[IMPOSSIBLE] Auto ISO - take care of stabilisation being activated or not

Started by Shine75, December 23, 2013, 01:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shine75

For the moment, the (simple) algorythm that calculates the ISO in Auto ISO mode do not takes care about the stabilisation being or not being activated on the lens.
So when it is activated, the ISO setted by the camera is something like 2-3 stops higher than needed. That's infuriating.

dmilligan

You mean shutter speed? I don't see how IS could affect ISO choice (you should always ETTR, IS affects only the minimum allowable shutter speed - sometimes, depending on subject motion). With AutoETTR you can choose the min shutter speed yourself. It also something that is rather subjective and varies based on subject. You can link ETTR min shutter to the canon shutter, which makes it easy to control. Kind of like an advanced shutter priority mode.

henq

This definitively would be an improvement, just calculate the shutter speed as (1/focal length) * 4 if stabilization is active (to add 2 stops).

a1ex

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on December 23, 2013, 07:38:43 PM
Keep in mind that we can't read focal length and IS status outside LiveView.

"Yet" (hopefully) since Canon seems to be able to do it and adjust the shutter speed in Av/P accordingly... one possible workaround discussed for the focal length is to read the min. aperture with non-fixed aperture zooms.

Shine75

Another workaround would be to set in some ML settings that IS is "activated" (whatever it's true or not), so ML could calculate the exact shutter speed / ISO according to that.

Shine75

Quote from: a1ex on December 23, 2013, 07:38:43 PM
Keep in mind that we can't read focal length and IS status outside LiveView.

I'm not well placed to tell what is possible and what is not, but inside and outside LiveView, the camera calculates the shutter speed and the according ISO (on Auto ISO mode) using the focal lenght that is set (even on zooms) when pressing the shutter button. So I guess that the focal lenght is a readable data. And probably the IS status too.

dmilligan