Black/Pink Bar on 5d mkIII raw footage.

Started by rtwomey, December 21, 2013, 04:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtwomey

Hi,

I have been using the ML raw hack for a while on my mkIII without issue. On a recent shoot a number of shots came back with one frame being squashed with a pink and black bar on the edge. As in attached image. I was using a nightly build from a few days ago.

It's not a post issue as I can see the same problem when I play the file in Clip House.

Does anyone know why this happens and if there's any trick to salvaging this shot?

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Well, onsite black bars there's no more information, so, there is no way to recover it.
This probably being caused by low speed of your card, or instability. What is the average speed appears on your benchmark?
What resolution are you working? FPS?

rtwomey

Thanks for the reply Luiz. I'm using a number of Komputerbay 64gb 1050x cards. I was shooting 1920x818 at 25fps. I always thought if the card was too slow that the recording would cut rather than drop frames?

Midphase

You might want to switch Global Draw off when recording. While on the 5D3 in most cases it's not a problem, sometimes it can push the CPU a bit too hard and cause errors (which are different than dropped frames, hence why the recording doesn't stop).

DonnaMSmith

Quote from: Midphase on December 21, 2013, 06:46:07 PM
You might want to switch Global Draw off when recording. While on the 5D3 in most cases it's not a problem, sometimes it can push the CPU a bit too hard and cause errors (which are different than dropped frames, hence why the recording doesn't stop). You may also visit another page for more info.

I switched it off when recording and it helped with errors.  Great advice, thanks. 

aaphotog

rtwomey

No, shooting standard. As I went through the footage this issue came up more and more. Some times once per clip, others two or three frames. During the shoot I felt the hack was buggy. The camera had to be restarted a lot but it never cut out during a shot. I updated the version of ML between day 1 & 2, not because I though we had image issues but mainly because it needed all the restarts. The footage from day two was perfect. Luckily we have enough coverage so it won't be a problem for our edit.

rtwomey

Should probably add that we were monitoring with a Zacuto EVF which was looping HDMI to a 7in monitor.

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Quote from: rtwomey on December 25, 2013, 01:55:35 PM
The camera had to be restarted a lot

What format settings do you do? Make banckmark before do it and after, too:
Try low-level format (HDD do it), and format with 32 or 64 cluster size (make bootable with pelican software). If this still with no difference, I dont know what do, but if you get some difference on stability or speed, is this... try 'small hacks' for more speed, too, and [the last chance, try GB off.

rtwomey

I think it was a one off issue, Luiz. As I said, day two of the shoot was on a different nightly build and there were zero issues. The footage looks great so it's not going to stop me shooting raw! :)