ML on my new 5D Mk III

Started by MkPaul, December 27, 2013, 06:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MkPaul

Hello all, I've recently purchased a 5D Mark III and after reading numerous reviews and plenty of comparison videos, I'd love to be able to unlock my cameras full potential and get the best possible quality for my videos.

Most of my work is from Weddings and the occasional corporate video and I just wanted to see how fast, easy and reliable ML is?

What I am most intrigued by is the RAW video output at 1920x1080, the ability to increase the frame rate at such resolutions and dual-ISOs. As i'll be filming weddings, having the ability to choose multiple ISO's for particular shots would be fantastic, I want to get the bright sky in shot whilst not under exposing the people who are under a tree for example. Am I right in thinking I can get 50fps from 1920x1080 if I use ML?

Lastly, i'd be recording the actual ceremony using the normal camera settings because they can go on for hours and I wouldn't be able to afford enough large cards to cope with this. The rest of the day is where i'm looking at getting the improved quality. Would it be a reasonable assumption to say if I invest in some SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro (90mbps) and use these for the crucial moments then I could get some Komputerbay 128GB 1050x cards for RAW recording for the rest of the day?

My overall aim is to improve the quality during the intro of my videos, I want to get fantastic quality, slow mo shots to really draw the couple and their friends/family in. Oh and of course, other couples who are thinking of choosing me to film their wedding.

What do you guys recommend?

MkPaul

Oh and also, with it being a new camera I am quite attached at the moment, i'm guessing i'd have to be very unlucky to have ML break my camera? I've not seen any reports of it messing up peoples cameras but I have seen warnings.

RenatoPhoto

My advice: keep reading the forum.  This is a personal decision you should make.  Most people will tell you ML is not stable so there is a risk involved.  Risk of messing the shot and slight risk of messing your camera and 100% sure to slow down the wake up time to aprox 2 seconds.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X