New Member: First time install, stable release for 5d mark iii?

Started by jrcreative, December 27, 2013, 06:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrcreative

Greeting, I'm new to ML and this forum. I have a mark iii and I would love to try out the features of ML on it, however I have not seen a stable release for the Mark iii and I'm hesitant to play around too much with a new camera. I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered a million times but please indulge me and let me know what I should be doing as a mark iii owner if I want to use ML with the least amount of potential issues.

One thing I've noticed is that there is no one way to install, at least from the various videos and posts i've read. Is there a definitive install guide or tutorial out there for the mark iii that i should be following?

When i add ML to my camera do I need to leave the card in the camera all the time? If I were to remove it and start up my camera again would it revert back to the normal cannon functions as if it were out of the box? If not what is the best way to jump back and forth, if I want, from ML and the standard cannon functionality?

Will having ML on my camera effect my ability to shoot stills in a negative way? I use my camera for both stills and video so it's important that i can work with both easily. I know that I have to revert back to an earlier firmware, will this have a major effect on my ability to shoot stills? Though i did update the firmware when i got my camera, i'm not exactly sure what the updates it made are.

Lastly, I use external mics hooked into a small external mixer that feeds into the camera. Are there any audio issues I should be aware of using ML?

Thanks so much for your help.
J

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: jrcreative on December 27, 2013, 06:09:56 PM
One thing I've noticed is that there is no one way to install, at least from the various videos and posts i've read. Is there a definitive install guide or tutorial out there for the mark iii that i should be following?

Nothing official.
Start here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

When i add ML to my camera do I need to leave the card in the camera all the time? If I were to remove it and start up my camera again would it revert back to the normal cannon functions as if it were out of the box? If not what is the best way to jump back and forth, if I want, from ML and the standard cannon functionality?

No, if you do not want ML pull the card out or format on card reader on PC.  Also you can press the SET button to bypass ML and boot to Canon only!

Will having ML on my camera effect my ability to shoot stills in a negative way? I use my camera for both stills and video so it's important that i can work with both easily. I know that I have to revert back to an earlier firmware, will this have a major effect on my ability to shoot stills? Though i did update the firmware when i got my camera, i'm not exactly sure what the updates it made are.

Yes, wake up time is increased to 2 seconds. 

ML only works with Canon Firmware 1.1.3 so you will have to downgrade.

Lastly, I use external mics hooked into a small external mixer that feeds into the camera. Are there any audio issues I should be aware of using ML?

No idea.
----------------
I strongly recommend you keep reading the forums!

Start here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=49.0

and here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=54.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

jrcreative

Thanks Renato, I'll continue to do some digging and research. BTW, one question I had that I'd really like to get an answer for is what version of ML should i be using for my Mark iii? I know there isn't a stable build yet but is there something close that as a new, first time installer I should use?

Thanks very much.
Happy Holidays.

J

jrcreative

One quick additional question after looking at the link you provided above. What does "bootflag cannot be undone" mean exactly? BTW, i will be recording at 24fps not 29.97 for my work.

5D3 is best and working very good.  Continuous recording at 1920x1080 up to 29.97 fps  (Bootflag cannot be undone, this increases wake up time from 0.2 to 2 sec)

Thanks
J

Walter Schulz

There are three things necessary to make ML run:
- Camera bootflag set (has to be set once). If set the cam will search for a bootable memory card. This will cause a 2 second delay at startup.
- Bootable memory card (= each card you want to run ML from)
- ML directory and Autoexec.bin on card root directory.

Issue with 5D Mark III is that the cam's bootflag cannot be removed in a safe way. The developers are working on it.

jrcreative

Just so i understand, the boot flag isn't something that is on the card with the ML files, it's actually imparted on the camera itself once i install ML? If i remove the ML SD card and restart the camera it will still start up slowly in photo mode?

RenatoPhoto

Once you set the bootflag to the camera it stays in the camera and cannot be undone.  I think the boot time of the camera is stightly increased but the WAKE time goes from 0.2 to 2 seconds.  Wake time is when camera is ON and sleeping!  Camera boot time is when camera is OFF and you turn it ON. 

To set the camera bootflag you need to put the 5D3-113-bootflag.fir file in your card and do a Firmware upgrade with this file.

For more warnings about bootflag:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7125.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

jrcreative

Thanks very much, i'm slowly gaining more confidence and understanding.

adLUCEM

Quote from: jrcreative on December 28, 2013, 05:29:01 PM
Just so i understand, the boot flag isn't something that is on the card with the ML files, it's actually imparted on the camera itself once i install ML? If i remove the ML SD card and restart the camera it will still start up slowly in photo mode?

By "photo mode" do you mean the official Canon firmware? I also have a 5D Mark III and want to try ML but am hesitant that it will mean I cannot alternate between ML and official Canon firmware as needed. Can anyone advise?