Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeredmckenna

hey thanks man! so cool!

markymark

Just a quick question I have just brought a EOS M and wanted to know if the ML firmware is installed into the camera or does it run of the sd card.

Walter Schulz

Look at the picture in the first post of this thread.
There are 3 requirements:
- Camera bootflag set. This one is indeed located in the cam. Has to be done once.
- Bootable card. Each and every card you want to run ML from has to be enabled.
- ML files on card: Autoexec.bin (= ML "firmware") + ML directory (modules, settings and other stuff).
For installation you need a ML FIR file, too.

Cam with bootflag set will look for a bootable card. If found it will load Autoexec.bin and run ML as a task. Very much like a program loaded at startup in your computer.

markymark

Thanks for the info, so if there is no ML software on the sd card it will use the Canon firmware ?

Walter Schulz

It will always use Canon's firmware because ML is not firmware but a task running on Canon's firmware (= OS). And of course ML won't run if no bootable card is there.
Top of page -> User Guide -> FAQ

markymark

Once again thanks for the info :)

jeredmckenna

UPDATE on "Zebras not working at non-native ISO numbers"

This, for some reason, is no longer and issue on my camera. I posted earlier that zebras were not working, but they are now. So, ignore that earlier post (which you probably already have :) 

UPDATE 1 - 19 - 2015

Well, again, the Zebras, when using non native ISO numbers, no longer show up. I don't know why it worked for a time. But now the Zebras disappear when I use 320, 640, 1250, etc. When I use 100, 200, etc, the Zebras show back up. The Zebras always disappear when I am actively in the ML menu, but this has been expected.

feureau

So, anyway, I got an EOS-M that's still factory default, with no bootflag and doesn't use ML. One day it just crashed while I was shooting, and when I turned it on again, if I use the green A auto mode, the frame would be in 1:1 cropped mode. There's no way to return this to regular 3:2 mode even after resetting to factory default, so now one of my EOS-M is stuck in 1:1 when in Auto mode. Not that I complain. *shrugs*

I just want to put this out there in case someone experience the same thing. Changing crop mode would be a nice thing to have in ML though.

EVVK

feureau, if factory reset doesn't work. Try re-flashing the official firmware update (again) even if you already are on that version.

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_M.aspx?type=firmware

slvrscoobie

So i just received 2 Sandisk Extreme 32gb SDHC cards from BB- First thing I did was load ML onto them, and 2 EOS M's (one visible, one IR) have been working without the shutter bug on the 11-22 and 18-55.
interesting...
However, I think I did something similar to the Samsung 64gb card I got a when they were on sale, and it worked for a while, and then I did something to it and now it doesnt...
wonder if its a matter of location on the SD Card or something.

KirstChat

Just installed the latest EOS-M nightly build but the menu doesn't appear when I tap two fingers on the screen, just the ML info screen. Anyone else had this problem?

2blackbar

we all had it, just press SET button  ;)

eos450d

does focus trap work with EOS M?
Is there an overview which functions works on every modell?

Marcandsebe

I have the Eos M2 and firmware version is 1.0.2. I don't surpose Magic Lantern will work with it.

DeafEyeJedi

@Marcandsebe -- do a simple upgrade from a Canon's site to get the latest firmware (2.0.2) from here... http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_m_ef_m_22mm_stm_kit?WT.mc_id=C126149#DriversAndSoftware

and then install nightly for EOS-M from here... http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dmilligan

EOS M2 is an entirely different camera. You will not be able to run ML on it until someone ports it.

DeafEyeJedi

Didn't see you wrote down Eos-m2 til just now... My apologies on that typo!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

vaclav

Hello, could you help me with problem with Advanced bracketing on EOS M?
In Av mode: Bracketing type: exposure, frames: 2 , increment: 1EV, sequence: for example 0 - --, ISO shifting: OFF, Post scripts: OFF
First couple of bracketed pictures is ussually good, from second picture starts unforeseen behavior: burst of pictures - sometimes incrementaly bracketed (for example: first -1EV, second -2EV, third -3EV and so on, and so on...), sometimes with standard exposure. Number of pictures seems to be random (five or more). After burst of bracketed pictures, exposure compensation stays with last values (for example -5EV). I can'n find any way to use advanced bracketing in Av mode.

Other settings: RAW, WB: K, No AutoISO, no intervalometer, no motion detection, no Auto Lighting Optimizer, ML: nightly 2015Jan03 EOSM202 (older builds with the same problems)
In M mode, everything is O.K.

I tried the same settings with 5D III and there is no problem, everything is O.K. in M and Av mode as well (I was testing ML on theese cameras for first time in last several days).

Many thanks to developers an ML community for amazing work!

