Extension of the Expo Presets Function

Started by brapodam, December 29, 2013, 05:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brapodam

Hi, I like to do a lot of long exposures with an ND filter, specifically a 10 stop one. The expo preset function is pretty useful, but I think its functionality can be extended by providing an option to use it to offset exposure rather than storing two exposure presets. The reason is that when shooting with a 10 stop ND filter, you spend a lot of time just spinning the dial to get the exposure to change by 10 stops. If you stack ND filters, it's even worse, and you spend a lot of time just changing exposure between shots.

So a simple function could be added to the expo presets to make it just offset the exposure by a fixed number of stops. Press it once and it increases exposure time by a fixed number of stops, press again and it decreases it back to the original exposure time. Or something similar.

a1ex

In this situation, I would use Auto ETTR in Auto Snap mode. For 10 stops it will require most likely 2 test pictures, but I'm experimenting with a theory that would allow much better accuracy for metering in complete darkness.

Exposure offset is not well defined, because you have 3 exposure variables. Look in the bracketing menu.

brapodam

Quote from: a1ex on December 29, 2013, 10:44:53 PM
In this situation, I would use Auto ETTR in Auto Snap mode. For 10 stops it will require most likely 2 test pictures, but I'm experimenting with a theory that would allow much better accuracy for metering in complete darkness.

Exposure offset is not well defined, because you have 3 exposure variables. Look in the bracketing menu.
Interesting idea, though it would still be slow, especially considering metering in almost complete darkness coupled with very long exposure times.

I was also thinking of baking this 10 stop adjustment into the "Arrow/SET shortcuts" function. Shutter speed can already be adjusted in this way, but only in fine stops. If we could configure the number of stops to change, it could work.

But I quite like your idea of using bracketing as a workaround. I'll try it when I feel well enough (I'm still recovering from a surgery)