Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanomad

I'm investigating it. It's a timeout of the hijacked canon dialog but so far I had no luck in killing the actual timer that fires it
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

holicow

Cool, because those 5 seconds are so frustrating. I forked the source and had a little look inside.
(Could be a little better documented, hehe) Maybe a solution is to send cyclic a fake button event?

#ifndef CONFIG_6D
TASK_OVERRIDE( gui_main_task, ml_gui_main_task);
#endif
void ml_gui_main_task()

This is the code for hijacking or?
Eos 40D, EOS M, some Glasses, some Flashes.

nanomad

That is an idea (provide a synthetic event to be processed by the underlying canon dialog and not us. A simple left/right combo may be enough).

Yeah the code could be better documented, I agree
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

holicow

Cool!

So you give it a try?

BTW: Where can i report errors in a correct manner, i found testing the ML 2.02 nightlies?

E.g i use now magiclantern-Nightly.2014May03.EOSM202.zip and found an error.

A question, i found this nowhere: When i set ExpSim to ON, there is this group of bars on the top line beside the time. What is the exact meaning of those bars? (some are full white, some are half white, one is yellow, i can get one red [overexposed i think])

dmilligan

Quote from: holicow on May 03, 2014, 10:36:37 AM
A question, i found this nowhere: When i set ExpSim to ON, there is this group of bars on the top line beside the time. What is the exact meaning of those bars? (some are full white, some are half white, one is yellow, i can get one red [overexposed i think])
It's the "Histobar": http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8539.msg80619#msg80619

2blackbar

So in theory if i would use crop video recording on canon M then i could actually use 16mm camera lenses without visible vignetting if i will create 16mm lens mount myself  ? So its gonna be like true fullhd 16mm camera with no moire and aliasing ?
Anyone measured how much sensor milimeters are used to capture on crop modes ? I think it would be easyt to measuyre by filming video with crop and without crop and then resizing non crop footage to be 223 pixels wide (like 22.3 mm of sensor) then comparing cropped versions should give us size in milimeters.I think it would be more like super8 sensor size (7mm wide x 3)not 16mm unless there is smaller zoom than 3x but that would have moire.

otherman

based on my math EOS M, in crop mode and with 1472x626 resolution (2.35:1 and max resolution for continuous RAW recording), use a sensor area slightly larger than 1/2" format: every lens with the same (or larger) projection area is usable, but I can't verify.

Any news on Dual Iso for this little beast? Does it work now?

2blackbar

I just got canon M today and its great with unlocked crop zoom in video, i can also mount any lens i want on it and use speed booster wich i already modified for M  :D

Is there any version in the past that had audio recording enabled ? Currently from what i see you cant record sound at all if you install magic lantern, i think its worth to leave original canon with sound on untill its fixed, i mean only for canon fps, so when you uyse fps override then sound will be disabled, its useful to have at least default canon recording mode with sound on, untill magci lantern sound code will be working .

dmilligan

Quote from: 2blackbar on May 07, 2014, 04:00:08 PM
Is there any version in the past that had audio recording enabled ? Currently from what i see you cant record sound at all if you install magic lantern, i think its worth to leave original canon with sound on untill its fixed

You have some incorrect information. In general ML does not just willy-nilly disable default things that are built-in from Canon. Perhaps you see that some particular additional ML feature having to do with sound recording is not working/disabled (such as recording sound with raw video), but that does not mean that ML has disabled the built-in sound recording capability from Canon (that would be silly!). ML only adds features to the camera, and pretty much all of ML's features can be disabled leaving you with a camera that is indistinguishable from stock (other than the fact that you can get into the ML menu), even with ML installed.

2blackbar

My mistake I had sound disabled in canon menu when i installed ML, i dont know why it happened but its all ok now, i enabled it :)

Yzgyz

Hi,
I've a problem: Since I've installed ML on my Canon EOS M, I cannont shoot photos, in any mode. It's still focusing when pressing half-shutter, but doesn't take a picture when pressing it through.

funkysound

Quote from: Yzgyz on May 08, 2014, 11:30:49 AM
Hi,
I've a problem: Since I've installed ML on my Canon EOS M, I cannont shoot photos, in any mode. It's still focusing when pressing half-shutter, but doesn't take a picture when pressing it through.

That´s an old known problem ... the shutter bug. Till now nobody found a way to fix it as far as I know.
If you read through this forum you will find diffent ways to solve it. If it is happening to me I just remove the lens while the M is turned on and put it on again - then it should work.
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

2blackbar

Class 6 card is too slow now for magic lantern? My recording stops itself after a couple seconds depends how complicated scene is.

Fioritura

Quote from: 2blackbar on May 07, 2014, 04:00:08 PM
I just got canon M today and its great with unlocked crop zoom in video, i can also mount any lens i want on it and use speed booster wich i already modified for M  :D

Hi 2blackbar, which speed booster did you modify, and how? :-)

Cheers,

Andrew

tupp

Quote from: Fioritura on May 09, 2014, 08:13:46 AM
Hi 2blackbar, which speed booster did you modify, and how? :-)

+1000!

... and please post some shots!

Oswald

Quote from: tupp on May 09, 2014, 08:31:05 AM
+1000!

... and please post some shots!

