Forum ideas

Started by Audionut, December 24, 2013, 05:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audionut

As I'm sure most would agree, there is plenty of information to dissect regarding the usage of Magic Lantern.

I'd like to hear from users on any ideas/issues you have regarding the forum, it's layout etc, or any features that you think would help new users find the information they need.

I'd like to do something with the sticky threads.  Would it be best to leave the sticky threads as they are, or compile them into specific sticky threads to reduce the total number of sticky threads throughout the forum?

Thanks in advance.

engardeknave

I think all the forums can be combined into like 10-15 sections and subforums should mostly be axed. They serve no purpose other than to make the proper section impossible to find. Forum categories should be representative of how people use their cameras. I see that this has started to happen with the raw video and hdr processing subforums, which is good. Script/module repository subforums are probably useless.

I was going to sit down and figure out what sections should/shouldn't exist before mentioning this but then I discovered the "Show unread posts since last visit" link and stopped caring.

arrinkiiii

If possible one button/arrow in the end of the posts for be more easy to return to the top. Like ebay got and other websites.

It's a simple thing but very helpful  :)

walter_schulz

If you use a PC: There is a "Pos1" button on your keyboard for this very purpose.

Ciao
Walter

arrinkiiii

Thanks Walter, sometimes I'm in PC other times I'm in iPad.

arrinkiiii

Thanks again Walter =))  I use Chrome app but for sure exists a way to do it and can be very helpful, not only in this forum but in the all web. It's good to know. But I think a god button/arrow in th bottom will bring some happiness/easyness .

Audionut

Quote from: red_trela on March 20, 2014, 10:03:15 AM
Read it now, thanks. Hiding it under Support is not the best way for it to be found by new users ;)

Um, where would you suggest it be placed?

Note, I've spammed the link to the FAQ in 1861 posts all over the forum.  And I continue to spam it each and every day.  ;)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: red_trela on March 20, 2014, 10:03:15 AMHiding it under Support is not the best way for it to be found by new users ;)

You're not the only one having a hard time searching valid (aka: not outdated) information pieces. Kind of a text adventure sometimes.

Ciao
Walter

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Audionut on March 20, 2014, 10:07:04 AMUm, where would you suggest it be placed?

Well, try a beginner's shoes for a walk through this place.  There *is* room for improvement.

At least: First forum named "I'm new here. What is found where?" would be helpful, I think. Something with new users in mind, giving directions and basic suggestions. Clash of cultures (dev level vs. "just a decent movie guy")is often the case here IMO.

Ciao
Walter

red_trela

Quote from: Audionut on March 20, 2014, 10:07:04 AM
Um, where would you suggest it be placed?

Depends.

If you want new users to find it themselves before asking questions, as prominently as possible. I'd probably put it between "Support" and "About", i.e. not in the dropdown. It's not that it's badly placed under "Support" but so far I clicked on "Home", "Features", "Downloads" and, lastly, "Forum" - none have a drop down so I didn't expect the others to have one and thought I see all the (links to the) pages there are.

If you don't mind users asking questions that are answered in the FAQ now and then, it's fine where it is.

Some forums hate such questions, some bear with them. So it really depends on how this forum likes them...

Audionut

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 20, 2014, 10:22:56 AM
Well, try a beginner's shoes for a walk through this place.  There *is* room for improvement.

Absolutely.  It's why I created this thread, and why I spend plenty of my time moving threads around.

For me, having FAQ in the support category, just makes sense.

The general help and QA section has some good links.  Maybe that section needs to be renamed, and organized a little better.

@red_trela  Thanks for the feedback.

Audionut

I've dumped all of the stickies in the Q&A section into 1 single sticky thread:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11108.0

Feel free to discuss any suggestions you may have, and any links you feel are best served in that sticky.

Thanks.

Audionut

I just found out, you can use the iurl tag (internal link), to make the link open in the same tab/window.  Rather then in a new tab/window.

nikfreak

How about something like this to be added on 1st page as introduction:

/*
* Be aware that your warranty may be void if installing Magic Lantern to your camera.
* By installing Magic Lantern you agree that no one can be held responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards or
* you fired from a job because some bug appeared and you weren't able to do the job. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this firmware
* before installing it! YOU are choosing to install it and take the responsability for what you do.
*/
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

nikfreak

Also something like this needs to be stated as a golden rule:

Don't ask for ETAs

Why? Well the developers are always at work creating updates and when you ask for an ETA, you're really taking time away from their busy schedule just to answer your questions. This is how it's done for other firmware and ROMs (e.g. custom Android ROMs). Why not be polite and follow these rules for Magic Lantern, too? Dev teams get annoyed when people ask for an ETA.

