Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbarrett5076

I had the same problem until I remembered the M is a touch screen.   I think this is the question of how to get into the "Q" to change the settings within a ML feature???

dpjpandone

yeah, I'm working on getting the play button to act as Q when ml menu is open, does anyone disagree?

hudwa

Quoteyeah, I'm working on getting the play button to act as Q when ml menu is open, does anyone disagree?

Agreed. I also just realized that I could touch the screen in place of pressing Q. Found out how to enable VBR and a bunch of other functions that I couldn't find before. Feel a little silly now...

The touch function is great, but the menus in ML are, by neccessity, pretty cramped and I often touch the wrong item. This is not a critical problem, but it is an annoyance. If the ML menu could become more touch friendly overall, perhaps icon-based a la iOS, that would be great. That is a big job, so rather than reinventing the wheel (since the ML menu is already very well designed for use with physical buttons) I think that having the play button act as Q in the ML menu would be a good idea.
My gear: 5Dc | 20D | EOS M | EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD | EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

DeafEyeJedi

Just got the EOS-M and as soon as I got home... ML was installed. All went well and so far I'm loving all the features regardless of its minimal flaws!

Love the two-finger tap to get into the ML menu...

I'll be on the lookout for updates.

*cheers*
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Kevin Sharp

I'm brand new to the group, I have installed ML on my EOS M and am really keen to use the rack focus tool for macro photography stacked images. I can see that the nightly build has the Brack script included, which works so well with my Canon SX50HS CHDK build.
Does anyone know if this is a working feature on EOS M 202 ML build? If so, how do you get to it?

brianca

Hey guys,

Just got my EOS M and installed ML on it.  I was hoping to use the audio features, but I see from this thread that they aren't available on the EOS M.

Two questions:

1) Are they impossible for this model and not to be expected eventually?
2) I've seen some comments about audio levels during recording which is one of the main things I want.  Should that be there?  The other nice to have would be the headphone monitors, so really curious if that one is possible and maybe coming later or if it's just off the table.

thanks!

b.

DeafEyeJedi

as far as I know... I noticed the audio meters are working actively. You just have to remember to turn off MLV audio after you are done recording in either RAW or MLV otherwise once you record it in h.264 without disabling the MLV Audio first...You won't get any audio as it has been mentioned in this forums as well!

It's a bit tricky but there are ways to work around it...

as long as you enjoy troubleshooting like 90% of us users are?

SJ
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Canon eos m

Just dropped and damaged my EoS M. Can you propose a replacement model that works well with ML. Already have a Canon 5d3. But looking for a smaller ML capable camera. Sorry if this is off topic.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

dpjpandone

if you don't need high raw resolutions, I would recommend the t3i (600D) it's one of the only cameras that let's you over crank to 36fps in 1080p and it has support for pretty much every feature in ML. if you require a fast cardbus go with t4i or t5i

Steve_Brule

I get exposure flashes (short duration brightening), every time I zoom with the 11-22 STM lens, and whenever I focus with the Canon 28 f/2.8 IS. This makes ML unusable with these lenses.
Anyone else have this problem?
Also the magic focus box flickers so much during record that it's unusable.

Steve_Brule

Canon eos m .... get a T3i ... cheap and works with the stable release

dpjpandone

re: exposure shift:

check custom settings in canon menu -> change ae/af lock till u get the desired result

amethyst

Need help.
How to access ML menu and Q without double tap and tap screen?
Because I use my M with external monitor, when monitor connect the tap screen will disabled.
How to use Delete button to access ML menu like other camera?
Thanks for support.

mdwhaley

Hold the trash can button

dpjpandone

currently no way to acces q from button, - working on it

dpjpandone

Reply #364 on: August 22, 2014, 05:16:25 PM ยป

Maybe I'm an idiot and never realised, but I have some interesting info in regards to the focus box while using crop mode as I always assumed it didn't work...

I found that the focus box does actually work in crop mode as long as you make sure the focus box is positioned in the top of the screen (top left) and I usually set pixel size at 2:1 for best results.

It works in small medium or large box size, but the small window looks the least glitchy. The bigger sizes will have some flicker, but on my camera are still totally useable to judge focus.

If this has been discussed already I apologise, but I don't remember reading it here, hopefully it helps others like me.

this is not my experience, no matter what I do, magic zoom is unusable in crop mode. I done exactly what you described and it's still all chopped up, are you sure you weren't in full frame and just thought you were in crop mode? I have noticed that framerate has an effect on this as well, in FF mode eosm idles at 30p, then changes to 24p during record and magic zoom glitches out again....

MiguelATF

Probably a stupid question from a new forum member - and new EOS-M owner.  I went to the Magic Lantern Downloads page - and saw that the current stable release of ML (V 2.3) supports a number of different cameras - BUT NOT THE EOS-M.

So which release or releases of ML do or will support the EOS-M?  Do I have to access a "nightly-build" download?  Or what?

