How do you guys monitor and judge focus while shooting?

Started by irieger, December 15, 2013, 11:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irieger

Hey guys,

at first I reealy have to thank the developers and community of magic lantern for the awesome work on ML which offers us so many great features originally locked away by canon. ML (RAW) was the deciding factor for the 5D3 against the D800 (switched from Sony how decided to exit DSLR market). And the video images from ml raw show that I was right. But I now have some questions about the workflow other users use to monitor and expose the image. Haven't found good any helpfull post yet:

1.) How are you monitoring while shooting? On my NEX-5n I could use the HDMI to get a full screen image (1080p) of my camera monitor (including all the UI stuff and switching of the internal display but I had all). On the 5D I always have some black bars and other stuff surrounding the image on the external monitor. Thought I read they fixed the mkII behaviour on external monitors with the mkIII. Is there a way to improve the output? Hope for a ML for 1.2+ firmware to with mirrored HDMI with image only output but search for a temporary solution for now to get a usable 16:9 image out of the camera. The 16:9 optimized setting in ML HDMI UI settings seems to don't do anything visible so far.
1b.) Is there a hidden option in ML to get HDMI + internal monitor?

2.) How can I judge the exposure when shooting RAW? The waveform is way to small to see something on the small 5D screen and the histogram seems to behave strange. In the normal view the image seems fine and when I then zoom in to better judge the focus without changing anything else, I often see clipped highlights in the graph not visible in the normal view.

Kind regards,
Ingmar

reddeercity

Here a link to a post I wrote on my setup on 5D2
should be similar to the 5D3
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9457.msg90719#msg90719
As far as I know you can't do mirroring on the 5D3, but do some searches on the form
there lot of info about what you are asking. My Sure you read up on all the feature for ML raw, you should find you answer
:)