MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinxx

whow. so great.
i am looking forward to test it out.
thx so much.

Danne

update*
changing from .mlv to the next clip (O,P buttons) results in the next clip keeping the first played clips name. This results in merging the audio from the first file to the next file being exported. For now I have to close down the app and restart to get the names from the files played in the app. GOing from .RAW won,t let me change to the next clip at all.
Mac os X 10.9, 5d mark 3
Otherwise, it,s the finest exporter out there.
Big, big thanks
//D

ouuzi

This update got me out of bed!
Going to try it straight away!
Impressive stuff guys!!!

1)When you try to convert to log ,the shadows get a pattern noise.Needs fine-tuning.Let me know if I can help.
2)When you try to export from a later frame it does not create a file and goes to loop.

Also I would like to mention that highlight recovery looks very good.

10.9 5D MkIII

g3gg0

i am impressed what you implemented there.
wow. a really cool player!

btw - can you try to honor the MLVI videoClass field?

uint16_t    videoClass;    /* 0=none, 1=RAW, 2=YUV, 3=JPEG, 4=H.264 */

if it is compressed video, the field will contain a combination of these flags: (see mlv.h)

#define MLV_VIDEO_CLASS_RAW          0x01
#define MLV_VIDEO_CLASS_YUV          0x02
#define MLV_VIDEO_CLASS_JPEG         0x03
#define MLV_VIDEO_CLASS_H264         0x04
#define MLV_VIDEO_CLASS_FLAG_LZMA    0x80
#define MLV_VIDEO_CLASS_FLAG_DELTA   0x40
#define MLV_AUDIO_CLASS_FLAG_LZMA    0x80

currently the player crashes when you try to play a compressed video file.
i would just show an error message telling that the video format isnt supported.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

baldand

Quote from: Danne on January 24, 2014, 12:39:38 AM
update*
changing from .mlv to the next clip (O,P buttons) results in the next clip keeping the first played clips name. This results in merging the audio from the first file to the next file being exported. For now I have to close down the app and restart to get the names from the files played in the app. GOing from .RAW won,t let me change to the next clip at all.
Mac os X 10.9, 5d mark 3

Thanks, I will see if I can reproduce that.

Quote from: ouuzi on January 24, 2014, 12:43:54 AM
1)When you try to convert to log ,the shadows get a pattern noise.Needs fine-tuning.Let me know if I can help.

There's no pattern noise processing so far. I agree something is needed, mainly for the vertical stripes. I would be happy to get a good sample file from you to test with.

2)When you try to export from a later frame it does not create a file and goes to loop.

I'll see if I can reproduce. Was this with or without sound, MLV or RAW?

Also I would like to mention that highlight recovery looks very good.

It's still quite simple, mainly filling in green from red/blue if that exceeds the white level in the file. It seems to get rid of the worst magenta skies, but it can also cause some visible banding if there is a gradient so it probably needs more work.

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 24, 2014, 01:22:20 AM
btw - can you try to honor the MLVI videoClass field?
currently the player crashes when you try to play a compressed video file.
i would just show an error message telling that the video format isnt supported.

Good point. I will make sure this is handled more gracefully. I'll also will see if I can get it to play back those LZMA and delta encoded files, but I'm not sure if real time playback will be feasible.

I have some ideas for an alternate MLV frame compression algorithm which would allow real time compression (e.g. when importing from a CF card) and decompression (for real time playback). Would be interested to hear your thoughts e.g. if I would try to contribute support for something like that to mlv_dump. See https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issue/29/fast-de-compression-of-mlv-files

Midphase

I think this app is pretty sweet and I appreciate your efforts so much in filling a void which needed to be filled.

One of the things I wish is that the app would open when you double-click on it on the Mac and perhaps display a window where files can be dragged on as opposed to dragging the file on the app icon itself.

It would be extra awesome if, say I dragged 5 .raw files in the app, and it played them back sequentially. This would be extremely handy for reviewing takes.

Many thanks!

baldand

Quote from: Midphase on January 24, 2014, 08:31:02 AM
One of the things I wish is that the app would open when you double-click on it on the Mac and perhaps display a window where files can be dragged on as opposed to dragging the file on the app icon itself.

It would be extra awesome if, say I dragged 5 .raw files in the app, and it played them back sequentially. This would be extremely handy for reviewing takes.

At least basic drag&drop support would be good, but I've had some toolkit challenges trying to get that to work on any platform, so not sure if it's doable.

Have you tried the new O/P keys to go to previous/next file in the same dir? If your takes are sequential files then that should achieve something similar.

(Eventually however, there should be an integrated browser view for this kind of thing. And a proper UI instead of keyboard commands only.)

g3gg0

Quote from: baldand on January 24, 2014, 08:38:38 AM
(Eventually however, there should be an integrated browser view for this kind of thing. And a proper UI instead of keyboard commands only.)

i will add support for your player to my crude and basic raw browser.
its not really high sophisticated as it was ~20 hrs of work, but at least this will provide a simple browser.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Midphase

Quote from: baldand on January 24, 2014, 08:38:38 AM(Eventually however, there should be an integrated browser view for this kind of thing. And a proper UI instead of keyboard commands only.)

