Help with 600D settings, getting green DNG files

Started by tetsusaiga, December 22, 2013, 04:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tetsusaiga

HI guys:

I have the [600D]NewMem.zip version.  I'm trying to use the RAW feature on my 600D.  My settings are: 

Canon Settings: 640x480; 30fps
Magic Lantern Settings:  Global Draw OFF; FPS override=23.976; RAW video=ON, 960x544

Once I capture a video with these settings, I take the .RAW file and drag&drop it over the RAW2DNG.exe file.  I get a bunch of .DNG files and I import them into Lightroom 5.

But ALL the .DNG pictures that I imported into Lightroom 5 come out really really green.  What am I doing wrong?

Please help, I'm trying to learn how to use ML to shoot RAW video cause I'm going to Japan in 3 months and I really want to make my first video.

engardeknave

1) Find a slider that says something like tint, green, magenta, etc.

2) Go ahead and move that slider.

tetsusaiga

I can't find the slider in the ML/TL settings on my 600D.
Sorry, I just downloaded ML and TL and have no idea how to use them.
Can you please point me in the right direction where I can find this slider.

Besides the .DNG files being really green, I noticed that the .DNG files are all very noisy and have a lot of grain.
Do you think my settings above are wrong?

Thanks for any help the community can offer a beginner.

tetsusaiga

This is a picture of a .DNG file that I converted from .RAW to .DNG and imported into Lightroom 5.
As you can see, the .DNG file in Lightroom 5 is completely green and has a large amount of noise.
Can someone help me learn how to fix this problem?  I'm not sure if my settings are correct.  Please help.

tetsusaiga

I found the slider for green and magenta, its in the white balance option in ML/TL.
The settings I took the RAW video, which resulted in the above .DNG file, are:

White balance = auto;
WBshift G/M = 0
WBshift B/A = 0

What is wrong with my camera that it's causing the .DNG file to become so green?

tetsusaiga

I finally realized how to reproduce the greenish DNG files, for example, like the one I posted above.

As I mentioned above, the white balance is set to "auto" and the sliders for green and magenta are all set to zero in ML.

When I shoot a short clip in RAW with ISO set to 100, the DNG files come out clear with the proper colors - i.e., each DNG file is not green like the one above.

However, I tried to shoot something indoors last night.  Because it was dark, I turned up my ISO to 1600.  When I converted the RAW to DNG, all the files came out green again (like the one I posted above).

Can anyone help me out here?

What am I doing wrong?

What settings do I need to adjust in ML to fix this problem?

PLEASE HELP!!!

canoncan

Quote from: tetsusaiga on December 26, 2013, 03:13:38 PM
I finally realized how to reproduce the greenish DNG files, for example, like the one I posted above.

As I mentioned above, the white balance is set to "auto" and the sliders for green and magenta are all set to zero in ML.

When I shoot a short clip in RAW with ISO set to 100, the DNG files come out clear with the proper colors - i.e., each DNG file is not green like the one above.

However, I tried to shoot something indoors last night.  Because it was dark, I turned up my ISO to 1600.  When I converted the RAW to DNG, all the files came out green again (like the one I posted above).

Can anyone help me out here?

What am I doing wrong?

What settings do I need to adjust in ML to fix this problem?

PLEASE HELP!!!

it seems like the noise is from the high ISO and the green tint due to the wrong white balance. Do a spot white balance in rawtherapee using the top of the multivitamin bottle on the left and do final adjustments manually. Then batch process using the same parameters. Did that fix the problem?

Tip: AWB is pretty useless in a camera. Get in the habit of setting the WB manually.

canoncan

I think I know the answer. Some Canon cameras produce this green tint when you shoot in mRAW mode (smaller RAW files than full resolution) but not in full resolution RAW files. That might be the case with your camera as well.

filo99

I was getting Green/Pink frames when shooting raw (as well as really contrasty unusable images) I Went to "M" on the dial and changed my white balance to daylight(5200k) Now i dont get contrasty images.

Check it out and tell me if this helps  ;D
Grace and Peace,
600D, 6D