MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

The main factor for speed in MLVFS is the processing options you have selected (the overhead of the virtual file system and simple MLV->DNG is quite low, typically below 30% of one CPU core). Many users enable these willy-nilly without realizing that some of them add quite a bit of overhead, and without understanding what they do, and when they aren't really needed. So typically you leave everything off until you are ready to render, then turn on just the options you need.

BMSmile

Why after exporting .mlv to .dng sequence via MlRawViewer, output folder is 2x times lighter than original .mlv file? >:(
If there'll be option for lossless exporting to .dng (like via MLVMystic), then MLRV'll be my all-in-one tool ;)

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: BMSmile on April 10, 2016, 03:26:17 AM
If there'll be option for lossless exporting to .dng (like via MLVMystic), then MLRV'll be my all-in-one tool ;)
DNG export is lossless.
FYI, DNGs get compressed but with a lossless compression (you can even disable that: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg142928#msg142928 )

Now, that being said, any reason not to use MLVFS already?

StudioKix

this is a brilliant tool; shame its not being developed any more!
it still seems to be working for me under mac osx yosemite and I really like it!

only shortfall is that the dng files coming out of this are compressed, which is not supported by many programs.

while reading through this topic I saw a few people commenting that the compression can be disabled
and even one instruction... however it seems I'm being a bit thick here... the described files dont seem to exist in the package directory...

is there anyone here who would be willing to elaborate on how to disable the dng compression?
it would be hugely helpful make this a very very convenient goto tool... for me at least...

I do alot of timelapsing etc. hence looking for a way to go through photosoftware rather than film software.

any hints, tips or full blown tutorials greatly appreciated!

Licaon_Kter

Can't help you with that, you should be able to fix it for your platform, clone the repo and the dependencies, edit that file, re-compile the app.

Now, that being said, any reason not to use MLVFS already?

Roberto Mena

I was using Mlviewer and halfway through looking/converting my mlv files on it, it stopped working for the remaining mlv files. What is weird though is that any mlv files I had already looked at or converted to dng's I am still able to make Mlviewer work with those mlv files. I rebooted my MacBook Pro 15" a couple of times and still can't get the remaining mlv files to work with Mlviewer. Please help me. Thanks.

P.S. I could not find a thread regarding this. 

Roberto Mena

P.P.S

I don't like using MLVFS because the DNG files disappear when I turn off my MacBook Pro, even if I use them in Premiere Pro and save the project, even then when I reboot, they are gone. If there was a way where I could grab and save the DNG files from MLVFS I would use it over Mlviewer. Is there way to do that in MLVFS? 

Danne

You can drag the folders from MLVFS to a directory and this converts the files to physical dng files.
What happens if you rebuild your mlvfs project by ejecting and erasing your idx files? 

markodarko

The point of MLVFS is that you DON'T have to convert (and hence have two lots of files on your system).

You just need to ensure that you mount the folders that contain your MLV files before opening premiere pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmilligan

Roberto Mena

Thanks Danne for the help but what do you mean by saying that I "can drag the folders from MLVFS to a directory and this converts the files to physical dng files." What do mean by "directory" and how do you drag the files off of MLVFS and from where exactly in MLVFS? Because I've tried grabbing the DNG files when I see them appear when I import them into Premiere Pro but I can't drag and or copy them so I can't grab them.

"What happens if you rebuild your mlvfs project by ejecting and erasing your idx files?" What are "idx" files? And how do I rebuild my MLVFS project?

Thanks.

dmilligan

This thread has gotten way OT.

MLVFS is a service that makes the operating system think you inserted a disk into your computer containing DNG files. Rather than working like a real disk driver that sends file data from a physical disk, MLVFS reads MLV files from some real physical directory (aka folder) on your hard drive that you point it to and converts them to DNG 'on the fly'. This is the same way "mounting a disk image" works (if you don't know what that means, google it).

