Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tweak

Why would anyone choose a T3i, 600D etc over the M for a cheap ML soloution??? Am I missing something here? The M does everything I need and more with ML and I rarely have a problem with it. Not to mention Raw on the M is better than others in it's class and price range.

Also I'm pretty suprised by the amount of people that ask questions on here that have absolutely nothing to do with ML... for gods sake read the manual or do a bit of research first!  :D

REAL question - Does anyone else have a problem with the "Greyscale" live view when shooting RAW??? All the other options work for me (Hacked, No live view etc) but Greyscale doesn't seem to. The framing when shooting RAW on my M is a bit off and I assume if you can shoot with the Greyscale function it will be more correct?

dpjpandone

Quote from: tweak on October 01, 2014, 05:49:11 PM
Why would anyone choose a T3i, 600D etc over the M for a cheap ML soloution??? Am I missing something here? The M does everything I need and more with ML and I rarely have a problem with it. Not to mention Raw on the M is better than others in it's class and price range.

because pink dots are a pain to remove in post, sound only works for one take and then you have to reboot the camera, no headphone output, no tethered (tablet) control, and it's not very ergonomic.... these are some of the reasons to choose a t2i/t3i

Also I'm pretty suprised by the amount of people that ask questions on here that have absolutely nothing to do with ML... for gods sake read the manual or do a bit of research first!  :D

Just like the posts you are criticizing, the above adds absolutely nothing to the conversation either....

REAL question - Does anyone else have a problem with the "Greyscale" live view when shooting RAW??? All the other options work for me (Hacked, No live view etc) but Greyscale doesn't seem to. The framing when shooting RAW on my M is a bit off and I assume if you can shoot with the Greyscale function it will be more correct?

Greyscale preview has not been implemented on the M, either it hasn't been found, or doesn't exist in the M's firmware. The menu entry is still there to keep the code cleaner since it is ported from other cameras.

fufuheo

I may have found a fix for the shutterbug (not sure).
The shutter bug always occurred when using the EF-M 18-55 IS STM lens.
I changed the Custom Function "Release shutter without lens" to "Enable", restarted the camera and the shutter bug was gone.
Since then I have not been able to replicate the shutter bug (not even by changing the setting to "Disable").
It worked for me. I am using the sept 27 nightly build.
1100D, EOSM, EF-M 18-55 IS STM EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 II USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

danieldenhaag

would headphone monitoring work with a cable like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765530-REG/Sescom_DSLR_550D_HOCF_DSLR_550D_HOCF_AV_Out_Headphone.html? if not will headphone monitoring ever exist for the eos m?

fufuheo

It does not work now and I don't know if it ever will.

tweak

Quote from: dpjpandone on October 03, 2014, 02:26:18 AM
because pink dots are a pain to remove in post, sound only works for one take and then you have to reboot the camera, no headphone output, no tethered (tablet) control, and it's not very ergonomic.... these are some of the reasons to choose a t2i/t3i

Just like the posts you are criticizing, the above adds absolutely nothing to the conversation either....

Greyscale preview has not been implemented on the M, either it hasn't been found, or doesn't exist in the M's firmware. The menu entry is still there to keep the code cleaner since it is ported from other cameras.

Pink dots are easy to remove once you have the workflow. Sound works almost every take for me, I don't have a problem with that. Headphone output isn't an issue if you have a monitor or shoot without sound (as a lot buying do). Do a lot of people need a tablet connected? Kind of defeats having a small package camera no? Ergonomics aren't that great I guess, but on the other hand it's great to have a small camera to easily take places. The resolution for M in RAW is still better than the others (regardless of the cons) in it's price range, so I don't think you can really compare them. Also ability to use C-mount lenses and the like in crop mode for RAW is a feature that the others can't even touch...

If it at least drives one person to read the manual before asking irrelevant questions I think it has.

Sucks there's no Greyscale option, maybe one day... I've been messing around about and starting to understand better where it's framed.

SubOrbit

Hey guys!

Does anybody know if it is possible to sense 5V input on the USB port with ML? I am asking because with CHDK, it is possible to trigger the shutter by putting 5V to the USB connector (plugging in a USB cable) and with a remote shutter port missing on the eosM, this could be a perfect remote shutter mechanism, while still retaining a free mic-input port for those who need it (avoiding solution described here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11930.0).

The CHDK mechanism is described here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/USB_Remote

Canon eos m

Hi,

Coming back to the EOSM after a long time since the camera right dial push doesn't work anymore after the camera fell from my hands.

Must say that the overall ML experience has greatly improved with lot lesser bugs. The pink dots on RAW / MLV recording are still a pain workflow-wise. But otherwise awesome.

Build: 8 October 2014.

