MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinxx

baldand

Quote from: togg on November 27, 2014, 05:21:40 PM
- Shift-B key tries to find the first 12kHz beep in the audio file, and sets the audio offset to that

This is pure magic. I use the same work flow that you and this could save a lot of work!

I hope this works for you. It's not 100% perfect, but for me it is working quite well in most cases. If the first 60 seconds of the wav has a lot of broad spectrum noise it can pick the wrong offset though.

baldand

If you try 1.4.2, please write a short note here about your environment and observations, even if everything works OK, and especially if it doesn't.

Thanks!

feureau

I was coming back to ask if anyone keeps getting 2-3 black frames at the end of their DNGs but that was with 1.3.4.

Surprised to find 1.4.2 :D That audio sync will prove useful! Thanks for this! (any plans for x64?)

Btw, what's the DNG setting with MLRawViewer? I was trying raw2cdng and MLRawViewer consistently puts out much smaller DNGs. Almost half the size compared to raw2cdng 16bit maximized. Btw, does 1.4.2 put out the white balance info on the DNG yet? raw2cdng seems to put the MLV WB info on the DNG when loaded in Resolve.

First impression:

the folder browser is really slow on my system. Even scrolling down takes a few seconds.

I can't seem to associate .mlv with mlrawviewer anymore. :(

EDIT: I try setting MLRawViewer as the default program to open MLV when I double click them. I tried using the Open with dialog on windows to associate .mlv with mlrawviewer, but it wouldn't let me pick mlrawviewer for some reason. Anyone got any ideas?

coryaycock

@baldand (referring to smooth playback and GPU/Intel question) 

I have a mid-2011 iMac and tried the other suggestions.  Still no luck.  It played smoothly before, during tests, but can't figure out why it won't play smoothly now.  I'm not sure what to do.  I am currently exporting as MOV to check all the clips.  The sound plays normally, just the picture skips.  I know it might be frustrating with little issues like this, especially since you just put out a new update, (I'm using an older version) so if you don't have any other suggestions, I understand.  Thanks! 

togg

Quote from: feureau on November 28, 2014, 03:02:09 AM

Btw, what's the DNG setting with MLRawViewer? I was trying raw2cdng and MLRawViewer consistently puts out much smaller DNGs. Almost half the size compared to raw2cdng 16bit maximized.

Compressed dng since a few versions. Same quality, half the size, preview not working in osx preview.

baldand

Quote from: coryaycock on November 28, 2014, 03:38:53 AM
I have a mid-2011 iMac and tried the other suggestions.  Still no luck.  It played smoothly before, during tests, but can't figure out why it won't play smoothly now.  I'm not sure what to do.  I am currently exporting as MOV to check all the clips.  The sound plays normally, just the picture skips.  I know it might be frustrating with little issues like this, especially since you just put out a new update, (I'm using an older version) so if you don't have any other suggestions, I understand.  Thanks! 

Your machine should be fast enough for smooth playback, so this is a bit mysterious.

If you play back in non-drop frame mode (press F, or change clock icon to a frame) there is no sound but you will see all frames. Is that not a usable alternative to the MOV render for checking? Does that play back noticeably under the real speed?

You say it was smooth "before" - can you say in which version? 1.3 introduced a new demosaic function for playback, which could possibly be slower on older GPUs, but I wouldn't have expected this on your machine.

Another question - how long (number of frames) and what res are the clips you are playing? Is it skipping even with short or lower resoluton clips?

baldand

I was coming back to ask if anyone keeps getting 2-3 black frames at the end of their DNGs but that was with 1.3.4.

I think I've seen that mainly with clips from 5diii. Not really in my own 7D clips.

(any plans for x64?)

No plans unless people start complaining of crashes due to OutOfMemory. Mainly because it's more confusing/work to have 2 win versions and I don't see any benefits.

Btw, what's the DNG setting with MLRawViewer? I was trying raw2cdng and MLRawViewer consistently puts out much smaller DNGs. Almost half the size compared to raw2cdng 16bit maximized.

Lossless JPEG compression - all the same data in a smaller file, just iike ZIP for your DNGs.

Btw, does 1.4.2 put out the white balance info on the DNG yet? raw2cdng seems to put the MLV WB info on the DNG when loaded in Resolve.

Nope. chmee did a great job reverse engineering the camera WB values into multipliers. I haven't done anything similar yet.

the folder browser is really slow on my system. Even scrolling down takes a few seconds.

Hmmm... this is wierd. What kind of environment did you have again?
Did you try 1.4.1, and if so was that also slow?
What kind of directory structure do you have - lots of DNGs?
Is is slow even in a directory with just a few clips?

I can't seem to associate .mlv with mlrawviewer anymore. :(

EDIT: I try setting MLRawViewer as the default program to open MLV when I double click them. I tried using the Open with dialog on windows to associate .mlv with mlrawviewer, but it wouldn't let me pick mlrawviewer for some reason. Anyone got any ideas?

I recall something similar in the past on Win7, can't remember how I fixed it though.

swinxx

I would love to use your player to convert my files but have some banding issues for my 5dmk3, so i hope that you will implement 5dmk3 vertical stripe correction algo soon ;)
Thx

swinxx

@baland:
i tried to convert a video with the new version, when i press e a directory is created but nothin happens?
it does not work with dng and mov export here?

i have a mac system.

thx

baldand

Log file please. I can't say much otherwise. I have tested export in OS X so it should be working fine.

