MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daycon

I am unable to render out to either prores or dng, has there been a fix for this?

running mac sierra 10.12.5

hwdbk

@Rob: what you're experiencing is what I can reproduce ON LINUX. So far, I've been able to pinpoint it to stdin for the ffmpeg process not coming through. I (sort of) ruled out ffmpeg itself because the problem (stalling output) occurs with ffmpeg 2.7 as well with ffmpeg 3.3. So it must have to do with the Popen stdin piping or the thread that feeds (writes to) stdin of ffmpeg. In fact, if I fake ffmpeg with a script, I can see that no data comes in at all on stdin. Any suggestions are welcome because I am not familiar with Pyton Popen.

@daycon: MOV rendering should work on Mac OS (it does for several users, not just me), read the posts, but not for Linux, it seems. DNG rendering should work if you use the latest commit; in the first commit it didn't, sorry. I fixed it by writing 16-bit DNGs, that seems to work (in fact, if I want these DNGs to work in Adobe Premiere, only the 16-bit ones seem to work anyway). If I have time I will look at this issue.

Thanks.

Kharak

once you go raw you never go back

Danne

Kharak. You should dig into compiling this one :). Not sure where to start and I got one way working on one of my macs. Spent way too many hours with this ;)

Kharak

I am scared of the word "compile". I know that it is not exactly programming, but I know nothing of the sorts.

And i have so little time on my hand. The older one gets, the less time is on ones hands.

I will look in to that tread that is somewhere on the forum, that i think a1ex made for newbies compiling or something like that.

hwdbk

On the .MOV export not working (MacOS X) from a built version of  MlRawViewer, I found the following glitch: if ffmpeg is updated on your machine (I use MacPorts), the old binary copied into the MlRawViewer.app/Contents/MacOS/ffmpeg path for some reason no longer works. In mlrawviewer.log I get
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ExportQueue.py", line 796, in stdoutWriter
IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe

repeated 11 times. The export process stops after showing 0.00% for a couple of seconds. I think this means that the dynamic libraries and ffmpeg executable somehow go together, and also that a distributed version of the MlRawViewer.app with ffmpeg inside not necessarily works.
This problem is not related (I think) to the 'ffmpeg doesn't get data' problem where the export process stops at a couple of percent and then stalls.
The saga continues...

MikePeralta

Are there any other programs that can read or transcode MLV files? I've just installed and get the following exception:

File "/home/mike/Downloads/magic lantern/baldand-mlrawviewer-e7abaaf4cf9b/GLComputeGLFW.py", line 315, in __draw
    self.onDraw(w,h)
  File "/home/mike/Downloads/magic lantern/baldand-mlrawviewer-e7abaaf4cf9b/Viewer.py", line 374, in onDraw
    self.renderScenes()
  File "/home/mike/Downloads/magic lantern/baldand-mlrawviewer-e7abaaf4cf9b/GLComputeGLFW.py", line 265, in renderScenes
    s.prepareToRender()
  File "/home/mike/Downloads/magic lantern/baldand-mlrawviewer-e7abaaf4cf9b/Display.py", line 447, in prepareToRender
    self.iconBackground.rectangle(80,height,rgba=(0.0,0.0,0.0,0.25))
  File "/home/mike/Downloads/magic lantern/baldand-mlrawviewer-e7abaaf4cf9b/GLComputeUI.py", line 295, in rectangle
    self.setVab(vertices)
  File "/home/mike/Downloads/magic lantern/baldand-mlrawviewer-e7abaaf4cf9b/GLComputeUI.py", line 289, in setVab
    self.svbo.update(vertices,self.svbobase)
  File "/home/mike/Downloads/magic lantern/baldand-mlrawviewer-e7abaaf4cf9b/GLComputeUI.py", line 90, in update
    self.vbo[ow:(ow+len(data))] = data
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/OpenGL/arrays/vbo.py", line 262, in __setitem__
    size = ArrayDatatype.arrayByteCount( self.data[0] )
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/OpenGL/arrays/arraydatatype.py", line 184, in arrayByteCount
    return cls.getHandler(value).arrayByteCount( value )
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/OpenGL/arrays/arraydatatype.py", line 53, in __call__
    typ.__module__, type.__name__, repr(value)[:50]
TypeError: No array-type handler for type numpy.type (value: 0.0) registered

flostro

Great to see MlrawViewer is still being worked on. Is there a Windows Release with the added functionality on the horizon?

