Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Licaon_Kter

Trash is traditionally ( aka on other cameras ) used to bring up ML menu, now given that M has a limited number of buttons things get crammed in, hence you have 2 fingers touch for ML menu on M.

I think you've seen my bug report regarding Trash as ISO selector, so I think ML and Canon might fight for it a bit sometimes.

Anyway, I did get Trash to open ML menu but it was really rare, right now having it set up to centre like you said it looks like it's working as it should ( I mean it centres the focus point ).

On that note, is not easier for you too to touch the centre of the screen instead and use trash for ISO or whatever? I find the whole touch to focus much better than the traditional navigate the points with the controller way.

dfort

I like the touch screen but I also like having options. Some of the ML submenus can only be accessed by touch. At least I haven't figured out any other way. Not complaining, but the EOS-M doesn't have many buttons to work with--then again neither do iOS and Android devices.

Licaon_Kter

Well yes, 1 finger touch is the missing Q button.

DeafEyeJedi

For the life & sake of EOS-M -- @dmilligan saved myself from selling this tiny beast. Couldn't stand the PDR nightmares!

MLVFS sure enough got rid of the PINK DOTS and what a beauty - Thanks @dmilligan!

Not too bad for a $200 toy...

MLV shot on EOS-M w Nikkor 50 1.4 AI
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

vertigopix

Happy to see a lot of activity around the M !  :)
Il like this "small big one" !

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on June 10, 2015, 09:49:50 AM
For the life & sake of EOS-M -- @dmilligan saved myself from selling this tiny beast.
Umm wasn't common knowledge that PDR can be removed ? :P

I had a recent RAW clip that was showing some colour artefacts on some frames, besides PDR that is, red/blue/white pixel groups on some black parts of the image, cs5x5 and bad-pix saved the day! ;)

Now, if a1ex could defeat these 2 beasts: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/2255/mlv_sound-working-only-on-the-first-video and https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/2254/star-bbaf-during-raw-recording-crashes-ml things would be perfect :D

DeafEyeJedi

I have been aware of PDR being effective for years -- it was either the stupidity or laziness of me who couldn't get around it until I just decided to give it a shot with MLVFS because previously I had failed with other methods on Mac's (RawTheraPee, ACR Defringe, etc).

it's just a PITA for me, especially when I have my other cameras that can be ready to color grade right off the bat... Ya know?

But like you said, CS and Bad-Pix saved the day and always will be able to!  8)

Good stuff to know on your end, Thanks for sharing @Licaon_Kter and the M is only in the beginning of a great long somewhat of a career ahead! lol

*I can also confirm that MLV audio only works with first clip and not the next one unless I power off the camera as well as the star-baff crashes*

Licaon_Kter

BTW during NLE work I keep it at cs2x2 for speed but before export I restart MLVFS with cs5x5/badpix/stripes/whatever is necessary.

DeafEyeJedi

and it doesn't affect the quality negatively? resolution loss or some sort of?

I'll do another export and see for myself.

;)

dfort

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on June 10, 2015, 10:31:19 AMNow, if a1ex could defeat these 2 beasts: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/2255/mlv_sound-working-only-on-the-first-video and https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/2254/star-bbaf-during-raw-recording-crashes-ml things would be perfect :D

And once this gets resolved so we can get our nightly builds back:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/6cf6b881dc18c84d1da70df8d2063e7b9423f92f

There are other bugs specific to the EOS-M including the infamous shutter-bug. Pitch in and help if you can.
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues?version=EOS-M

BTW--Going through the steps to reproduce the bugs is a good way to help developers and learn the capabilities and limitations of ML on this little camera.

peste777

How know if my camera used was used with ML, my eos m have shooter bug only with Toshiba card class 10. Thanks
With sandisk class 10 is normal, and if i push the lens works with Toshiba!!!
A unica maneira de estar sempre certo, é nunca ter uma verdade absoluta. - Eduard Lopes
Blessed be friends.

Walter Schulz

Install ML and you will have a screen telling you if cam's bootflag has already been set. Then wait 30 seconds and cam's bootflag will be removed.

peste777

:D :D 8)
thanks walter!!! my two cards toshiba works perfect now after remove the flag.
this shooter bug is in some memory cards, now all works!really thanks!
I got rid of a debts.

now, i want install ML for video raw, and i see nightly verision magiclantern-Nightly.2015Apr19.EOSM202.zip
i want video raw, this version have this ¿?