BTW re your stripes. I will not be integrating any other stripe reduction code. If you have clips which are not being corrected by the current algorithm, you could share an example with me that show the problem and perhaps I can tweak the current code to be more effective with it.

swinxx

@baland:

ok thx, here is the log file:

https://copy.com/xmvwYt1OLGo4S8au

and yes indeed, i have some shots which have problems. here is one dng from a shot without correction applied:
ok.. i can not convert those dngs because the converting is not working :)
however i can playback the mlv file - which is too big to share.

so when the export is working again, i will put the dngs into the folder.
in the meantime i put in a screenshot with a lut applied, ok the settings seem extreme but there i can see vertical lines all over the image.
with mlvfs those lines are gone completely.

greets. sw

baldand

@swinxx I see what the problem is. Can you try deleting the old .MRX file alongside the clip and then reopening and trying the export again? Let me know if that works.

I will try to put code in the next release to avoid this problem.

swinxx

kgv5

Is there any progress in implementing andy600s cinelog-c into mlvrawviewer? Seems that the last posts about it were in the end of august, did i miss something?

@baldand
testing 1.4.2 right now, win7 64bit,  seems good, nothing bad to report :)
Is there any chance to implement some highlight/shadow adjusting? This would be very useful, brightness setting is great but sometimes there is a need for more flexibility.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Andy600

@kgv5 - I have a private copy that's working without luts but I'm not 100% happy with it yet. When I get my current work out of the way I will try and finalize it.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

togg

Quote from: baldand on November 28, 2014, 06:47:14 AM

I recall something similar in the past on Win7, can't remember how I fixed it though.

In osx I can't associate the raw files with the app neither. Since a long time anyway.

morsafr

Hi baldand,

It seems "E" key is not working every time to export clip but "C" key is still functioning normally.

(Mac Pro Mavericks).

BR,

baldand

Quote from: morsafr on November 30, 2014, 12:59:20 PM
Hi baldand,

It seems "E" key is not working every time to export clip but "C" key is still functioning normally.

(Mac Pro Mavericks).

BR,

I need more details in order to diagnose and fix this.

1. What happens when it fails? What do you see?
2. Both MOV and DNG, or just one kind?
3. MLV or RAW?
4. Does same file always fail or succeed?
5. Please find the log file and post it.

goran

Hello All,

I hope I'm posting in a correct place.

I'm using the latest mlrawviewer version on OS X, which is currently 1.4.2.
If I hit "A" to toggle anamorphic mode to correct the 50/60p squeeze the image appears fine. However if I hit "E" to export the file to .mov, it's exported without the correction. Any way around this? I most likely am missing something.

Also, is there a way to export from mlrawviewer at certain resolution? If I'm shooting continuous 50/60p I get continuous recording at 1600xXXX (don't remember exactly) resolution. It would be great if the file could be directly exported from mlrawviewer at 1920x1080 (after applying the anamorphic correction) instead of going through another batch of processing through davinci or premiere in order to get 1920x1080 files instead of 1600xXXX.

All best,
Goran

baldand

Hi Goran,

Unfortunately MlRawViewer currently only exports MOV files at the original resolution. Any anamorphic or high-fps (de)squeeze is purely for viewing only, not for export.

Piotruchna

Hello,
some of the mlv files work but from one folder when I open mlv file, MlRawViewer just crashes, every file from that folder crashes mlrawviewer. Ive got this from log:

Updating standard 1D LUTs
MlRawViewer v1.4.2
(c) Andrew Baldwin & contributors 2013-2014
Using GLFW
Loading 'D:\\nagrywane filmy\\filmy mlv 2 - g\xf3ry\\M01-1343.MLV'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\Projects\MRV\build\mlrawviewer_win\out00-PYZ.pyz\Viewer", line 162, in load
  File "c:\Projects\MRV\build\mlrawviewer_win\out00-PYZ.pyz\MlRaw", line 1565, in loadRAWorMLV
  File "c:\Projects\MRV\build\mlrawviewer_win\out00-PYZ.pyz\MlRaw", line 654, in __init__
  File "c:\Projects\MRV\build\mlrawviewer_win\out00-PYZ.pyz\MlRaw", line 756, in parseFile
  File "c:\Projects\MRV\build\mlrawviewer_win\out00-PYZ.pyz\MlRaw", line 880, in parseWavi
  File "c:\Projects\MRV\build\mlrawviewer_win\out00-PYZ.pyz\wave", line 504, in open
  File "c:\Projects\MRV\build\mlrawviewer_win\out00-PYZ.pyz\wave", line 304, in __init__
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'D:\\nagrywane filmy\\filmy mlv 2 - g\xf3ry\\M01-1343.WAV'
Exception AttributeError: "Wave_write instance has no attribute '_file'" in <bound method Wave_write.__del__ of <wave.Wave_write instance at 0x05E83530>> ignored
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 98, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 90, in main
  File "c:\Projects\MRV\build\mlrawviewer_win\out00-PYZ.pyz\Viewer", line 166, in load
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'r' referenced before assignment

Any thoughts whats wrong?

Edit:
I would like to add that these files were opening in previous version (dont remember which).

Edit2:
As there is no response yet. I tried to open my files with built in browser and it did produce thumbnails like on screenshot:

But when I click to open window goes black, unresponsive and program quits. :)

Edit3: I did check every version and till 1.3.4 every clip on my hdd works. Ive got new bug from log from 1.4.2:

UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xf3' in position 34: ordinal not in range(128)

lureb74

Hello,
I have a question: when you toggle to anamorphic aspect to fix a clip shooted in 50p or 60p and exporting to MOV, the aspect ratio of the exported clip appears not fixed. Is that normal?
Thanks,
Lorenzo

Audionut