gigilyer

Can someone please help me figure out how to remove this band (or lines or whatever) on my footage? My files render into DNG sequences and videos just fine but these lines are not removed throught out the process. I have seen other people use mlrawviewer and produce videos without these lines or horizontal bands. PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP

hwdbk

Quote from: MikePeralta on December 01, 2017, 01:58:07 PM
Are there any other programs that can read or transcode MLV files? I've just installed and get the following exception:

File "/home/mike/Downloads/magic lantern/baldand-mlrawviewer-e7abaaf4cf9b/GLComputeGLFW.py", line 315, in __draw
    self.onDraw(w,h)
  File "/home/mike/Downloads/magic lantern/baldand-mlrawviewer-e7abaaf4cf9b/Viewer.py", line 374, in onDraw
    self.renderScenes()
  File "/home/mike/Downloads/magic lantern/baldand-mlrawviewer-e7abaaf4cf9b/GLComputeGLFW.py", line 265, in renderScenes
    s.prepareToRender()
  File "/home/mike/Downloads/magic lantern/baldand-mlrawviewer-e7abaaf4cf9b/Display.py", line 447, in prepareToRender
    self.iconBackground.rectangle(80,height,rgba=(0.0,0.0,0.0,0.25))
  File "/home/mike/Downloads/magic lantern/baldand-mlrawviewer-e7abaaf4cf9b/GLComputeUI.py", line 295, in rectangle
    self.setVab(vertices)
  File "/home/mike/Downloads/magic lantern/baldand-mlrawviewer-e7abaaf4cf9b/GLComputeUI.py", line 289, in setVab
    self.svbo.update(vertices,self.svbobase)
  File "/home/mike/Downloads/magic lantern/baldand-mlrawviewer-e7abaaf4cf9b/GLComputeUI.py", line 90, in update
    self.vbo[ow:(ow+len(data))] = data
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/OpenGL/arrays/vbo.py", line 262, in __setitem__
    size = ArrayDatatype.arrayByteCount( self.data[0] )
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/OpenGL/arrays/arraydatatype.py", line 184, in arrayByteCount
    return cls.getHandler(value).arrayByteCount( value )
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/OpenGL/arrays/arraydatatype.py", line 53, in __call__
    typ.__module__, type.__name__, repr(value)[:50]
TypeError: No array-type handler for type numpy.type (value: 0.0) registered

It looks to me that the numerical math library numpy is not installed properly on your system.
Try sudo pip install numpy or take a look at https://scipy.org/install.html

I would also recommend to no longer use the baldand release, but the latest from
https://bitbucket.org/hwdbk/mlrawviewer/branches/
which is
https://bitbucket.org/hwdbk/mlrawviewer/branch/fix_focus_pixels

Cheers, Henk

hwdbk

Quote from: gigilyer on December 22, 2017, 06:50:51 PM
Can someone please help me figure out how to remove this band (or lines or whatever) on my footage? My files render into DNG sequences and videos just fine but these lines are not removed throught out the process. I have seen other people use mlrawviewer and produce videos without these lines or horizontal bands. PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP

This looks like a Dual-ISO shot. I don't think MlRawViewer handles Dual-ISO in a special way, so you'd need to postprocess the DNGs yourself, or use alternative tools like mlv_dump directly.

hwdbk

Quote from: flostro on December 14, 2017, 10:15:30 AM
Great to see MlrawViewer is still being worked on. Is there a Windows Release with the added functionality on the horizon?
I am in no position to maintain the windows build due to lack of expertise, but you're welcome to give it a try :-)
The latest sources are found in
https://bitbucket.org/hwdbk/mlrawviewer/branch/fix_focus_pixels

whysodifficult

Quote from: hwdbk on October 23, 2017, 06:49:04 PM
For those of you who would wish to try:

https://bitbucket.org/hwdbk/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer%201.5.0%20(Commit%203d7c98f,%20Mac%20OS%20X%20build).zip

No ffmpeg inside due to licensing issues, see Danne's instructions above; ffmpeg goes into Contents/MacOS or Contents/MacOS/extlibs - can't figure out why one sometimes works and the other not, or reverse... Just try out with the E key (export to MOV) and you'll quickly find out.

1) MLV opens okay, but Mac gives an error 10813 when i'm changing the Open With (in the Get Info window) to Change All. Just want the app would run automatically when i click any mlv file.