Once you launch MLVFS a new "drive" should show up on your computer. The drive is "mounted" to the directory you specify. So to get to it, simply navigate to the empty mount directory you selected when launching MLVFS. You'll notice that it is no longer empty, but contains the contents of the "disk".

When you reboot your computer, MLVFS has to shutdown. This is equivalent to physically removing a disk from your computer (you are removing the MLVFS "disk"). If you have a premiere pro project that uses assets (aka files) contained on a "disk", and you start it up without the disk inserted, it will complain that it can't find the files (this is what is happnening to you). To prevent that, you would simply make sure to insert the disk before launching the premiere project. To "insert the disk" that is MLVFS, simply launch MLVFS like you did previously.

TLDR:
All you need to do is launch MLVFS again after you reboot (the same way you did the first time), before you start Premiere Pro. And like I mentioned previously, you can make this automatic by creating a startup script that does it for you.

Roberto Mena

I love that the techs on this forum are so super knowledgable and are also eager to help. This hasn't been usually the case in the real wold, so kudos!

fotorebelion

I am having problems to use this.. the Python for like Linux crashes with a gl error
And when I use wine for the windows version.. the dots don really go away..and the dng. Files are pink!?

Roberto Mena

"I was using Mlviewer and halfway through looking/converting my mlv files on it, it stopped working for the remaining mlv files. What is weird though is that any mlv files I had already looked at or converted to dng's I am still able to make Mlviewer work with those mlv files. I rebooted my MacBook Pro 15" a couple of times and still can't get the remaining mlv files to work with Mlviewer. Please help me. Thanks."

I found a solution to my own question. I took the MLV files that where no longer working with Mlviewer (on my CF card) and put them on a different folder on my portable HD and that fixed the issue and am able to work with the MLV files in Mlviewer. 

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: fotorebelion on May 23, 2016, 05:36:36 PM
I am having problems to use this.. the Python for like Linux crashes with a gl error
And when I use wine for the windows version.. the dots don really go away..and the dng. Files are pink!?
MLVFS does not cover your needs?

Did you get all the needed stuff? ( GLFW? Scandir? etc )

fotorebelion

I havent tried MLVFS.. i will look in to this..

what other stuff? i installed the dependancies i have found mentioned and did the python build..  what Scandir?  when i run ./mlrawviewer.py from directory the gui window pops up and i can naviage to my MLV files.. but when play it crashes to a black screen

vtheroc

Quick question.  Am I able to get audio out from my 5D markiii when using magic lantern in raw MLV mode I have MIRawView 1.4.3 installed in my camera?  If so how? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: vtheroc on May 25, 2016, 08:32:27 PM
Quick question.  Am I able to get audio out from my 5D markiii when using magic lantern in raw MLV mode
For recording sound when recording RAW: be sure to also load the module MLV_SND, restart camera and enable Audio recording
Or did you men something else?

I have MIRawView 1.4.3 installed in my camera
Wat?Not really...

If so how? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It should just work

togg

@Licaon_Kter The reasons that prevented me from switching to MLVFS are a lot: I have a computer not super powerfull, I like to make immediatelly a selection and a backup exporting the DNGs with MLRV, I have a 5d II and MLV sucked a little bit maybe now with MLV Lite is better.

Have I missed something? I've not comeback to it recently.

edit: also 1.3.3 now stuck itself if you skip to next or previous video while playback is active. Damn I'd really pay for the software if someone would take the development back!

Licaon_Kter

Last version is 1.4.3.

Once MLVFS opens a file, you can copy DNGs from there, basically like exporting them from MLRAWviewer.

togg

I remember having problems with 1.4.3, I'll try it again mmm

ibrahim

Hi,

Using v.1.4.3 I'm trying to use log-c as the curve followed by two 3D luts: M31-log32 followed by M31-Rec709_32
Is there a way to use two 3D luts in this application?

I don't want to do any CC or C grading in any video-editing software only in Lightroom after having exported MLV to DNG.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

Danne

domasa

I have more than 1TB *.RAW videos with *.MRX files.
How can I trim all files? (I set input and output for most videos in MlRawViewer.)