My custom anamorphic DIY - sample footage & thoughts

Started by dubzeebass, December 14, 2013, 10:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubzeebass

Hi to all,

I was reading about the Cinemorph anamorphic attachment and have ordered one, but in the mean time I've made my own DIY filter with a 72mm UV filter, a piece of thick cardboard, and an oval aperture.  With the DIY filter I really like the vertically-stretched anamorphic bokeh look.

I am considering getting a wide-angle adapter as well for the 85mm lens I have... was playing with it the other day and it there's no unwanted effects with my Rokinon, it just becomes a 60mm f/1.4.  I think that would be almost like a poor man's anamorphic, except it's both vertical and horizontal compression, with anamorphic bokeh and flare from the Cinemorph lens. Any thoughts?

Chungdha

I builded my own but I have to say I really havent used it yet to film, maybe would use it for short films but its just too much if i would film events. Below is video how i build mine.

Andy600

You can take it one step further and add a flare with some fishing line too ;)

http://www.frankladner.com/cheap-diy-anamorphic-lens-flare-filter/

Still doesn't have that special something that you get with a good anamorphic lens but I guess for little or no money you can't complain.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com