Any chance at a happy medium between H.264 and RAW for Video? Perhaps JPEG?

Started by Tai.Fighter, December 16, 2013, 09:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tai.Fighter

Ok so let's face it, the RAW video is amazing, thank you ML team for this groundbreaking feature and all your hard work to get to it.

I really appreciate the increased sharpness and detail, noise performance, and dynamic range over H.264. However the instability, file sizes, and max resolutions not so much. Don't get me wrong, these are completely understandable given what it's trying to accomplish, I'm not asking for a magical fix on those. Thing is, right now we have the two polar ends of the scale. A really bad stock codec, and then the highest of qualities of one. I feel like a lot of us would be happy with a healthy compromise option.

What do I mean by that? What if we didn't have RAW, but instead had JPEG instead or something similar. 1/3 of the file sizes, so the camera, global draw, etc. would not have to work as hard. More stability, less storage space required, not as speedy cards required, and yet retains all of the detail image quality and sharpness of RAW. Yes we lose a lot on dynamic range, but think of it as basically a higher quality codec, a step up from H.264, the only difference from RAW being that 14-bit colour depth, everything else the same. Basically the ONLY change being the format of capture. Instead of RAW, it's JPEG.

Is this possible? I think this would be an amazing feature, and very usable as well. This might allow for non-H.264 true 1080p on the 5D Mark II (which isn't possible now) since it doesn't have to work as hard, as well as perhaps higher frame rates? I also feel like it would be possible because if you can get 24p RAW working, shouldn't it be easier/ a step down to get JPEG working the same way? I don't know, so if I'm wrong, let me know of course.

Thank you!

Tai.Fighter

Quote from: a1ex on December 16, 2013, 10:00:27 PM
Duplicate, http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8854

Oh thank you, and sorry. Though I believe that was addressing HDR MJPEG, no? I was wondering about just straight up JPEG, which there was no answer for...

Tai.Fighter

So I moved my question into that thread, could you (any of the mods) delete this post altogether? Thank you!