Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronh_pm

I am using magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug20.EOSM202

I find that if I use "Continuous Shooting" mode, I will get a burst of about 7-8 frames before the buffer fills and then if I try to shoot again as the buffer clears, the camera will lock up to the point that I need to remove the battery to reset it.

It does not seem to be dependent on manual or autofocus.

thanks for the time and please forgive if this has been covered.

Ron

dchen99

Has any one used post deflicker module with xmp successfully?
I installed the latest nightly build (magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug20.EOSM202.zip) and followed the instruction mentioned in this thread: http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5705.0.
There were no .xmp files generated along the .cr2 files.

$167

Hi everyone! I have been using ML on 60D for a while. I purchased the EOS M last week and been playing with ML for a couple days (Nightly.2014Aug20.EOSM202). I would like to share my user experience and hopefully get some tips & advises from you if you have better way/shortcut of handling these.

• one major issue I'm having when I was going thru setting in the ML menu, if I pause for a sec or two, the screen switches from menu to the ML live view. It gets annoying, did I miss something here?
  • I found it difficult to change aperture/shutter/ISO setting when I was in the ML live view. I was in M mode, I could roll the dial to change the shutter setting and if I want to mess with the other two, I have to open up ML menu OR switch to Canon live view screen (which defects the purpose of the ML).
  • Is Auto-Kelvin WB available in current build? If not, is there any shortcut switching between different WB preset (including AWB) within ML live view? Currently I have to switch to Canon menu to adjust WB. I hope the Arrow/SET shortcuts will be included in future release
  • *NOT ML related - I'm shooting with the 22mm and would like to use manual focus exclusively relaying on ML's Focus Peak feature. However I noticed the focus ring takes a good 360+ turns to focus from infinite to MFD. It makes it difficult to operate. Any advise?
I understand the fact we are using nightly builds but I hope there are better solutions that I just missed. Thank you!
Canon Shooter | 5D Classic | 60D | EOS M | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8 | 70-200mm f2.8 | Magic Lantern | Sun | Alien Bees

mxma1

Quote from: $167 on September 01, 2014, 10:04:13 AM
Hi everyone! I have been using ML on 60D for a while. I purchased the EOS M last week and been playing with ML for a couple days. I would like to share my user experience and hopefully get some tips & advises from you if you have better way/shortcut of handling these.

• one major issue I'm having when I was going thru setting in the ML menu, if I pause for a sec or two, the screen switches from menu to the ML live view. It gets annoying, did I miss something here?
  • I found it difficult to change aperture/shutter/ISO setting when I was in the ML live view. I was in M mode, I could roll the dial to change the shutter setting and if I want to mess with the other two, I have to open up ML menu OR switch to Canon live view screen (which defects the purpose of the ML).
  • Is Auto-Kelvin WB available in current build? If not, is there any shortcut switching between different WB preset (including AWB) within ML live view? Currently I have to switch to Canon menu to adjust WB. I hope the Arrow/SET shortcuts will be included in future release
  • *NOT ML related - I'm shooting with the 22mm and would like to use manual focus exclusively relaying on ML's Focus Peak feature. However I noticed the focus ring takes a good 360+ turns to focus from infinite to MFD. It makes it difficult to operate. Any advise?
I understand the fact we are using nightly builds but I hope there are better solutions that I just missed. Thank you!

Hi and welcome! I've been using ML on the EOS M for the past 2 months and here's my experience in response to your questions:

• This is a known issue. Canon's GUI has some way of canceling out the ML menu while in LiveView on the 6D and EOS M (there is only LiveView on the EOS M, so that means always)
  • The EOS M has a native functionality where you press the +/- button on the jogwheel buttons to alternate wheel control of the shutter speed or aperture. In the regular LiveView mode, you will see the green indicator alternate between the two boxes when you press this button. As for ISO, you have the option of setting Custom Function VI to assign the Trash Can button to select ISO Speed. With these two options, you can quickly change all 3 exposure values quickly and easily while using ML LiveView
  • Unsure, sorry
  • I don't think ML currently supports any kind of modification to EOS M's focus ring awfulness... but being able to increase the rotation sensitivity of the focus ring sounds like an amazing feature!

Parafly

Hey guys

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there a guide for using ML quickly with my Eos M. I've had ML on my T2i for years and have gotten very quick at using it. I'm shooting a wedding this Saturday and the eos M is my 2nd camera and I'm struggling to really feel comfortable with it so far.

In particular, i can't seem to find the Auto WB Adjust (I usually use this w/ a grey card when changing lighting situations with my t2i).

