Should I return these Komputerbay Cards?

Started by FilmPerson, December 26, 2013, 11:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FilmPerson

I bought 2 Komputerbay CF cards, one 32 gb 1000x, one 64 gb 1000x.  When I record raw video on my 50d at 1920x1080 (crop mode) the camera says I'm doing about 65mb/s on both of the cards.  Is it worth sending them back or is that about the speed I should expect with these cards? That seems really slow to me.

(I would do an official benchmark but the tutorial I've been reading says that I'd have to format it via exfat, and I'm afraid that'll void my warranty.  Is this a valid concern?)

Midphase

First of all, this should be posted in the Hardware forum (admin might want to move the thread)

Secondly, can you record on the card without problems or are you getting frame dropouts and stopped recordings pretty early? I think people can become overly focused on the benchmarks that they tend to forget what is important (i.e. do they keep up with video recording?).

I just bought another KB 64gb card (my 3rd), I ran benchmarks, but just to have a reference starting point. The main thing I did is put the camera at a high resolution frame size (in my case 1920X1290 non-cropped) and started recording. First take went about 1:30, second went up to 2min. Then I re-formatted the card as ExFAT (no warranty will be voided by doing this) and I was able to keep recording for over 3 minutes (I stopped the recording myself at that point).

The point is that if the card works (it does what I need it to do in my case), then I don't stress out about the Benchmarks. I would only return the card if it wasn't able to sustain 16X9 HD recording for over a minute at least.

mannfilm

My KB cards, purchased in May, are going 93mb/s to 97mb/s since purchase.

Midphase

What camera did you benchmark them on?

If the camera is only capable of a certain top speed (in the case of the 50D a theoretical maximum of 70mb/sec), then benchmarking on that camera will show slower results no matter how good the card is.

For instance, when we benchmarked my KB cards on my 5D3, the write speeds are quite high, but when we put the same card into a 7D, all the numbers dropped substantially.

Andy600

A lot can depend on the ML build you are using. Also check disk alignment (look it up) and don't bother with Exfat because the 50D doesn't support it.

Try recording with Global Draw OFF and set picture size in the Canon menu to small jpeg with raw size to off.

What FPS are you using? for 1080p you will likely only get continuous recording at 24 fps but will still record long takes at 25p.

Run the benchmark with GD on and off and see what difference it makes.

The 50D can do 80MB/s+ ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

FilmPerson

Thanks for all the advice everyone, and sorry I posted this in the wrong place! I haven't been able to do 1080p for over 30 seconds, so I'll probably be returning the cards.

Also, can it do over 80 without recording in MLV mode? That's incredible