MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldand

Can you open the app with an existing MLV file so it doesn't go to the browser first? Then open the browser. It should be in the same folder as the file.

swinxx

yes, thank you.
it works now. this is awesome..

anyway i would recommend some additional features (which would make the selection and working process much more easier :)):

1. after putting a file in the queue, mark it as selected in the browser.. this would be great. perhaps you could also mark it as small red line (the distance from the in and out points.. (like in the normal view)
2. after selected a new wb, update thumbnail in browser.
more to follow..

greets. swinxx

togg

A little thought. Would it be possible to make the fonts retina friendly? It should be really easy, I remember that in the first days of retina mbp people used an app called "retinalizer" to change in one click the fonts on firefox, I still have it but sadly it also reduce the picture size.

baldavenger

Would it be possible to have the option of crop overlays, so for example you could view 16:9 footage with black bars overlaid so that you get the 2.35:1 aspect ratio?  It would save having to go into Davinci to view the footage like so.

Once again, many thanks for this great piece of software!
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

baldand

MlRawViewer 1.4.1 is now available for testing from https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads

The same warnings as for 1.4.0 apply. Don't expect this to be bug free.

Major changes since 1.4.0:
- Browser should be much more responsive when browsing root dirs
- Folders show number of files and a selection of thumbnails they contain
- Thumbnails use set white balance & exposure, and update again after files are viewed
- J/K keys can be used to jump quickly to sibling directories in Browser
- Fixed crash when opening files with paths containing non-ASCII characters
- Various performance improvements

swinxx

@baland
i have just seen that mlrawviewer 1.4.1 is waiting in the wings :) GREAT!

however, as i use 1.4.0 on mac, i wanna ask if you could also turn the mouse scrolling behavior in the browser to be conform for mac. scrolling down on the mouse is up on the mac and vice versa.
the legacy style is kind of irritating.

Thx.

Greets swinxx

Danne

Simply genius. Complete overview in a matter of seconds. Gotta play around some more. So good.
Non-ASCII character folders confirmed working :)

swinxx

hahaha.. brilliantly solved. i like the motion in the folder previews :)
also the nice info about the number of movies in the folders..
i like the style,

suggestions:
- perhaps it is possible to add a button for leaving the folder in the hierarchy. (Like /..) e.g. from c:/MLV/Files1 to c:/MLV - would be great because then there is no need for searching the right keystroke.
- the other suggestions in my preview post
- 5dmk3 vs problem: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygkx1t0jh5uzkhj/Screenshot%202014-11-09%2023.18.41.png?dl=0 (i know that you know it, but i wanna mention it here anyway, cause material recorded with a 5d mk3 suffers from banding)
- when exporting a file (in and outpoints selected) the audio and video files are not linked in resolve (not shown as one file like mlvfs)
- change the shortcut "S" for speed destretch, and "A" for anamorphic destretch. that would be sort of logical to remember
- i know that the image quality from mlrawviewer is made for accurate playback with the player, but perhaps add another option for "Q" for rendered quality preview.. that would also be nice. the preview quality in the viewer is just so different. sometimes you wanna see the real deal :)

all in all, great great great enhancements :=)

Big Thumbs up!!
Greets. swinxx

Danne

There, s high quality preview when you press the triangle symbol. Not all 5D mark 3 suffers from banding (mine for example). I reckon it is not easily fixed. Cool stuff Andrew.

baldand

Quote from: swinxx on November 09, 2014, 11:36:42 PM
- perhaps it is possible to add a button for leaving the folder in the hierarchy. (Like /..) e.g. from c:/MLV/Files1 to c:/MLV - would be great because then there is no need for searching the right keystroke.

There is an up arrow icon (button) next to the filename which does that - same as shift key

swinxx

Ah. Thank you. Have not seen it yesterday. Baland -> Great
Best wishes, swinxx

DeafEyeJedi

Again, Andrew, You have definitely blown the fish out of the water on this remarkable enhancement to this app and It just keeps getting better.

I enjoy getting the complete previews of thumbnails in matter of seconds. THUMBS up on this one!

I also notice a speed increase on loading the MLV/RAW files right before it starts to play ( even on my old macbook pro... NICE! )

Mouse cursor can sometimes disappears randomly at times when moving around ( not a big deal to me ) since it's easier to navigate through w key buttons.  ;D

Just got home from a long day at work and am off tomorrow... so I'll give out more details after playing around with it some more then!

Thanks again!

SJ
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

swinxx

@baland
i have found some strange behavior with some old dng files.. when i put them into mlrawviewer and activate vs corr, the highlights get pink.
here is one dng where this happens:
https://copy.com/s8Nei446tYxr69fS

greets swinxx

togg

I'm having pink highlights too, but Resolve recovered it so all seems fine.

baldand

Does anyone else have comments or feedback about the browser in 1.4.1? Is it working better than 1.4.0 did?