I wonder  if install this need use Eoscard.exe and mark "EOS_DEVELOP" and "BOOTDISK".
or only this
"Installation
Format the card from the camera.
Make sure you are running Canon firmware 2.0.2.
Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update."

verry thanks for your time! and sorry my english, i from brasil.
A unica maneira de estar sempre certo, é nunca ter uma verdade absoluta. - Eduard Lopes
Blessed be friends.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: peste777 on June 18, 2015, 07:29:04 PM
"Installation
Format the card from the camera.
Make sure you are running Canon firmware 2.0.2.
Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update."
This!

maxEmpty

so the last 5 failed nightly's are very fixable, but a1ex wants the eos m community to fix fps.engio because it is slightly broken and causes exposure problems for some people ( me included ). that's great that he wants us to fix it but if after 2 months we haven't had any progress and removing fps.engio caused the build failures we should just put it back broken and fix it later. Buggy ML is better than no ML. Also if anyone knows how to fix fps override please do so, or if hudson is reading this please add the fps override back on to the fps override builds.
if at first you cant get L glass... Sell everything you own and get L glass.

josepvm

The last successful build, from april 19th, works Ok, and it's not so different from current code. So it's not true that we do not have ML for the EOS-M.

And you can learn to build ML code yourself. It's not so hard (either in the cloud, with virtualbox, or using a Linux or OSX machine, everything is explained in the forum) and this way you can use the latest code, from "Unified" or from experimental branches, and you will be able to contribute better with the project, helping to test new features and to fix bugs.

palacita

Is there any new update of the ML for EOS-M ?

josepvm

No, read the post immediately above yours: no new builds for EOS-M since april 19th, and until the FPS limits get fixed.

Licaon_Kter

peste777

I do not know what to do, already tried in every way to set this camera ,not found any way to configure.

i received this " frame skipped stopping " and video dont have 1080p resolution, I"m LOST

i need help! thanks.

i use nightly verision magiclantern-Nightly.2015Apr19.EOSM202.zip
Blessed be friends.

Walter Schulz

SD-card interface write speed limit for EOS M: About 41 MByte/s.

josepvm

Are you trying to shoot raw video? You cannot shoot raw at 1080p, because SD card interface cannot write at speeds higher than 40 MB/s. RAW recording is only possible at resolutions of 720p or lower.

peste777

Thanks for this information,  720p is good, the problen is i dont configure this, is verry hard and need one help,like a manual  or simple user guild
Blessed be friends.

dfort

Quote from: peste777 on June 22, 2015, 02:11:43 AM
Thanks for this information,  720p is good, the problen is i dont configure this, is verry hard and need one help,like a manual  or simple user guild
Shooting raw on the EOS-M is a bit tricky but it can be done. First of all you must be using a fast enough SD card. The camera has about a 41 MByte/s data transfer limit and uses UHS-1 cards so a really fast UHS-II won't help at all. I use SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I SDHC U3 Memory Card (Class 10).

The best results I've seen are with these settings:

Use Magic Lantern Video with audio (mlv_rec.mo and mlv_snd.mo modules loaded)
You have to go to the ML audio options to turn MLV Sound ON.
Note that raw_rec.mo also works but you can't record sound.
Canon movie setting 1920x1080 24fps
Movie crop mode ON
ML RAW video (MLV) ON and set to 1280x720

It is a bit confusing that the Canon movie size needs to be set up for 1920x1080 but that's the only way to record in 24fps (actually 23.98) The ML menu sets the raw video frame size.

Note that you will have to deal with the focus pixels (a.k.a. pink dot removal or PDR) in post production and if your sound is important you'll have to reboot the camera after each take because of this:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/2255/mlv_sound-working-only-on-the-first-video

Having to shoot in Movie Crop Mode might seem strange at first. After all you bought a camera with a large sensor for the shallow depth of field but the line skipping that the EOS-M uses to record 1 megapixel (1280x720) video on an 18 megapixel sensor causes all sorts of aliasing and morié issues.

Of course there are lots of other setting that can be used. Writing up a full EOS-M raw video shooter's guide is rather futile because few people use it and users keep coming up with different configurations that work best for them.

inxlee

Can I check is the current build not working properly? Read there is some issue with the shutter bug? trying to download but the download page states This Build Failed! Any hope where I can download ML and install it on my EOS M? Much appreciated guys!