Would it be perhaps possible for the commands to be superimposed on the screen at least temporarily?

For instance, when pressing Q, it would say "High Quality On" for a couple of seconds, or when pressing the White Balance numbers it would say "White Balance Tungsten" for a couple of seconds.

ouuzi

Quote from: baldand on January 24, 2014, 08:22:12 AM
Thanks, I will see if I can reproduce that.

There's no pattern noise processing so far. I agree something is needed, mainly for the vertical stripes. I would be happy to get a good sample file from you to test with.

Do you need a MLV file?

QuoteI'll see if I can reproduce. Was this with or without sound, MLV or RAW?

MLV with sound.

One more suggestion is to try to emulate the vision log ACR preset so we can use the Osiris LUT.This will make happy a lot of people.

I can replicate the audio "bug".After a few seconds audio drops out in the viewer,but the wav separate file is intact and full.

timbytheriver

@baldand Thank you to all involved for this next release. So excited; Christmas has come again!!  :)

Some bugs to report on my platform (Mac OSX 10.7.5)

– After indexing, the audio plays a few seconds (5s or so) then drops out while the image stream continues to play. Is this correct, or just my slow mac? (Toggling Drop frame works as intended)
– Can't judge the effect of the nudge audio sync keys because of above

– When Encoding (E) to a folder I am getting: myfile.mov, myfile.wav, and an extra timestamped .wav myfile_10.54.24.wav Is this expected behaviour?

– Also when encoding I randomly / sometimes get a myfile.mov.wav of a few bytes that doesn't open – but no completed movie. I then have to delete all files and start again.

Any thoughts on the above?

EDIT -------

– White Balance keys no longer operating at all
– Ditto above fine colour balancer keys

EDIT: They *do* work but but have discovered that they seemed to have moved from the numeric keypad on the right, to the one above the keyboard on my mac! ::)

Thanks again. You is baaaaad! :P

tim
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

katerlouis

Wooh- my first post and it turns out a great idea. Proud the lil kater is :>
Thrilled to test myyy feature! Have to wait for the footage to come back, grr-

Question: next / prev uses MY finder order or simply alphabetic?
This info is useful because we think of renaming the clips according to whats in there so I may end up ordering them by creation date for some reason-

just curious.

baldand

Quote from: katerlouis on January 24, 2014, 03:54:03 PM
Question: next / prev uses MY finder order or simply alphabetic?
This info is useful because we think of renaming the clips according to whats in there so I may end up ordering them by creation date for some reason-

Currently alphabetic. That's good for RAW or MLV files copied straight from the camera. If you rename to include date, make sure you do it something like YYYY_MM_DD_HH_SS with zero filling.

baldand

Quote from: timbytheriver on January 24, 2014, 12:22:07 PM
– After indexing, the audio plays a few seconds (5s or so) then drops out while the image stream continues to play. Is this correct, or just my slow mac? (Toggling Drop frame works as intended)
What CPU and GPU you have? How long is the WAV file that is created - is that full length?

Quote from: timbytheriver on January 24, 2014, 12:22:07 PM
– When Encoding (E) to a folder I am getting: myfile.mov, myfile.wav, and an extra timestamped .wav myfile_10.54.24.wav Is this expected behaviour?
– Also when encoding I randomly / sometimes get a myfile.mov.wav of a few bytes that doesn't open – but no completed movie. I then have to delete all files and start again.

Not exactly. When encoding, another wav is created for exactly the length and sync. That's the one in the non-working case it seems....Not sure what's going on there. Is it totally random or connected to the clip?

Midphase

Can't seem to figure out how to playback CDNG sequences. If I drag the first file on top of the app, the app doesn't recognize it and the Mac Finder simply thinks I want to move or copy my CDNG file to a new folder.

baldand

Quote from: Midphase on January 24, 2014, 08:08:57 PM
Can't seem to figure out how to playback CDNG sequences. If I drag the first file on top of the app, the app doesn't recognize it and the Mac Finder simply thinks I want to move or copy my CDNG file to a new folder.

Yes, I found out today that might need a bit more work on Mac since it doesn't have ".DNG" in its app info. I'll fix that in the next release. After that you should be able to select one of the DNGs and do "Open with" MlRawViewer.

For now you would have to use the command line to run the mlrawviewer binary inside the app directory and give it the CDNG directory as an argument. Sorry!

timbytheriver

Quote from: baldand on January 24, 2014, 07:18:01 PM
What CPU and GPU you have? How long is the WAV file that is created - is that full length?
Slow machine here: MacMini 2.5khz i5 8gb AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB. Will test it on my Mac Book Pro. Rogue WAV file is always 44bytes!
Quote from: baldand on January 24, 2014, 07:18:01 PM
Is it totally random or connected to the clip?
Seems random. Have tried several clips. *But* I notice that if I play a file say half way through and press E the encode fails in the way I described. If I press E right at the start of the play the file encodes properly! Maybe that's a clue?

