MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary2013

I am not sure if it has been mentioned or maybe I am missing something, but can we extract a raw/mlv to automatically go to the folder where the raw/mlv file is located? Currently, I have to navigate a loy to relocate it. And also have the ability to create a new subfolder using  the name of the raw/mlv file?

Kharak

Thank you very much for this program, Baldand.

This was exactly what I was looking for.

I can do clean playback on my laptop now. Amazing!
once you go raw you never go back

dubzeebass

Quote from: gary2013 on January 02, 2014, 07:07:29 PM
I am not sure if it has been mentioned or maybe I am missing something, but can we extract a raw/mlv to automatically go to the folder where the raw/mlv file is located? Currently, I have to navigate a loy to relocate it. And also have the ability to create a new subfolder using  the name of the raw/mlv file?

Gary, check my thread here it does it: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9731.0

gary2013

Thanx dubzee, but I am using a PC and this looks like Mac. I also need an all in one exe app since I don't know dev stuff.  :(  Maybe I am in the wrong thread. I am asking about the MLV Browser.

timbytheriver

@baldand Please excuse my ignorance, but has the mac.app package on your bitbucket site been updated now to read dngs, and mlv with audio? This is far and away the neatest viewer so far. Thanks a million!

tim
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

baldand

Quote from: timbytheriver on January 14, 2014, 02:51:55 PM
@baldand Please excuse my ignorance, but has the mac.app package on your bitbucket site been updated now to read dngs, and mlv with audio? This is far and away the neatest viewer so far. Thanks a million!

tim

Not yet. The current status for the source code in bitbucket is:

- Directories containing "CinemaDNG" sequences can be played the same as RAW and MLV files
- Also 16bit RGB TIFF sequences can be played (much slower though -> 4x bigger files)
- Embedded sound packets in MLV are read and a WAV file is created
- There is an audio playback thread (but nothing feeding it yet)
- There is a simple python script for converting RAW or MLV files to DNG sequences, similar to mlv_dump etc. This functionality is not yet integrated with the viewer.
- I've worked out and can fix CPU demosaicing crashing on Win8

The main blocker currently for audio playback is that I need to be able to make playback truly real-time, e.g. to be able to drop frames to keep up with the audio. That needs a bit more rework in the core viewer code but I hope to get it done soon.

Rather than bug people with a lot of small releases containing in-progress functionality, I chose to hold off until there was a bit more to include. But if there is demand for just CinemaDNG playback I could of course make new Mac/Win packages from the current code.

timbytheriver

Quote from: baldand on January 14, 2014, 04:15:56 PM
Rather than bug people with a lot of small releases containing in-progress functionality, I chose to hold off until there was a bit more to include. But if there is demand for just CinemaDNG playback I could of course make new Mac/Win packages from the current code.

@baldand Thanks so much for the update, and I understand your philosophy! Will keep watching this space on this project – as my code help would be about as useful as oxygen in a fire! ;)

PS CinemaDNG playback would always be welcome in the mac app though...  :P
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

revast

hi,

QuoteBut if there is demand for just CinemaDNG playback
There is.... but does that mean I cannot (right now) play back a folder with ( non-cinema) DNG's that I converted with mlv_dump or raw2dng?

So right now I must use raw2cdng via wine or your new commandline converter (I guess its tests/ml2dng.py)  to convert to CinemaDNG to be able to play them back?

QuoteDirectories containing "CinemaDNG" sequences can be played the same as RAW and MLV files
and how do I specify that? best would be if it would work when I give the path to one DNG and also if I give the path to the surrounding folder

Quote./mlrawviewer.py ../Canon_5D_Mark_III_Magic_Lantern_Raw_Video_files/
MlRawViewer v1.0.3 alpha
(c) Andrew Baldwin & contributors 2013
Using GLUT instead of GLFW. Some features may be disabled.
outfilename for CDNG: ../Canon_5D_Mark_III_Magic_Lantern_Raw_Video_files.MOV
Opening CinemaDNG ../Canon_5D_Mark_III_Magic_Lantern_Raw_Video_files/
Could not open file ../Canon_5D_Mark_III_Magic_Lantern_Raw_Video_files/. Error:51044
does that mean it generates a .mov for playing back the DNG's?