Also, I can't seem ot find Quick Settings. On the T2i I just hit the AV button and then I can use L / R for ISO, U / D for Kel, and the cneter button for Push WB.

thanks!!!
Using Tapatalk

$167

Quote from: mxma1 on September 02, 2014, 04:11:59 PM
Hi and welcome! I've been using ML on the EOS M for the past 2 months and here's my experience in response to your questions:

• This is a known issue. Canon's GUI has some way of canceling out the ML menu while in LiveView on the 6D and EOS M (there is only LiveView on the EOS M, so that means always)
  • The EOS M has a native functionality where you press the +/- button on the jogwheel buttons to alternate wheel control of the shutter speed or aperture. In the regular LiveView mode, you will see the green indicator alternate between the two boxes when you press this button. As for ISO, you have the option of setting Custom Function VI to assign the Trash Can button to select ISO Speed. With these two options, you can quickly change all 3 exposure values quickly and easily while using ML LiveView
  • Unsure, sorry
  • I don't think ML currently supports any kind of modification to EOS M's focus ring awfulness... but being able to increase the rotation sensitivity of the focus ring sounds like an amazing feature!

Hi mxma1, thank you for responding!

RE: #2 - I noticed the two tricks to switch A/S/ISO but wish there's a better way - As you said in Canon LV, there are two green triangles indicate whether I'm assigning setting to Aperture or Shutter when rolling the dial. But in ML LV, I have to guess and there is a slight delay when dialing - it really slow down the entire process. I could have done this in Canon LV but I would miss the Focus Peak badly. As far as ISO via the trash can - I have done it but it apply a full stop of ISO (eg. from 400-800) vs in ML, it goes 1/3 of a stop like 400>500>640>800.

One new issue I noticed is the White Balance in ML, say I was on AWB, when I go into ML manual and switch it to custom, I'm stuck with custom kal number. There isn't any way for me to switch back to AWB or Custom Presets. So I have to go into Canon LV again to do the adjustment, kind of a pain.

Anyway, I'm still very happy with ML for EOS-M. I look forward to having these fixed in future release. Thank you!
Canon Shooter | 5D Classic | 60D | EOS M | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8 | 70-200mm f2.8 | Magic Lantern | Sun | Alien Bees

a1ex

Quote from: dchen99 on August 30, 2014, 02:50:03 PM
Has any one used post deflicker module with xmp successfully?
I installed the latest nightly build (magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug20.EOSM202.zip) and followed the instruction mentioned in this thread: http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5705.0.
There were no .xmp files generated along the .cr2 files.

Are the other tools working in QuickReview mode (after taking a picture)? For example, the RAW overlays (they should work not just in LiveView, but also on the review screen).

dpjpandone

I hope I get a pass if these has been asked before because I did search for "EOSM Continuous" and did not get my answer:

The chart says raw can only be shot while recording h264 simultaneously, is this still true?

What is the max resolution that you can shoot RAW continuously on EOSM?

I am shooting most raw projects at 2.35:1 aspect ratio, what is the max resolution at this aspect?

What is the workflow like for shooting raw with sound? Do you just use the audio from the h264 file?

Thanks for answering these questions, I am considering picking up an EOSM for helicopter shots, and if I do. I will be glad to contribute what I can in helping with development for this body as well.

mdwhaley

Quote from: dpjpandone on September 06, 2014, 06:39:56 AM
I hope I get a pass if these has been asked before because I did search for "EOSM Continuous" and did not get my answer:

The chart says raw can only be shot while recording h264 simultaneously, is this still true?

I don't think so, I don't know that has ever been possible.

What is the max resolution that you can shoot RAW continuously on EOSM?

next question

I am shooting most raw projects at 2.35:1 aspect ratio, what is the max resolution at this aspect?

1504x456 is what I can get at that aspect ration on a Sandisk Extreme 45MB/sec SD card

What is the workflow like for shooting raw with sound? Do you just use the audio from the h264 file?

Use mlv raw format with sound

Thanks for answering these questions, I am considering picking up an EOSM for helicopter shots, and if I do. I will be glad to contribute what I can in helping with development for this body as well.

Cool. IMO the M sucks for Raw. Aside from the card speed limitations there are post production considerations such as pink dots that need removed and the image needs stretched. Magic Lantern on the EOS M really helps the camera from a usability standpoint though  :D

timmorn

Perhaps someone here can help me? I installed magiclantern-Nightly.2014Sep01.EOSM202 on my EOS M (2.0.2) mainly for Intervalometer shooting. But it don't works. If I am able to start the Intervalometer, I have no chance to stop it. I tried all buttons (I think the review button should do the trick?) The only chance was to put battery out. Also when I turned off and on again it started again. Sometimes it stopped, but then all freezed. The greatest problem: Also in normal mode I am sometimes not able to make a photo. Fokus is working, but when I press the button down no photo is taken. I formated, turned several times on and off and suddenly it works and then again the same problem.

And now the biggest problem: Because of this I tried to remove ML. But when I go to "format card" there is written "format card, keep ML [Tap Screen]". But when I Tap Screen noting happens. So, my most important question: How to remove ML? :-/

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

You may want to read the first post of this thread ...

timmorn

Thank you for your answer, but this also didn't work. In the starting post I read:
QuoteUninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.
So I went in the menu to "Firmware-Ver.: 2.0.2" (the same option I used for installation), but it claimed that a firmware is needed on the card for update.

Did I something wrong?