Apart from this – your app is a thing of beauty! :)

tim
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

tonybeccar

Awesome app!!!! I included it in my batch MLV converter...

I've been using the 1.0.4 in windows.. and when I open an MLV file, sometimes it opens fine, but other times the program opens and closes in a second, quitting, the audio file is created. When I go again, there it is fine! Here is a log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kj33bt0iihq6ef0/mlrawviewer.log

Would it be too much trouble to add a bar with controls? Or maybe that the overlay progressbar shows then the mouse is over the window? Or a key shortcut to hide and unhide it? When shooting 2.35:1, the video is not too tall, and the bar covers a good amount of the frame!

Also, the repeat function.. can it be disabled??

Another.. would it be too much trouble for the program to delete the .wav file after we close it? It happens that if you have a neat folder structure with MLV files, some will have wav files and some won't..

And last but not least.. in windows, do I have command line options? As I have my batch converter.. maybe those can be useful for comunicating with your program..

Thanks and cheers!!

baldand

Quote from: tonybeccar on January 28, 2014, 08:32:58 PM
I've been using the 1.0.4 in windows.. and when I open an MLV file, sometimes it opens fine, but other times the program opens and closes in a second, quitting, the audio file is created. When I go again, there it is fine! Here is a log:

Thanks for the log. I think I have an idea what's going wrong (with the wav handling).

Would it be too much trouble to add a bar with controls? Or maybe that the overlay progressbar shows then the mouse is over the window? Or a key shortcut to hide and unhide it? When shooting 2.35:1, the video is not too tall, and the bar covers a good amount of the frame!

A proper UI (and browser) is high on the list of things to do next. See the issue list and please vote up ones you'd like to see tackled sooner: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issues?status=new&status=open

Also, the repeat function.. can it be disabled??

I think it could be made optional, probably later with a persistant setting.

Another.. would it be too much trouble for the program to delete the .wav file after we close it? It happens that if you have a neat folder structure with MLV files, some will have wav files and some won't..

You don't think it's at all useful that the embedded sound data is extracted to a WAV? Again though, this could be made an option.

And last but not least.. in windows, do I have command line options? As I have my batch converter.. maybe those can be useful for comunicating with your program..

There are 3 command line args. First is the name of the video (or CinemaDNG directory). Second [optional] is the name of an external wav file to use if there is no embedded wav (if you have an external recorder like I do). Third is the base name to use for an exported file. At the moment there are no more args, e.g. to launch with certain settings or modes. But feel free to suggest some that you might like to have available either here or on the issues list above.

ted ramasola

This is great. Fast and responsive. Nice to see it incorporated with Tonybeccar's MLV converter.

Have to vote +1 also that the wav file generated by the viewer be deleted when viewer is closed as this clutters the folders when the DNGs and WAV will eventually be extracted from the MLV later on.

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

tonybeccar

Wow, yes! very fast and responsive! :D Thank you!!!

Agree with Ted, the wav file will eventually be extracted with the dng's, so we dont need it on the mlv folder, the mlv container is supposed to have the audio included!

Thanks for the issue list, didnt know about that one! Cheers!!

PTRush

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but here goes- can I export mlv's to cinema dng's with sound on my Mac? Can't seem to find the answer anywhere.
Thanks for the great app!!!

Kharak

I think someone else posted similar like this, but believe that was on Mac. I am on Windows.

On version 1.0.2 I could choose RAW/MLV files to open default with MLRawViewer, but on 1.0.4 I have to drag and drop each file and next/prev does not work.

Am I doing something stupid?
once you go raw you never go back

mario1000

When I record a video with 21 fps I get the following MLV Viewer protocol:

MlRawViewer v1.0.4 alpha
(c) Andrew Baldwin & contributors 2013-2014
Using GLFW
Opening MLV file C:\Users\ich\Desktop\M31-1206.MLV
Black level: 2047 White level: 15000
FPS: 29.776
Audio frame count 346
Set indexed. Frames missing: 3
Audio loop running
Width: 2560 Height: 1090 Frames: 728
Using Bilinear demosaic algorithm
Indexing completed
Stopping Audio

So the FPS number is interpreted as 29.776 instead of 21 fps. Have you got any ideas about how to fix this?

Best regards

baldand

Quote from: mario1000 on January 31, 2014, 04:56:22 PM
So the FPS number is interpreted as 29.776 instead of 21 fps. Have you got any ideas about how to fix this?

How did you set the frame rate? Did you use the "exact framerate" FPS override option, or something else?
Which camera, and how recent is your software?

If you record with "exact framerate", does it still report the wrong framerate?

At least on 7D I am able to record with 21 fps and the correct rate is reported. My guess is that the rate is recorded wrongly in the MLV file for some reason.