MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldand

If you are trying to playback direct from CF card, you should check the read speed you are getting and confirm that it is higher than the bitrate of the file.

For example, my KB64GB cards can write 70+MB/s in camera, but for some reason they only read back with my card reader at 60MB/s, so I can never get perfectly smooth playback straight from card

If you have verified the read speed and it should be good enough. then other things to try are:

1. Disable the histogram by clicking on it
2. Turn off the vertical stripe correction
3. Remove all 1D and 3D LUTs

Finally, you can guarantee seeing every frame (no skipping) at a lower frame rate by changing out of the default drop-frame mode. Click the clock icon to a "frame" or press F.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: tonybeccar on November 12, 2014, 05:22:10 AM

Is anyone acheiving smooth proper playback? What computer specs would you recommend?

I understand there have been improvements in mlv_playback in camera but for now not something usable right? We will have 3 monitors on set.

Thanks for the help and I'd appreciate comments!
Cheers!

@tonybeccar -- I'm currently running this app on my 2006 macbook pro (2.4 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 6gb ram along w a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB graphic card which isn't the best in the market these days anymore) and the playback speed is still pretty neat actually besides the fact that if I have 'Quality Preview Debayering' enabled it would have a bit of a choppy type of playback otherwise...is that you were referring to earlier -- if I'm not wrong?

ALSO I would rather offload the files off from a card into HD or external HD for smoother playbacks (unless you have fast cards -- for me on this macbook pro I can have a pretty decent playback with KB 128gb 1066x and Lexus 32gb 1000x as well as Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb 1000x) hope this helps.

SJ
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DeafEyeJedi

**More Feedbacks**

Also when trying to add more Luts (Shift + L) and its rather more difficult to add more than one file at once (Command + A or even with cursor + shift) still doesn't work as it previously did in 1.3.4...

Perhaps implement the older version of adding LUTS (VERSION 1.3.4) just for the adding LUTS feature unless you have something else under your sleeves that I don't know of?

Thanks again @baldand  8)

baldand

Just click all the luts you want and they are immediately imported (shown by dimming)

5DanielMIII

Quote from: tonybeccar on November 12, 2014, 05:22:10 AM
Is anyone acheiving smooth proper playback? What computer specs would you recommend?

I have an Retina MacBook Pro 15inch, late 2013, ssd, 16gb Ram and i7 quad 2,3ghz.
Playback is preeeety good, realtime, and I can view my MLV files straight of my Lexar 1066X 64gb memory card, thru my Lexar USB 3 CF reader.

That is my setup when filming in the field and I need to review my shots right away for focus, framing/positioning etc.  :)
I am thankful that Jesus and MagicLantern exist, because they both change lives!

coryaycock

Ok, I copied and pasted the post below after be directed here by baldand.

"Hi,

First off, I'm so very happy to have this convenient software. :)

Previously, I had 1.2.3 and was having problems with it skipping when trying to view mlv files.  I now upgraded to 1.4.1 and it's doing the same thing.  I am shooting at 24fps with 1/48 shutter on my 7d (Nightly).  I'm also getting vertical black banding and was hoping someone knew of a way to get rid of this.

Everything seems to play 24fps after exporting and into FCPX, but was wondering if I need to change a setting within MlRawViewer so I can view the footage without stutter and what can be done about the banding. 

I'm kind of desperate here.  Any help would be greatly appreciated."

*A screenshot won't adequately show the banding, so I will attempt to describe it better.  It's like a horizontal shadow moving up the screen when the clip is playing...almost like when you would get bad reception with old TV's while adjusting the rabbit ears.  It starts at the bottom and then moving up the screen.  It's only on a few dark clips. 

Also, is there anything to be done about the skipping while trying to view footage?

Thanks for the response!

feureau

Cory, I have never experience this with my 7D.  Can you post a .mlv file that shows this so I can test it on my rig?

For skipping, have you tried disabling frame skipping?

coryaycock

It actually looks a little better on vimeo than in final cut but you can still see the faint shadows moving upward.  This is probably unrelated to MLRawViewer (which is why I posted elsewhere originally) yet I am still having trouble playing footage fluidly with the Viewer.  It skips.  The sound is fluid but the picture stutters.  It plays fluidly some of the time, then begins to skip.  I mean, it's not the end of the world, but would like for it to play smoothly if possible.  I tried adjusting the settings with no luck and I just got a new SSD installed so I know it's not due to poor mac performance.

Kharak

@
Quote from: coryaycock on November 13, 2014, 01:29:29 AM
*A screenshot won't adequately show the banding, so I will attempt to describe it better.  It's like a horizontal shadow moving up the screen when the clip is playing...almost like when you would get bad reception with old TV's while adjusting the rabbit ears.  It starts at the bottom and then moving up the screen.  It's only on a few dark clips. 

Sound like a shutter problem? Is there artificial light in the scene while you are getting this shadow? e.g. fluorescent light ? Street light? Mercury light? If your shutter angle is too high or low from 180 degrees then this "shadow" might appear that moves either down or up.