ItsMeLenny

2 suggestions:

1) a better search (many people obviously do not know how to use the one on here, in addition to the fact it doesn't let one search multiple times in a row)

2) a arrow that takes one to the bottom of the page and an arrow that takes one to the top (as forums posts can get long, and scrolling isn't fast enough)

nikfreak

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on July 13, 2014, 12:00:50 PM
2 suggestions:

1) a better search (many people obviously do not know how to use the one on here, in addition to the fact it doesn't let one search multiple times in a row)

2) a arrow that takes one to the bottom of the page and an arrow that takes one to the top (as forums posts can get long, and scrolling isn't fast enough)

to 1) forum web admin should integrate "google custom search", too. Not to repalce existing search but as an addition. This is easy task to do. I did it on my phpbb forum onmy own. +1 because lots of ppl are more familar with google search

Audionut

Quote from: nikfreak on July 13, 2014, 11:48:56 AM
How about something like this to be added on 1st page as introduction:

Not sure if we need further warnings.  The general consensus is one of worry.  "I didn't want to do this because I just bought my expensive camera and don't want to brick it".  "Are the nightlies safe, I don't want to kill my camera".  Etc.

Quote from: nikfreak on July 13, 2014, 11:57:14 AM
Also something like this needs to be stated as a golden rule:

a1ex shared this link a while ago, and I've been spamming across the forums since.  :D

I think this falls into common sense, and the problem with common sense, is that if you don't have it, no amount of golden rules is going to make a difference.  You need common sense to read rules first  ;)

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on July 13, 2014, 12:00:50 PM

Absolutely.

nikfreak

I like the idea of havin a new and unique FAQ. You did one. But as stated on that I miss a disclaimer and a golden rule. And I must admit (being a new user to ML forum) I feel like being lost. Too much stuff to read, lots of topics (some meanwhile outdated and so on). Maybe do a cut and archive + delete really old ones....

Audionut

I'd like to compile stuff into 1 or 2 stickies.  This way, when you enter a section, you should be able to easily find must read information.  Everything you need in 1 post.
Currently a few sections have lots of stickies, and I feel this clouds their importance/usefulness.

The biggest issue IMO, is that this stuff is only a useability issue, and probably falls somewhere in the middle of (a long) priority list.  I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I need to learn to code, before moving into development (serious stuff anyway, copy/paste and english stuff is easy), so I'm trying to divert my attention away from that (we seem to be getting lots of good members lately who can develop), and focusing more on the forum side of things.

One idea I have had, is limiting the new member posting ability in the first five days.  This increases the chances of new members searching for their information before creating duplicate posts, immensely.  Another idea, is a welcome message that contains links to useful information like the FAQ.

And archive section is a good idea.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: nikfreak on July 13, 2014, 12:13:39 PM
to 1) forum web admin should integrate "google custom search", too. Not to repalce existing search but as an addition. This is easy task to do. I did it on my phpbb forum onmy own. +1 because lots of ppl are more familar with google search

Replace "google" with "duckduckgo" instead and it's a better idea.

Quote from: Audionut on July 13, 2014, 12:52:12 PM
I'd like to compile stuff into 1 or 2 stickies.  This way, when you enter a section, you should be able to easily find must read information.  Everything you need in 1 post.
Currently a few sections have lots of stickies, and I feel this clouds their importance/usefulness.

Maybe it needs a different contents page rather than stickys, something less forumy?

Quote from: Audionut on July 13, 2014, 12:52:12 PM
One idea I have had, is limiting the new member posting ability in the first five days.  This increases the chances of new members searching for their information before creating duplicate posts, immensely.  Another idea, is a welcome message that contains links to useful information like the FAQ.

Very very good ideas.
Only 1 post a day for the first week, and after each post it pops up a box that says "did you try searching for this first?" -> yes. New pop-up "are you sure you tried searching for it first?" -> yes. "I know you didn't, I will redirect you to the search page."

LucianParaian

I know it might be off topic, but I`ve got some ideas for the nightlies downloads page. And with this, a lot of unnecessary talks an topics on the forum might be avoided.

1. For each Nightly build it would be great to show the number of downloads

2. Each Nightly build could have a small comments section, just like the change log pop up, but open to anyone, where users that have downloaded and used the build can leave their comments on the safety and functionality of said build.

Audionut

We've got a thread discussing ideas like that, but I can't seem to find it atm.

Redrocks

A1ex and geggo and all the other guys who can actually poke around under the hood are wasted on replying to questions about ML and if anyone can do what they do then fair play, do it and help out there.

As for the rest of us, the progression we all want for ML as a whole (evolving from a nightly hack to a solid piece of software) is not going to happen until the end user provides his own feedback. It's down to us, the end users, to follow up on the discoveries made by the coders. It's the end user who needs to find the bugs, it's the end user who needs to document the functions and it's also the end user who needs the most help on this forum. The coders need less of "where is this, why is that and who's going to wipe my ass" and more of "here is this, here is that and the toilet roll is over there" and all of this has to come from the end user. I say close every thread right now and force the issue, but that's me. The onsite search is a pain, but it seems to be that way to cut down on traffic. If it was changed, wouldn't that increase costs?

Myself and Audionut spent a small amount of time trying to condense all the onsite information and the only other contribution to that thread was from A1ex. I personally would rather he spent all of his time tweaking the code than doing what the least knowledgable ML user can do - fielding replies to questions Google can readily answer. And in no way was the user guide thread meant to be the final word (it's more of a notepad for others to build on) but at least we tried and I'd love to see others either outdo that or contribute:

user guide