Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oswald

It is called shutter bug. Just turn off and turn it back on quickly and vuala now it is possible to take pics. :)
7D, EOS-M & 100D.100b ΒΆ  Sigma 18-35mm, Canon 50mm F1.8, 22 STM, 8-48mm f1.0, 18-55 EF-M STM

florian.gerard51

hello

i just turn off and back on but not working ;-(

florian.gerard51

ok thank i did find the thread reporting this issue :
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8347.0

for me the twist lens works....but annoying solution...

thanks

Wynand

When I shoot in H.264 (X2.5)  the file is copied from the EOS M as a *.MOV file.  If I now need to render it I use Adobe Premiere (or Vegas 12 Pro).  Here is my problem:  The original *.MOV file is for example 450Mb in size.  If I use Adobe Premiere and render it as "loss less" I get a very large *.AVI file of about 8Gb!  If I render, using H.246 the original file is shrunk from the mentioned 450Mb to 220Mb - indicating more compression...  Is this right?  Am I doing something wrong?  How do I get the best "true" copy of the original file I used after rendering?  Am I using the wrong rendering software?

Please help! 

Walter Schulz

You have to learn about video formats.

H.264 is a standard covering lots of options. Canon is using just one subset of those options.
Trying to understand what's under the hood may try to blow your mind.

There are different frame types (I-frames, B-frames), different chroma subsampling options and more.

Wynand

"You have to learn about video formats.

H.264 is a standard covering lots of options. Canon is using just one subset of those options.
Trying to understand what's under the hood may try to blow your mind.

There are different frame types (I-frames, B-frames), different chroma subsampling options and more."

Thanks Walter..... see below after another test video (please be patient - I'm still learning!)

Wynand

"You have to learn about video formats."

Walter:

So let me put this in another way then.  I have two EOS Ms. On the one I have ML (latest Nightly Build) and have taken the video option (H.264) to X2.0.  I have shot the same video (simultaneously) with both of the cameras.  The video on the ML camera has a *.MOV file much larger then the standard EOS (which is understandable).  When I compare the two videos in my mind the ML video should be better?  In fact I see very little difference.

I used Vegas Pro 12 to render both to a *.m2ts file, viewed both and they looked very much alike.  I also made a second render and put the two videos side by side.  I use a 120Hz latest generation 55" Samsung 1080p monitor for viewing.

Am I doing something wrong?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Wynand on June 16, 2014, 02:43:13 PM
When I compare the two videos in my mind the ML video much look better?  In fact I see very little difference.
AFAIK H.264 encoding is done by hardware.
ML has no influence on noise reduction, chroma subsampling, sharpening done there.
You *may* see differences in motion blur/artifacts if ML is able to manipulate I-/B-frame ratio.

Quote from: Wynand on June 16, 2014, 02:43:13 PM
The video on the ML camera has a *.MOV file much larger then the standard EOS (which is understandable).
Well, I don't understand that one. Maybe dev team is able to shed some light on this.

Ciao
Walter (not using H.264 that much)

Sandeep

Hi all,
I installed Magic Lantern on EOS M and there seems to be a few issues.
1. The overlapping focus box on Magic Lantern menu.
2. I cannot seem to use the rack focus. Any idea how to use it on Magic Lantern?

And thanks for porting Magic Lantern to EOS M.  :)

Cheers,
Sandeep

canoneer

Hi all ML'ers.

I am using ML for focus helping in foto/video- and crop in video with old Konica lenses. I was wondering if anyone had the 11-22 yet and how the shutterbug showed itself or not?

canoneer

Quote from: canoneer on June 22, 2014, 11:31:44 AM
Hi all ML'ers.

I am using ML for focus helping in foto/video- and crop in video with old Konica lenses. I was wondering if anyone had the 11-22 yet and how the shutterbug showed itself or not?

I just realised that a 11-22 would give me approx. 52-104 zoom in crop, with close to no artifacts.

midnite

is there another way to go in ML menu without activating my touch shutter?

it is so annoying i can't use my touch shutter with ML. when i try to tap with my 2 fingers %95 it thinks that i used the touch shutter.

a1ex

Press the delete button for one second (with the latest nightly).

midnite

You are fast! Thanks!

and i can't believe nobody has  talked about this until now.

Wynand

Just checking again...  I took a video yesterday with two EOS M cameras.  One camera runs ML (Nightly latest version) and the other EOS M is standard.  Both cameras were on tripods, running in Manual mode and were started with a single remote.  After 30 seconds I ended the recording.  The EOS M running ML was bumped up to X 2.5 in the movie menu and had a *.mov file much larger than the EOS M running standard.  I could not see a difference between the two movies when I viewed them.  Should ML not provide a better movie when bit rates are set higher than normal?  Comments?

cpreston

Wynand: I have never tried bumping up the bitrate on the EOS-M, but my understanding based on other people's tests is that increasing the bitrate does very little for image quality on Canon DSLR's.  It might help with certain grades and fast movement, but I have rarely heard of people seeing a difference.

tweak

When I tried changing from 1x to 3x filming the same thing I noticed the 3x video to be sharper... that's just my un-scientific observation. Also I think when what your filming has moving objects it makes more of a difference. This was shot in 3x crop mode.

velihukka

Quote from: florian.gerard51 on June 15, 2014, 10:36:51 AM
ok thank i did find the thread reporting this issue :
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8347.0

for me the twist lens works....but annoying solution...

thanks

For me formatting the card and preparing it in MacBoot did away with it. Not sure for other cards though, mine is a Transcend 16GB Class 10.
I always seem to get the crappy stuff and somehow make them great.

khail

What is the, video out put on the eos m,

AnthonyEngelken

Quote from: tweak on June 24, 2014, 07:13:29 AM
Also I think when what your filming has moving objects it makes more of a difference.

My observation as well, and it does make color grading a hell of a lot easier. Far fewer artifacts in the shadows to fight with, better definition on edges of moving objects. Video just has better definition in general.

velihukka

Quote from: khail on June 24, 2014, 11:29:40 PM
What is the, video out put on the eos m,

HDMI and composite. It's in either PAL or NTSC, depending on the region. I don't think that in this case ML has anything to offer in terms of video output.

khail

kolen

Hi, all. Some how I can't confirm it by googling it: does EOS-M record RAW video in 3x crop mode only? And it has PDAF pixel problem?
Thanks all.

velihukka

Quote from: kolen on June 26, 2014, 09:15:28 AM
Hi, all. Some how I can't confirm it by googling it: does EOS-M record RAW video in 3x crop mode only? And it has PDAF pixel problem?
Thanks all.

In my testing, the camera does record RAW video in full mode, but I couldn't really get anything out of it(sd card too slow, O'm a cheapskate). No idea aout the PDAF problem.