Thank you all developers for keeping the development going.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Canon eos m

Another thing. I want to shoot S3D using 2 EOSM's. Anyone know if the best way to sync the cameras - ML way or non-ML way?
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Ernani

hi all, new to the forum. been using ML for a week now and I can't imagine how lame the eos m (or any other eos for that matter) would be without it. once you use it you can't go back. for the past week i've been browsing through the forum and slowly understanding all the features and workarounds in ML for this camera. I got to say the raw video is is simply a joy, filming in mlv and removing the pink dots with mlvMystic gives marvelous results, even if only at 720p 24fps (I wouldn't do 1080p anyways due to its insanely high data consumption).
anyways, one thing I couldn't find is how users of this camera can transfer mlv files to computer; when I plug the camera to pc via usb, all the files I can see are JPGs and MOVs. to access files of different extensions I must remove the sd card use a card reader, only then I can find all the existing files in that card. Since I'm is test mode, the process of removing the card repeats numerous times during a day, so wear becomes an issue.

well, thanks Magic Lantern and all its developers and enthusiasts. hope I can contribute with something nice soon.

Walter Schulz

SD-cards and slots are specified for 10,000 "mating" cycles.
Do the math ...

Ernani

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 27, 2014, 05:28:17 PM
SD-cards and slots are specified for 10,000 "mating" cycles.
Do the math ...
was that referring to my post?

Ernani

well, seems canon won't let any file other than jpg and mov to be sent to pc via camera usb. why? one can only guess. I'll stick to using the card reader...

Bagpuss

I may have found a fix for the shutterbug (not sure).
The shutter bug always occurred when using the EF-M 18-55 IS STM lens.
I changed the Custom Function "Release shutter without lens" to "Enable", restarted the camera and the shutter bug was gone.
Since then I have not been able to replicate the shutter bug (not even by changing the setting to "Disable").
It worked for me. I am using the sept 27 nightly build.

Tried this, but it didn't make any difference on my camera.
Tried the nightly build that you are using, and also the latest nightly (8th October).

illplanet

Hi everyone,

First my apologies for posting this here again, but I guess this a better place in the forum for my question as it is specific for the EOS M:

I'm running magiclantern-Nightly.2014Oct08.EOSM202 on my EOS M.
The ML screen displays a framerate of 29.973 although the framerate is set to another value (eg. 24 fps or 60fps). Tried it with both PAL and NTSC settings. FPS ovverride is not activated.
When I'm recording, the files are recorderd with the fps set in the main menu.
However those false fps rate detected by ML seems to affect the availabe settings for recording raw video as it always relates to those 29.973 fps.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?
Thanks!

vertigopix

I think that this indication is related to the LV framerate, not the recording framerate.
When you start recording you can see the "real" framerate upper right.

illplanet

No, the displayed framerate does not change. When selecting the resolution all available options relate to those 29 fps.

dpjpandone

fps override? like it was said before, the display is always 29.97

vertigopix

Upper right, under the red "rec" dot, not the "big" fps numbers.

Ernani

did anybody try the intervalometer in conjunction with silent picture mode?
it would be a treasure for time lapse since there's no shutter activation and pics come in raw but for some reason my eos-m stopped after a random number (sometimes 40, other times 10 or 11)of photos were taken. will try some other settings and let y'all know in case I can solve it.

julius

About the eos M shutter bug: is there any problems with manual lenses? What i understood its only with eos m kit lenses.

Jaco2k

Just a preliminary note - I managed to solve the shutter bug with a new card and a new install. I still need to investigate the root cause but I have a good idea about a process to fix this.

Here is what I did:
- I had a 64GB card (Transcend) in my camera that was affected by this bug
- I got a new 64 GB card (Kingston) and DID NOT prepare it at all in anyway
- I downloaded the Original Canon 2.02 Firmware update and put it on the new card - NOTE: I tried to power cycle camera and the shutter was working, as expected, when the card with ML was removed
- I inserted the new card in the Camera and reflashed the original 2.02 Firmware (Shutter still worked after power cycling camera)
- I downloaded the latest nightly (8.11.2014 at the time of writing) and dropped it into the new card
- I inserted the card again in the camera (I used a memory card reader for all the operations; shutter was still working) and repeated the firmware update process to install ML
- ML installed successfully and told me to power cycle the camera (I did not mess with the boot settings - just told it to reboot camera)
- Camera rebooted and.... SHUTTER WAS WORKING!!!

I could not believe it, so I cycled it a few times more and it was still working. Inserting the old card back would immediately reproduce the bug but with the new card, working fine.

I followed to the letter the official instructions to update firmware from the Canon site (P mode, etc.)

Next up I am going to format the old car, actually, even wipe all the partitions, format it similar to the new card and going to try and reproduce the "fix" on it

funkysound

Hi Jaco2k this sounds interesting to me.
But ... Question: Is someone out there still working on ML or are all gone to Apertus?
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

jeredmckenna

Hi!...my first post here. I have the Oct 8th Build for EOS m...

the zebras stop functioning in video mode when I use Magic Lantern to set my ISO to any non-standard number, like 160, etc. If I set my ISO to 100, 200, etc, the zebras return.

Also, I see no way of zooming in whilst in movie mode (not recording) other than the magic zoom box feature. any ideas on this? I love having that full screen zoom before I record. (or snap a shot!)

also, the magic lantern menu dissapears after 5 seconds of idle. not cool!

fufuheo

QuoteI see no way of zooming in whilst in movie mode
Prefs>LiveView zoom tweaks>Zoom on HalfShutter>