But I have also experienced while shooting 23.976 with 1/48 (180 degrees) under fluorescent light that the shutter shadow would appear, but when changing the shutter to 1/50 (172 degrees) the shadow would not appear.

once you go raw you never go back

coryaycock

As of right now, I'm okay with the moving shadow.  It's probably due to low exposure or something, even though I haven't had this issue before. 
I'm mainly trying to figure out how to get smooth playback with the MlRawViewer now.  I've gone back to 1.2.3, but still choppy.  I was getting pink clips after exporting with 1.4.1.

Thanks!  Sorry if I'm being annoying with a slew of posts...trying to finish up.

feureau

It looks like a shutter sync problem due to difference in shutter speed and the lights. Try shooting in shutter speed according to the region you're shooting in.

coryaycock

On Nightly there is no option for Shutter Speed 1/48.  I select 1/50 with 23.976 FPS override (MLV 1728x972) and then it says "1/48" for some reason when I view it in the Viewer.  Why is this?  Do I need to change FPS override to exactly 24fps or 25 fps?

DeafEyeJedi

Perhaps try to use 'Shutter Fine Tune' to avoid that shutter sync issue? I've seen this before occasionally and it drove me crazy until it went away. Don't remember how I made it dissapear... Other than the FST... Let me know how it goes...

feureau

Quote from: coryaycock on November 13, 2014, 04:14:53 PM
On Nightly there is no option for Shutter Speed 1/48.  I select 1/50 with 23.976 FPS override (MLV 1728x972) and then it says "1/48" for some reason when I view it in the Viewer.  Why is this?  Do I need to change FPS override to exactly 24fps or 25 fps?

Are you shooting in a 50hz electricty or 60 hz electricity?

Also: if you're shooting at 24p, it will switch to 1/48 but I've not encountered problems shooting under 50hz lights. It will go to 1/50 if you're shooting at 25p. Also: Try not using fps override, I can't prove it, but it seems to randomly cause problems sometimes.

dcw1979

Sorry if this has been discussed already. But I am running Windows 7 64bit. Is there a version of MLRawviewer that will run on my system?

baldand

The win32 should work fine on 64bit win7. Please give details of the problem you have.

waltoncr

Great work!

However, I have found the C key does not work.

baldand

Quote from: waltoncr on November 15, 2014, 01:38:25 AM
However, I have found the C key does not work.

Thanks. This will be fixed in the next build (1.4.2)

feureau

Speaking of keys working,

are the following keys supposed to work with the numpad?

• 1, 2, 3 - Change White Balance preset or click the dropper icon and then anywhere to choose a neutral colour
    7, 4 - Change red multiplier up and down by 0.1
    8, 5 - Change green multiplier up and down by 0.1 (by reduced red/blue and increasing brightness)
    9, 6 - Change blue multiplier up and down by 0.1

I find that they work well with the row of keys above the qwerty, but not in the numpad. Tried it with numlock on and off.

Also: Would an x64 version decode/encode faster? I was rendering in the background (set to low priority so I can work on other stuff, premiere runs normally, for instance) and found that the busy computer for some reason made MLRawViewer's processing goes really slow. What used to take half a day took 2 days to complete.

baldand

Quote from: feureau on November 16, 2014, 11:00:22 AM
are the following keys supposed to work with the numpad?

Also: Would an x64 version decode/encode faster? I was rendering in the background (set to low priority so I can work on other stuff, premiere runs normally, for instance) and found that the busy computer for some reason made MLRawViewer's processing goes really slow. What used to take half a day took 2 days to complete.

Nice find with the numpad. This will be fixed in 1.4.2 so they work same as the other number keys.

I doubt a windows x64 version would make much difference, but I have to admit I haven't tried it. Linux and Mac version are usually 64bit, and I don't think they are radically faster. 

Rendering to MOV or export to DNG with stripe processing requires the GPU, so it's possible that putting it to the background and running other programs could disrupt this and have a big impact to the performance. To be honest, the CPU should be maxed out for export or render to get the best speed. It's quite ambitious to consider doing other things on the computer at the same time.

swinxx

Would also be great to change a for Anamorphic and s for speed as mentioned earlier. Thx

cosmo.lv

Hi there!
I come up with idea with a ML RAW video plugin to integrate it like all plugins works under OS X

I`m not a programmer, but somebody with knowledge can investigate its work on this.
since MiRAW has capability to play .RAW video files without converting them to .dng - i think we can integrate MiRAW code into OS X system like a plugin to play .RAW natively. (similar to RED RAW .R3D) or how any other plugins works.

i created a thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13852.0
5D Mark II

feureau

Quote from: baldand on November 16, 2014, 01:56:40 PM
I doubt a windows x64 version would make much difference, but I have to admit I haven't tried it. Linux and Mac version are usually 64bit, and I don't think they are radically faster. 

Would be nice to have x64 version though. :3 maybe even give it access to >4gb RAM.

coryaycock

@DeafEyeJedi @feureau  I checked again, and for the particular shot I posted on vimeo, I shot at 1/81 shutter speed on accident.  That is the reason for the shadows.  All of my other clips are 1/48 and they're fine.  Thanks for the responses!

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: coryaycock on November 17, 2014, 08:06:37 AM
@DeafEyeJedi @feureau  I checked again, and for the particular shot I posted on vimeo, I shot at 1/81 shutter speed on accident.  That is the reason for the shadows.  All of my other clips are 1/48 and they're fine.  Thanks for the responses!
makes sense... good find & Happy Shooting!