Thanks

Walter Schulz

Yes, you have to follow instructions found on page 1. From start!

timmorn

Ok, I put ML back onto the SD card and then it worked. Thank you!

To the other point: Had someone else the bug that he was not able to take a photo? A little strange was that it still was the case when I removed ML. Now I formatted the SD card and in the moment it is working. Could it be that ML damaged something on my camera?

funkysound

"Had someone else the bug that he was not able to take a photo?"

Yes - we call it shutter bug here.
Sorry that nobody answered till now but I think everybody got tired to explaine everybody new here in this forum what is going on with it.
Just put the lens of while the m is on and it will work again after putting the lens on again.
Just search for shutter bug and you will find more answers ...
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

tweak

^Just read any of the 16 pages of this thread and it would tell you that...

$167

Quote from: tweak on September 11, 2014, 10:39:36 PM
^Just read any of the 16 pages of this thread and it would tell you that...

I don't blame the new users, The first time I came here I read the entire discussion, going thru lots of issues that had nothing to do with what I'm trying to do. All that just to find out one specific feature isn't available. Now we have 16 pages of threads (40 pages in tapatalk). I think it would be helpful to create a FAQ page for EOS-M. It would save everyone's time not having to read from scratch...

Audionut

Ideally, someone who owns the camera, and is aware of its specifics (bugs/features), could compile a post with that information.  I can sticky it and link it in other stickies, or add it to the first post.

dpjpandone

can someone please explain the eos m raw aspect ratio to me? If I am reading correctly, shooting full frame requires stretching in post, but shooting in 3x crop mode does not? I am used to the 50D, 7D where you have to stretch if shooting 1280 60p (canon Q) but shooting 1920 (1728) doesn't require stretching....

What is different? Is it not possible to shoot in 1920 24p and select a smaller resolution like I am used to?

tweak

Well since the shutter bug is mentioned on almost every single page of the 16 page thread most people mustn't have looked too hard to find an answer  ;). A sticky at the top would be the smartest thing, something like this that could be added to the top of the page. VVV

Sticky:
Shutter Bug: Most prevalent with 18-55 EFM lens. Fix - half take lens off and put it back on again.
Menu disappearing: Menu only stays open for about 3 seconds. Fix - there isn't one.
Opening Menu: Either two finger tap the screen or hold down the trash can button for 3 seconds.
Cycle between menus: For different menu views press the "menu" button after two finger tapping or holding the trash can button down.
Movie stopped recording: Likely that there's too much info to record. Fix - lower Q-scale or CBR (if enabled) for more complex scenes.

@dpjapandone - you should be able to select any resolution and frame rate you like in the ML menu. I only ever shoot in 3x crop mode so I'm not sure that the full sensor mode even works properly on the M (anyone know???). You can only shoot up to a certain resolution depending upon what aspect ratio you have selected, the ML menu will give you the information as to what resolution is possible with what aspect ratio to be able to keep continuously recording.

hudwa

I've just loaded magiclantern-Nightly.2014Sep12.EOSM202 and cannot figure out how to enable VBR. I noticed very early in the thread someone mention shooting RAW using VBR, but have not heard anyone mention it since, nor have I been able to get VBR to work with either of the last two nightly builds. Also can't find any info or documentation on VBR for the EOSM anywhere on the wiki, nightly build site or FAQ. Any help is much appreciated.

UPDATE:

As in subsequent comments, figured out that touching the screen acts as pressing Q, allowing me to open submenus, thus allowing me to enable VBR.
My gear: 5Dc | 20D | EOS M | EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD | EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

dpjpandone

I figured it out, it seems full frame live view is always 720p so it behaves the same as other cams do when canon Q menu is set to 720p, therefore very crappy quality with heavy aliasing... it's a damn shame.

So what lenses are you guys using with this camera in crop mode? anyone experimenting with c-mount or other small format lenses? Any reccomendations?

Also, is there a list somewhere of the changes that need to be backported from One Percent's branch? I was thinking I could help with that. Or is the eosm pretty much up to date?

$167

Quote from: tweak on September 12, 2014, 02:30:11 PM
Well since the shutter bug is mentioned on almost every single page of the 16 page thread most people mustn't have looked too hard to find an answer  ;). A sticky at the top would be the smartest thing, something like this that could be added to the top of the page. VVV

Sticky:
Shutter Bug: Most prevalent with 18-55 EFM lens. Fix - half take lens off and put it back on again.
Menu disappearing: Menu only stays open for about 3 seconds. Fix - there isn't one.
Opening Menu: Either two finger tap the screen or hold down the trash can button for 3 seconds.
Cycle between menus: For different menu views press the "menu" button after two finger tapping or holding the trash can button down.
Movie stopped recording: Likely that there's too much info to record. Fix - lower Q-scale or CBR (if enabled) for more complex scenes.

Good idea, tweak - Admin, pls put this up.

dpjpandone

OK, it seems you can enter ML menu with long press trash, (thank god, otherwise impossible to navigate ML menu with ext. monitor attached)

but how to fake Q? any alternate method? Any hints on how to implement?