Studio79

Hey Everyone, I'm planning on using my Canon M for remote purposes during certain sporting events. I want to use the M because it's smaller than my 7D and can fit in tighter spaces. The issue, of course, is remote firing. I use Pocket Wizards Plus X. I downloaded the latest ML build and it doesn't seem to have the "sound trigger" feature. Any idea which update had it last??
Canon...... lots and lots of Canon

Walter Schulz

Not available for EOS M:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features
Shoot -> Audio_remote_shot

volvic53

Hi all

Firstly many thanks to all the developers for the eos-m software which is installed and working in my camera. I am an experienced film cameraman since the 70's but relatively new to the digital technology, hence need the help of you "young-guns" with some questions.

I have carried out quite a few experiments regarding the bit-rate settings. I have shot static shots as well as repeatable pan & tilt sequences on both static and moving subjects. I have repeated each test on 1x (default) 2x and 3x bit rates to examine the difference. Problem I have is that visually I can see no difference at all between 1x, 2x, 3x bit rates even though I can see the overall bit rate chance from 43.9 to 61.3 (which in fact does not go above 61.3Mbps regardless of setting). On 1x the average bit rate is 43.9, this increases to 61.3 at 2x setting but will not go above that at any setting above 2x (in fact it's about 1.8x).

Visual checks were done on various platforms including Premier Pro, VLC etc (including magnified modes) as well as HD Panasonic 50" monitor and MediaInfo for digital information. I have checked to make sure settings work and if bit rate is reduced (say 0.6x) the picture obviously degrades. All tests were done in same lighting/asa/speed conditions  (100asa 1/50th 25fps 6400degK) with 50mm prime Nikkor AI lens and 95MB/s ExtremePro SD card.

I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me if they can see definite change in quality in any setting above 1x (default) and if so, which area(s) they see the improvements? I might be missing something? No age jokes please as yes I have new glasses, can see and got few younger friends to double check the visual tests lol!.

Many thanks in advance and best regards to all...

2blackbar

I came to the same conclusion , there is no difference between 1x and 2x but there is huge difference between 0.9x and 1x.
Maybe there is some more detail with a lot of movement but its really not that visible to justify bigger files so its just better to leave it at default.

volvic53

Many thanks "2blackbar" good to know we weren't imagining it :-) Likewise, will keep to default and save space on storage.

RavingRover

magiclantern-Nightly.2015Jan15.EOSM202

Saw the posts about CBR and this must be a build issue. I certainly was seeing up to 235mbps bit rates for 2kHD using a TragicLantern load a while back. I recently did some video w/ latest ML, set to 2.5CBR, and the resulting vids were peaking at 114mbps rates, some at same setting only show around 99mbps.

Just performed a 2.9CBR vid out the window and it shows - peaks to 155mbps, mostly 135mbps peaks. I then upped it to 3.0CBR and got - crash/stop - 4-5 secs only - peak around 160mps!

I loaded in the 'last' TL build - tragiclantern-v31337.TRAGIC.2014Dec19.EOSM202 - at 3.5CBR it crashed - <10secs only (saw a peak of 168mbps), went down to 3.2CBR and got peaks of 133mpbs.

Put in my old TL load (used for audio remote trigger) which I believe was where I saw 235mbps peaks and - only saw 150mbps peaks - and 3.5CBR crashed after 10 secs, whereas 3.2 worked fine - about 133mbps.

So either I am GREATLY MISremembering getting peaks of 235mbps (saw when SD card was new) OR since my card has been useds LOTS, a reformat and so forth may show those higher results - which I think some ppl have seen when attempting RAW video.

So, 133mbps = 133/8 is ~16mBps, FAR from the 30mBps M SD writer speed capability (30mBps * 8 = 240mbps) of M (once again I think we think that is the speed limit of the writer ?).

So something has changed in the year or so I saw 235mbps peak, and the only change was/is the fairly heavy use of my SD card and NO reformat or conditioning !! (Sandisk  UHS-II 80mBps read, 60mBps write or some such)

So maybe reformat/condition your fast SD card before doing critical video - test and see !!

On the other hand, I do not think using the Canon encoder algorithm, that a 200mbps recording is any usefully better than is a 133mbps or maybe lower.

Most of the above testing was done in 'crop' mode, both TL & ML so a higher bit rate and crop mode will give you the 'BESTEST' Canon video, maybe as good as RAW via ML/TL or better !! 

PS: But honestly Canon 1080p 2kHD video is so soft that it barely looks better than other makes 720p !!  This really is a shortcoming of Canon at the moment - IMO ! And 4kHD blows it away even via an iPhone 4kHD !!

Good Luck ALL !!