QuoteUsing GLUT instead of GLFW. Some features may be disabled.
what am I missing there? I just have glfw2 (libglfw.so.2.6) in ubuntu 12.04...,even 14.04 just has 2.7.2-1 would that be also sufficient?

nevertheless, thanks for MlRawViewer! May it live long and prosper

baldand

Quote from: revast on January 17, 2014, 03:30:39 PM
There is.... but does that mean I cannot (right now) play back a folder with ( non-cinema) DNG's that I converted with mlv_dump or raw2dng?

mlv_dump, raw2dng and RAWMagic (on Mac) should all produce DNG sequences it can display.

how do I specify that? best would be if it would work when I give the path to one DNG and also if I give the path to the surrounding folder

This is how it should currently work.
Give it the directory name and it will play every DNG the dir contains in sorted order (so ideally they should be numbered in sequence with 0 padding to sort correctly).
Alternatively, give it the name of the first DNG file.

My wild guess, from the error code, is you are using an old version of raw2dng to make your dngs? Anyway, it looks like they are missing the CinemaDNG FrameRate tag which recent versions of mlv_dump and raw2dng do include.

does that mean it generates a .mov for playing back the DNG's?

Not by default. Initially it just decodes and plays the files directly. But if you press "E", it should start to create a ProRes file with AMaZE demosaicing using the outfilename it made up or one you suppled.

what am I missing there? I just have glfw2 (libglfw.so.2.6) in ubuntu 12.04...,even 14.04 just has 2.7.2-1 would that be also sufficient?

No, it's looking for libglfw.so.3 in the local directory (which has a quite different API to 2.x). Right now there is not actually much functional difference between GLUT and GLFW. In fact for me GLFW is not working so well in fullscreen mode either on Mac or Linux with AMD drivers. I need to work on that backend a bit more.

MA Visuals

Quote from: baldand on December 28, 2013, 08:42:20 PM
The current code in git should pass the frame rate from the source file to the encoder, but only the Mac 1.0.3 DMG binary includes that - not the current windows binary - and I have to admit I haven't tested it with 23.976. If you are using Mac, upgrade to the 1.0.3 to try that. If you are using Win, you'll need to wait for a new installer or install from source.

Will the next release you are working on contain the new installer for Windows that supports Prores output encoding to 23.976?  This is the only thing preventing me from utilizing the encoding capablility.  Also, will there be a way of batch encoding a group of files, such as all the files in a folder (I'm a windows user)?

baldand

Quote from: MA Visuals on January 18, 2014, 05:50:42 PM
Will the next release you are working on contain the new installer for Windows that supports Prores output encoding to 23.976?  This is the only thing preventing me from utilizing the encoding capablility.  Also, will there be a way of batch encoding a group of files, such as all the files in a folder (I'm a windows user)?

Yes, next Windows installer should have that.

Batch encoding and a browser (which you would need to select the batch) are both on the enhancements list, and should be added in the future, but they are both not currently imeplemented.
https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issue/21/batch-encoding
https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issue/19/browser

MA Visuals

Looking forward to it!  I just voted up batch encoding and browser file listing in Bitbucket, as well as Log output.  With that combination of enhancements, this would likely become my goto post-processing workflow... bye bye After Effects.  :)

ItsMeLenny

I guess my gui was basically already doing that browser thing.

I think I discovered how to get my gui to work, but I have to do more work on it to get it running.
Also, there's really no GL canvas for Tcl/Tk, so it's probably not the best toolkit to use, it has it's downfall in that case.
But I'm still seeing what I can make.

pilgrim

It's work great on Windows 7 - 64bit.
Now, I don't need to pass the DNG and TIFF files anymore but directly from MLV or RAW to ProRes. Even if the encoding is slow (because my computer) but still more comfortable and faster than passing DNG or TIFF, by RAWanizer, EyeFrame , Son of batch, etc; with all my respect to they who make these apps. I even try to get better conversion for resize or colour with Fast Stone on Windows 7 and Rawker (nice program for RAW even if not famous) on MacOS.
It's nice to read that there will be batch, browser... and the LUT  ;) that is a happiness in advance. I can not do coding. I will wait patiently, in the mean time I can clean the harddisk from the RAW files witch disperse with the "mlrawviewer". Thank you very much all who make this possible.