Like I said, it's probably a stupid question.  But I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer - so I'm posting it here.  Hope someone can clear this up for me - THANKS!

walter_schulz

First post of this thread ...

Visir

I tried 2.0.2 version.
Too many bugs. Can't take pictures, everything is blocked, unless you switch off the camera and switch it on again.
Something happens in the first part of the code that is conflicting with commands.
If you insert battery, the camera will light up the green orage led, for a few seconds even if you do not switch it on.
This means that some sort of command, once the battery is in the camera, reads the card, or at least a part of the code.
you will have to switch it off and on again to be operative. It will take only a few seconds to enable the M to work again,  and I believe that the ram, by doing this, and the bug itself, are renewed, and the mistake put aside.

There must be a bug in the first lines f the program, conflicting with some instruction that follows.
If your M's led lights on when you insert a battery with magic lantern card inserted in it, who is ordering M  to read the starting script?

I am just trying to understand what is happening. Could you find out please?
Thank you.

Visir

Could anyone stop my shirt by taking pictures by itself when I am wearing my M on my tommy?
there must be some kind of tap 3 times system, to activate or deactivate the touch screen.... please could you add this function? Concerning canon's hdr idea, i guess they did not want to make a good one, and just offered a minimal one.
I hope tha ML will solve the problem. STACKING, BRAKETING AND MERGIN ALL TOGETHER THE SHOTS. And offering a control of the levels aswell, so that we could see immediately the resulting picture. I'm just starting to appreciate ML on this camera, but it still lacks some functions that I would like it to perform. I used to load scripts, to enable these functions, and so, if anyone knows where to find them, I would be glad to test them and to work on them. I hope I have been able to express the concept in a proper way. Bracketing, 3 pictures, stacking them, and merging the job. Real hdr, with values that can be programmed in advance. Like styles. HDR1 HDR2 HDR3 Thakn you very much.

burninbluesky

Guys need some help , after installing the latest batch. My EOS-m no longer works. The power button just blinks green real fast.
Any ideas

dpjpandone

Quote from: Visir on September 26, 2014, 11:40:52 PM
I tried 2.0.2 version.
Too many bugs. Can't take pictures, everything is blocked, unless you switch off the camera and switch it on again.

shutterbug, known issue. read thread for workarounds

Quote from: Visir on September 26, 2014, 11:40:52 PM
If you insert battery, the camera will light up the green orage led, for a few seconds even if you do not switch it on.

Is this a problem? is this different from default behavior?

Quote from: Visir on September 26, 2014, 11:56:49 PM
Could anyone stop my shirt by taking pictures by itself when I am wearing my M on my tommy?
there must be some kind of tap 3 times system, to activate or deactivate the touch screen.... please could you add this function?

turn off "tap shutter" so that you can only take a picture with the shutter button (you prob have it set to take a pic when you touch the screen) Also check the sensitivity setting in canon menu

Visir

Thanks.
Shutterbug. Ok.
Switch it on and off twice. Second time it works.
False instruction handled in the starting script.
Default movie mode.
It will not take pictures but only video with this version of ML if you do not switch the camera off and on again.
The bug is there. Change default video mode command to picture. Thanks.

What does the letter M stand for?
Let me guess....
- "M" stands for the last letter of the word ".....mmmmm,  ??? " ( thinking about taking a picture ). ( Thought ). Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ck.  Oh gosh!!! :-X

I love innovation. I did not expect them to add Panda Mode.  :o

The best ever camera for stills. Dead or alive.

Now you know. Just take your time for the time being .... till the next update".

It's a software problem.

I guess the third model they will call it "Zzzzzzzzzzz"   8)

I just bought a second one. I feel so Zen now. I can take a picture with my second one whilst my first one is thinking about it!

Wise choice!

I think that they are testing us to see if we are able to solve the "M's" problem.

............... 3
............... 2
............... 1

Which one?

Slow motion i guess.

;D

The right camera for nervous photographers!

:P

:o 8) :-[ ::) :-* :'( >:( ;D ;) :) ;)

We are all waiting for a brand new firmware!!!!!

8) :P :P ::) :-X :-\ :'( :-* ??? ::)

So when do you think they will discontinue "M"?
- "Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.... "
-  Don't tell me you really believe they are still thinking about it!!!!!!

They sold us the whole lot!!!  :-[ :P
- Just in time.  :D
- I believe so.

What a bargain!!!!
- Ok stop it. It looked like a camera.
Didn't you read the specs?
- Too tiny.....
- Mmmmmmmmmm
:P

Cheers!!!!  :D

vertigopix

Who should use nightly builds?

- Anyone who likes to live on the bleeding edge, wants to help ML development, and doesn't care about some features being broken.

...and anyone who have read, read and read the Canon manual...

carlalex

Has anyone tried this on an imported EOS M2?  I picked one up.  Happy with it so far (*such* an upgrade from my 2008 450d), but with no jack for my intervalometer, long exposures and time lapse are a pain.

Thanks!

--- Carl