DeafEyeJedi

@baldand -- it is definitely working slightly better regarding the browser in 1.4.1 than 1.4.0 however I also ran into something odd by mistake when I tried to relocate a new target for export...I kept hitting the shift button to back up to the point where now it shows just blank... not sure how to get out of it or select a new target location. Since I cannot keep pressing 'shift' since it's basically a 'dead end' if that make sense -- thoughts?

Just in case you were curious... browser seems to be responding well as far as Im concerned...

I'm just currently trying to get my 'Target Location' back (after pressing 'W') since it just seems like I put myself into a corner and I can't go anywhere else only because I accidentally kept pressing the 'shift' button to try and get into a new location... and now I am unable to export anything until I get this resolved.

Thanks again for your repaid dedication and eagerness in keeping this app up to date!

Danne

Some more feedback. This works for me.
Drag folder or file onto the app and it reveals all files. Hit enter on one of the files and the hit W, then drag the export location folder to the app and it will set the dragged folder as the output folder.
Is the key C for exporting all not suppose to work in this beta yet? Tried but nothing.

The drag folder to get a target folder works. Would it be an idea to implement an export button which lets you select an output as before? Maybe hard to mix this with current thumbnail flow?

baldand

Sorry about the export folders bug. I have a fix for this now which will be included in 1.4.2, but for now you will have to use the drag-folder workaround found by @danne (nice one!)

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on November 10, 2014, 10:25:43 PM
Some more feedback. This works for me.
Drag folder or file onto the app and it reveals all files. Hit enter on one of the files and the hit W, then drag the export location folder to the app and it will set the dragged folder as the output folder.
Is the key C for exporting all not suppose to work in this beta yet? Tried but nothing.

The drag folder to get a target folder works. Would it be an idea to implement an export button which lets you select an output as before? Maybe hard to mix this with current thumbnail flow?
Excellent find @danne -- Been itching to try and play with this app all day today but was away from home. Definitely wasn't easy dealing with that.. haha but yes that works for now and thanks again for your never-ending efforts in finding the loopholes as always as well as to @baldand for your amazing work on this!

Heck I would pay $$ if it were for sale on the app store...

One day you'll do just that!

;)

**some more feedbacks**

I believe this already has been discussed in previous versions but felt it was worth to take note on it... whenever I change the anamorphic aspects (toggle A or S) it affects all the other files and I thought it used to be able to adjust them individually without having this issue -- is this new or an old bug that has not yet been fixed? NOT a big deal (can be annoying at times) and can work around it by exporting individually prior to making the next adjustments within the next file.

5DanielMIII

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on November 11, 2014, 08:51:32 AM

Heck I would pay $$ if it were for sale on the app store...

One day you'll do just that!

No problem, everyone can donate $$$ TODAY! To @baldand & the MLcrew ;-) No app store needed..
I am thankful that Jesus and MagicLantern exist, because they both change lives!

DavidSh

Quote from: 5DanielMIII on November 11, 2014, 04:01:29 PM
No problem, everyone can donate $$$ TODAY! To @bladand & the MLcrew ;-) No app store needed..
How?
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

5DanielMIII

I guess http://www.magiclantern.fm/index.html
On the very bottom of that homepage there is a bitcoin donation tab.

And I am not 10000% sure about @baldand, but a lot of people have paypal etc, anyone can donate thru that.
But the "Money theme" has been discussed a lot here on the forums, and the main idea is that we all help out developing and test new updates=D
Donating hours is good too =)

CanĀ“t remember if it says somewhere in this thread about $$$, but, maybe @baldand will let us know if there is a way to donate..

And yes I agree, this tool is amazing!!
I am thankful that Jesus and MagicLantern exist, because they both change lives!

togg

I agree that it's an amazing app. Without it the workflow that I'm using would be unimaginable.

tonybeccar

Hi!!

Amazing changes to the program, wow, this is REALLY handy now! :)

I have a question:

I am shooting a short film this weekend in 5D Mark III MLV... and I was wondering what was the best way to have SMOOTH playback on set. What kind of computer / mac do I need? I have a macbook air i5 with no graphics card and the playback is choppy, I have a 27" i7 imac with graphics card and the playback is choppy. Am I doing something wrong? Graphics card are involved in the previewing part of the software? DO I need CUDA enabled?

Is anyone acheiving smooth proper playback? What computer specs would you recommend?

I understand there have been improvements in mlv_playback in camera but for now not something usable right? We will have 3 monitors on set.

Thanks for the help and I'd appreciate comments!
Cheers!

Kharak

I thought the playback speed was more dependent of HDD speed than anything..

I put MLrawviewer on my mother in laws computer... yes.. And it played 1920x1080 without any issues.

had 2 gig ram

Integraded gfx card

Don't know if it even had a CPU ;)
once you go raw you never go back