Danne

I usually rename Mlrawviewer so I have about four or more which can encode simultaneously. It, s a great program. Keep up the good work.

ouuzi

I have checked that if you drop the exposure in the viewer you get pink highlights.Can you do any highlight recovery with the application?

baldand

Yes, I've seen the pink highlights too. All the raw data is available so it should be possible in the future to do some kind of highlight recovery.

I added that now to the enhancements list in bitbucket:https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issue/30/highlight-recovery

ouuzi

Also I would like to make a recommendation about white balance.We do not need presets, we need 4 keys (2 for temperature up/down  and 2 for green/magenta +/- like all RAW Converters).what do you think?
I have checked the quality vs ACR and I found that if you post sharpen you get a really nice sharp file,the only problem for me it's the white balance.If you fix that I will ditch ACR completely.It is way faster as well.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: ouuzi on January 20, 2014, 01:35:47 PM
Also I would like to make a recommendation about white balance.We do not need presets, we need 4 keys (2 for temperature up/down  and 2 for green/magenta +/- like all RAW Converters).what do you think?

It was something I was trying to work on as part of the Gui.
At the same time I was doing multipliers. I could go through now and add multiplier buttons for RGB.
But I think temp keys would be harder. Also, the more things that are added the more key combos one has to remember,
which is why I'm meant to be making a gui :P

ItsMeLenny

@baldand
Why is brightness only equal to 16.0 now? Obviously it's correct, but it used to be 50.

ItsMeLenny

All in a nights work, the ability to adjust RGB multipliers;
4, 7 = R-, R+
5, 8 = G-, G+
6, 9 = B-, B+

However they adjust linear (I think), which isn't correct, they should adjust on a logarithmic scale.
But for the moment, they're there.

katerlouis

Don't be mad if my question already occured or even was already answered since i only read the last site-
As awesome as this tool is for mac (and it really f***ing is!) just going through the footage to find the right clip isn't that comfortable. Maybe it's only me, but I first have to exit the current clip via ESC, then drag the next clip onto the app which then appears right behind my finder window and already plays back. "Always open with" doesnt work whatsoever and I would have to exit the app anyways to watch a new clip. Even with a shotlist it's hard to check which take is best.

My question:
is there any way to get this app to work with the Finder Quick View? Maybe it's to utopic but the performance of the playback is amazingly fluid on my new MBPr 15''
Or what about a shortcut for "next" and "prev" clip in the folder?

That we even talk about such picky things here makes me really happy!
Thx to all of you Magic Lantern guys!

k.louis

baldand

Quote from: katerlouis on January 23, 2014, 05:53:29 PM
Or what about a shortcut for "next" and "prev" clip in the folder?

This will eventually be solved with an integrated file browser, but the next/prev shortcut is a nice idea. I'll see if that can be added already now before the browser mode is made.

baldand

MlRawViewer 1.0.4 alpha for Win/Mac now available

I've made new MlRawViewer binary 1.0.4 alpha releases for win32 (Win7+) and OS X (10.7+). See the top post of the thread for links and updated info -> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg91165#msg91165

New headline features vs previous binary releases:

• Sound support, either embedded in MLV files or external wav files (using command line arg only). Playback and encoding to ProRes
  • Drop frame real time playback mode (needed for audio playback). "D" key to toggle.
  • CinemaDNG playback -> Give directory name or first DNG file
  • Log output -> Use "T" key to toggle between Tone mapping, Log and Linear
  • Manual RGB level control with keys 4-9
  • Highlight recovery (should fix magenta sky)
  • FPS now set in encoded ProRes files.
  • Next/Previous file navigation using O/P keys. No need to close and reopen program. (Thanks for that idea @katerlouis!)
  • Mac window gets a working red close icon + working fullscreen icon (due to GLFW backend)
  • Should work properly on Win8 now (not verified)
Please give feedback and bug reports either to this thread, or the bitbucket isues list: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issues

Danne

Oh man! THis is so friggin awesome. Log! White balance, sound, colour. Amazing! Just tried it and what a moment :)
Love the keyboard workflow.

Bug.
Tried to the change to previous/next file and on my computer and it works fine going from .MLV files to both .RAW and .MLV but when starting out from a .RAW file I can,t use the change to previous/next file. I tried with files filmed with a 5d mark 3, Mac os X 10.9.

The log is awesome and to be able to change brightness and whitebalance works very good. So nice!
Exporting works fine and with audio too. Sweet
Can,t thank you enough