Author Topic: Canon EOS M  (Read 1168918 times)

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
Re: Canon EOS M
« Reply #4725 on: January 10, 2021, 02:10:22 PM »
@Zeek: I'm interested how you manage audio for your youtube content. Too much content (definitely not yours) suffers in this regard. If you can setup a how-to (what works and what doesn't) about good sound on a budget I think the audience will listen!
Of course if you have a bunch of Neumann mics ... forget it! ;-)

ytolun

• New to the forum
« Reply #4726 on: January 10, 2021, 02:55:57 PM »
@Zeek: I'm interested how you manage audio for your youtube content. Too much content (definitely not yours) suffers in this regard. If you can setup a how-to (what works and what doesn't) about good sound on a budget I think the audience will listen!
Of course if you have a bunch of Neumann mics ... forget it! ;-)

For YouTube, I tape my very cheap lavelier mic under my t-shirt. Cheap mics don't pick up much reverb and taping it under my shirt keeps it reasonably close to my mouth.

Give it a listen (it's not in English but still) and if you like what you hear, give it a try:

NateM

• Just arrived
« Reply #4727 on: January 19, 2021, 10:25:52 PM »
Hello! After purchasing an EOS M in late 2020 (under the influence of DSLR Video Shooter and Zeek's YouTube videos) I began learning ML. I successfully shot some raw clips and was impressed by the dynamic range when color grading. But extremely frustrated by the camera frequently freezing or the video preview being nonexistent.

I honestly had given up on ML until I came across this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r-tI93GZBk&t=34s&ab_channel=PilYang). I was amazed that the filmmaker had been able to make the shots look sharp and there was almost zero noise in the night scenes. In the description he mentioned it had been shot in h.264 not raw.

So I dove back in ML on my EOS M and realized maybe he had just cranked the CBR to 3x and maxed out the data he could record in h.264. I tried it and loved the fact the camera was more reliable and the clips played back just fine. But then I wanted to confirm that the data rate was actually 3x. I struggled to find the manufacturers bit rate for 1080p at 24fps for the EOS M.

But I found that the T4i shared the same exact sensor and that camera records 1080p at 24fps at a vbr of 48 mbps (See the second photo). So I analyzed the clips I recorded on my camera (1080p at 24fps) with a CBR set at 3x and the bit rate was only 55 mbps (see image). Then I recorded another clip with the CBR turned back to 1x with the same settings. And the bit rate was 47 mbps.

So my question is 55 mbps the max bit rate on the EOS M in H.264? And do we think his video had good image quality simply because he used fast glass and a CBR instead of a VBR?

On a side note I have been renting the new Canon R6 for professional photo and video work and it has been amazing.

Thanks

Danne

• Developer
« Reply #4728 on: January 20, 2021, 12:51:47 PM »
Interested to why you are getting freezes? What build are you using and what settings? When recording h.264 it should be as stable as without magic lantern.
I am yet to find proof that image will get better cranking this setting. I do not think it will make a difference using this setting. Not when I tested it. Better yet to film raw if you want some real magic to happen.

eosmrocks

• Just arrived
« Reply #4729 on: January 20, 2021, 06:57:08 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have a very simple question regarding the zoom assist via half-shutter. You see, I am using manual lenses and from time to time I need to zoom on the live view to check my focus, and there are many instances when the focus peaking feature does not do the job quite enough.
In Canon's GUI for the live view, there is the magnifier button and once I click that I can choose a point in the screen and zoom there, check the focus, zoom back, check my composition and shoot. This process is long. The best solution is to set the half-shutter button to zoom but unfortunately with that I can only check the focus on center. Is there any way to make it such that I would be able to touch on the screen thus moving the focus box to a certain point and then once I press the half-shutter it would zoom at that specific point rather than the center?

Thank you for any help.

Janke

• Freshman
« Reply #4730 on: Yesterday at 01:22:38 PM »
One quick question about the intervalometer and/or low fps settings:

If the battery runs out during shooting, will the file always be saved correctly? (I tried a search, didn't find anything...)

Danne

• Developer
« Reply #4731 on: Yesterday at 04:42:14 PM »
Please do testing and report back.