2) So this version of an app cannot convert MLV to any format, like prores and H.264/5? An in order to make it work, i can place ffmpeg file(s) into contents folder of an app? What excactly files from ffmpeg?

Thank you!

nicolaselhani

Not sure if I'm in the right thread, but it seems like all MLRawViewer stuff are here.

I am on a 2013 MacBook Pro Retina with the latest version of High Sierra 10.13.3 and downloaded MLRawViewer 1.4.3.
I have MLV files from a Canon 5D Mark II at 1856x1044 @ 23.976 fps.

I am trying to export the file with MLRawViewer but nothing is happening.

To export we press E twice right? Once to add to Queue and another time to export?

Also how do we select a location target folder where we want to export?

Any help would be appreciated, and sorry if I posted in the wrong thread, I can see it's very strict, I did my best to pick the right one.

Thanks,

Nick

Kharak

What Format are you trying to export? Prores or DNG ?

Recently someone posted that with the newest release on Mac OS, Prores export did not work anymore. I dont know if High Sierra is that newest one or not (I am on Windows) or if it was an update to the OS that made it not work anymore.

To choose Target Location, press W. Navigate to the folder/location you want to export to.

E is for Export. If you have to press twice, I dont think so.

How about trying MLV App ? https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.0

nicolaselhani

Hi Kharak,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Sorry for not mentioning my export format, it was indeed ProRes that I'm trying to export to, and it's not working.

DNG works fine. But I have always worked in ProRes, so when I saw MlRawViewer could export to ProRes I was so happy.

I'll check out MLV app as you mentioned. From your experience if there was an export from both MLRawViewer and MLVApp both in ProRes on the same file, should the final result be theoretically the same?

I can downgrade to a previous version of macOS (the current one is terrible anyways) if MLRawViewer is worth it.

Thanks again for your help,

Nick

jpegmasterjesse

Yeah, had this same problem after upgrade.  I liked MLRawviewer a bunch because I knew it very well, but have switched to MlvApp now and am enjoying it's robust features, while still getting used to some of the basics of image control.

Check out Switch, too, it has some pretty robust features that could make your life easier working with prores.

Kharak

Mlv app and Mlrawviewer both use ffmpeg to encode Prores. But I cant say for sure that the output will be equal. Baldand, the developer of MLVrawviewer implemented some sort of Shaders in use with the GPU. I dont know what the shaders  do exactly, maybe some way of interpolating colours or repressing sensor artifacts. Just guessing.

But both programs are free and easy to use. MLV app is being developed by several individuals, where mlvrawviewer has not been touched for years.

nicolaselhani

Thanks for your useful information guys. I gave MLV app a go, seems pretty robust for now, and I think as you said, there's been slow development on the MLRawViewer, so it might be better future-proofing getting to work with MLV app as things stand.

Quote from: jpegmasterjesse on March 29, 2018, 09:34:43 AM
Check out Switch, too, it has some pretty robust features that could make your life easier working with prores.

As for Switch, the only thing I found relating to it is a command line tool, do you use that version or is there a GUI version available somewhere?

Thanks

Danne

dfgh

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just updated to windows 10 and I can't get any versions of MLRAWViewer to load up any more. I tried to open it and it just doesn't

Tried : Runs as admin
          Compatibility mode
          loads of different builds
          Turning of windows defender app control

Any ideas?

UPDATE: OK that fixed itself somehow after a restart,  may have even been an update to windows that did it.

The problem I have now is, that it won't export, what am I doing wrong now?

Xuukihead

Im using Melt : https://www.mltframework.org/ to edit video footage, which im not sure can edit raw files but works however with Mov files.
I havent successfully converted the raw files with MIRawViewer  to a Mov what appears is the following image throughout 

What is happening here?

Many thanks

dra37

Hello guys, thank you for keeping on working on MLRawViewer.

I just upgraded from a 5d MK II to a MK III

After trying the MlRawViewer (Commit 283bdee, Mac OS X build, 20171121).zip, I managed to read 10 and 12 bit .MLV files and export them to DNG. I do, however, also have a problem when exporting to MOV: the export stays stuck at 0% for a while and then it stops.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I tried a few alternatives to MLRawViewer, but I prefer the quality and the workflow of MLRawViewer and wish to continue working with it.

Thank you for your help,

All the best!

leandroprz

I'm having issues viewing MLV files.
The program shows I have two files inside a folder:

But when I access the folder, I don't see any files:

Yet they are there in the file explorer:

I'm using v1.4.3 on Windows 10.