Almost full frame camera with sb. :D Please post shots and pics!! :D
7D, EOS-M & 100D.100b ¶  Sigma 18-35mm, Canon 50mm F1.8, 22 STM, 8-48mm f1.0, 18-55 EF-M STM

2blackbar

It works nice, i modified it a bit yesterday and sits in camera + clicks into place like if it was made for canon M but i had to tile camera mount a bit, its not possible to unscrew camera mount cause 4 screws are glued with epoxy in factory, i had to cover sensor with solid circle i cut myself and used tape to prevent dirt getting into sensors lowpass filter,  i lost warranty i think by doing that but i dont care that much cause i have second canon M on planet with speed booster , this is main reason i bought this camera, i even considered taking glass out from focal reducer and gluing them into macro tube for canon M , then gluing EF mount on top of macro tube. I had to file speed booster mount and then camera mount, i bought canon M macro rings first before i bought canon M cause i wanted to see if it will work.It works but unless you have nice set of tools to file down the mount teeth in camera a bit then dont get hopes up, it wont work if you tile only speed booster mount because lens mount on canon body have teeth a bit too long towards each other and wont let the speed booster through even if you will tile down all teeth from speed booster nex mount, i think photographers gave this camera bad opinion because autofocus is slow on electronic lenses, but its fantastic canon camera for video, you can mount any lens and sensor is so close its really different camera than everything canon released so far thanks to it, you can experiment with lenses a lot and convert them yourself.
Interesting fact is NEX body cap fits onto canon M.Mounts are very similar.
Its weird cause ive seen news about speed booster for canon M year ago in may 2013 and still nothing, how hard it can be to use different mount on it.
You can also mount canon EF kit lens on focal reducer and its wider than normal but you cant zoom out completly because vigneting starts from 24mm, but even then its wider than bare 18mm zoomed out and i like that.
Speed booster doesnt work that well with telephoto lenses, or maybe because i have old ones, there is shift in focal plane on sides and middle is sharp.
I think differently shaped glass is needed in speedbooster to work well with telephoto like 100mm or 200mm so its not soft on sides, its super sharp in the middle.
Works well with 50mm and it works best with wide lenses from 50mm down, my 24mm lens doesnt vignette with speed booster but canon's EF kit lens does on 24 and you can hide it by moving to 26mm , then its wider than my non kit 24mm which is weird cause it shouldnt be, yeah canon kit lens on speed booster is wider on 26mm than my other 24mm lens on speed booster.
Average performance on telephoto like 100mm might also be like that because i didnt used speed booster for 600$, i used focal reducer for about 100$.
Anyway im very happy that i did it because difference especially with shallow depth of field is really big between aps-c and full frame, wide lenses have quite a lot of bokeh when you frame someone from hip to top of the head, i wanted that on aps-c but fast lenses are expensive, here with focal reducer you can have that on f2.8 lens.
I dont know if this thread is good place to post pics, maybe its better to start new thread because people wont find the info im posting.

It would be nice if magic lantern for canon M could change shutter , iso or WB values if you press on the bottom on them with finger like with original canon overlay with shutter and iso, is there a way to put white balance icon there using original canon options from menu or something ?
I also wanted to try whats the maximum fps canon M can record at 720p using frame override but you cant do 60fps with it, in override menu it says 60 fps (from 30) like if it was in fullHD but its not and its not in 30fps, i picked 60fps 720p , dont know why it shows "from 30", should be "from 60" if in 720p mode i guess ?

holicow

FYI:

I also suffer from the shutter bug with the 18-55mm.

A Quick Poweroff / Poweron Sequence heals it until the next Poweron.

Used ML: magiclantern-Nightly.2014May03.EOSM202.zip Date: 2014-05-03 12:16:11 +0200 .
Used SD Card: Transcend 90MB/s 600x Class 10 SDXC 64Gb card.

2blackbar

I noticed there is black bar on right side of the frame when you record video using fps override with crop zoom enabled, is this normal ? This black area doesnt show up when fps override is disabled.

RavingRover

Quote from: 2blackbar on May 08, 2014, 10:19:13 PM
Class 6 card is too slow now for magic lantern? My recording stops itself after a couple seconds depends how complicated scene is.

You need to specify more info - are you using a CBR of 1.0, for example or RAW video or .....

RavingRover

Anyone know if any effort to enable 'Remote Shooting' via USB & EOS Util. via ML/TL ??

Its incredible that Canon gave us no way to remote control shooting w/ the M !?

If I have missed this capability via ML/TL &/or EOS Utility, plz let me know.

Thx!!

canoneer

Well I compensate with Dslr.bot over bluetooth, works fine.

canoneer

:)happy so far. Got the ML for M finally installed and a lot seems to work ok after a few hours fiddling around in the menues testing. Opens a new world also on the M, got it on 60D earlier. Have some old Konica lenses from the 70's I intend to use for video, THANKs for the great work!

Oswald

I'm using ML with my 8-48mm f1.0 lebs with crop mode. I just love to use this lens, covers perfectly sensor in crop mode and it is great video lens. :)

But there is one bug. Camera don't start recirding in crop mode. It have to set to shutter button, then it starts recording properly.  :D
7D, EOS-M & 100D.100b ¶  Sigma 18-35mm, Canon 50mm F1.8, 22 STM, 8-48mm f1.0, 18-55 EF-M STM

bendannett

Hi, I've just installed ML nightly build on my Canon EOSM but have no idea how to access the ML menu....2 finger tap brings up developer screenshot. Apologies for my ineptness, I am new to this game.