pod UK next weekend so will be filming as much as I can. Will post a ;ink to any clip as well.

One question is it a good idea to get a larger memory card when using ML?

Cheers Peeps and happy shooting!

Walter Schulz

At about 40 MByte/s data rate one hour footage will sum up to about 141 GByte ...

dfort

Run & gun in 4K video with an EOS-M? Don't get your hopes up. This is what dmilligan was referring to when said:
Quote from: dmilligan on July 16, 2015, 03:17:10 AM
Personally I'd be in favor of removing such posts (or at least scrubbing references to 4K) and banning users who continue to post such nonsense. It certainly does not help drive this project forward, in fact very much the opposite, only serves to confuse users.

Please understand that those 4K videos you saw were all time lapse. If you found one that wasn't a time lapse it was probably just scaled up. The image stacking that I'm experimenting with is just another method of scaling up. The Magic Lanterns developers have stated that shooting 4K with the current Canon models that can run ML is physically impossible. We users should accept this.

Quote from: olliedtog on July 21, 2015, 12:25:29 PM
One question is it a good idea to get a larger memory card when using ML?

Short answer: The best card to date as far as capacity, speed and is free of the EOS-M shutter-bug is the SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDHC U3 Memory Card (Class 10).

Longer answer: Are you planning on shooting raw? H.264? Time lapse using full resolution raw? Are you using EF-M zoom lenses? Do you also plan on shooting run & gun stills? All of these questions are relevant when choosing the best card for your needs. Get too big of a card when shooting H.264 and you run the chance of losing many hours of footage if the card gets corrupted. Too small of a card when shooting raw video and you quickly run out of space--see Walter Schultz's comment for a ballpark figure at the highest possible data rate for the EOS-M.

Oh and if you think raw (MLV) is the holy grail of video, the EOS-M is pretty much limited to around 1280x720 and less--not exactly 4K.

Just a reality check  :-X

DeafEyeJedi

Perfectly well said @dfort, I agree with the fact that SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro Class 10's are mainly free from the SB and don't forget the battery life isn't so up to par especially for run n' gun type of shooting unless you want to carry around 5-6 (or more) pieces with you all day.

Don't get me wrong though I do admit that it is still a FUN little toy to own and ML is just icing on the cake for the M!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dfort

Hey EOS-M users. Thought I just might report some EOS-M posts you may have missed.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/1893/eos-m-shutter-bug
QuoteFinally, something significant to report.
Matthias Bretz found the key. After a few practice runs I got the Play-Button-Power-Button combination timing down and got a consistent StartupCondition : 4, 0 on all the cards. This killed the shutter-bug on the cards that exhibited the shutter-bug and the cards that didn't exhibit the shutter-bug continued to function without the shutter-bug.
So now we need help from a developer to figure out how to get this to happen every time the EOS-M is powered on:
PropMgr:ff23cfb4:81:03: StartupCondition : 4, 0

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15550.msg151516#msg151516
Quote@DeafEyeJedi - Good tip. The Trash button on the EOS-M is equivalent to the Del button on other cameras. I tried it out an not only does it work but the custom function assigned in the Canon menu - custom function 6 (C.Fn IV:Operation/Others Trash) also works. Well all except if the trash button is assigned to bring up the ISO menu.

Disease

Hi I cannot find this information anywhere.
I just want to know if the EOSM will shoot 1080p at 60fps (or more?) in normal avchd mode?