MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKez

Quote@TequilaKez If you press C, it will process all the MLV files in the same folder as the one you loaded.

Damn it, it was there! I looked it over a few times but i guess i was scanning for the word batch or something.
That's great.
Still, the droplet like functionality would be even better:)

kyrobb

Would it be possible to include a saturation control much like the exposure control? This could be very useful.

baldand

VERY UNSTABLE NEW VERSION 1.4.0 NEEDS EARLY TESTING

I have made builds of the bleeding edge MlRawViewer code as version 1.4.0, available from the usual place: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads

I do not recommend that you try these unless you are ready to experience many new bugs and give me detailed reports about them.

It has a major change from the previous releases. The old external file dialogs have been replaced by an integrated browser view. This affects choosing files, LUTs, and the export directory.

The browser can be operated with keys or mouse. Mouse operation should be quite obvious. Keyboard shortcuts are Shift to go up a folder, Enter to enter a folder or choose a file and Backspace to close the browser. Otherwise cursor keys move the focus.

To enter the browser from the normal viewer, click the metadata window, or press Backspace.

If you run MlRawViewer with no file, it will start in the browser.

I'm particularly interested to hear reports about how it behaves for you when you go up to the root folder e.g. to change disks. It tries to scan the file tree for candidate files so it does not show folders which do not contain anything relevant. But that approach may be too slow to use in practice - let me know what you think.

swinxx

hello baland!

thank you for your work, will try it out tomorrow. finally the browser is here :=)

however, have you also  had time to integrate an optimized vertical stripes correction code for canon 5d mk3? that would be an important step forward. (im my direction :))

thx swinxx

baldand

Quote from: swinxx on November 04, 2014, 02:09:54 PM
however, have you also  had time to integrate an optimized vertical stripes correction code for canon 5d mk3? that would be an important step forward. (im my direction :))

No.

baldand

For anyone testing 1.4.0:

After trying it, even if you don't have any problems, please write a short report here describing your environment and what features you tested.

This will greatly speed up the process to stabilise the 1.4.x series and the new browser feature.

Thanks.

togg

I'll try to help and testing, don't know when. I've a loooot of raw files to convert  :'(

kgv5

Great, so lets start testing  :)

Works fine for now. Win 7 64bit, luts are changing nice and fast :) Had some problems in the beginning, is the app make some disks "scanning" or so? It was quite unresponsive for a couple of start ups, now seems good.
Could you please add "back to the list" (backspace) icon? (for the mouse interface)?

What is the function of the  huge X in the interface? To quit the app? Normally it works in the beginning but when some clip was played back the "X" doesnt seem to work anymore, doesnt swith the app off and just comes back to the last played clip.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Danne

Nice one Andrew! I,m on a macbook pro retina 15 inch 2.6 ghz 16gb ram.
Big thumbs up for a really good thumbviewer. Super smooth using backspace and enter back and forth together with arrows. Worked all the time without crashes. It also builds up very fast. I entered a folder with a lot of clips. They popped up within 5 seconds.
Best way to get to a folder, lets say external drive is by drag drop a file from directory and the start using backspace and enter. Searching through the folder with w or mouse cursor not so intuitive. Is there only one direction, up in folder tree?
When fiddling around searching files within the app it froze occasionally, got stuck. Hard to explain exactly what but when pressing arrow going up caused it. Not very intuitive selecting an export folder but it worked.
Also the letters å. ä, ö can,t be used with the app.
An option to create a folder is welcome.
Luts worked fine, no problems at all when tested.
Don,t know if relevant. Davinci and audio don,t merge.
Ok, been at work all day but huge thanks again. Thumbs viewer is a plus 10! Let me know if I could do something else.

Oh, funky that the app opens raw dng still photos. Good still picture viewer as well.
Funky thumb colors because of dual iso I guess.

/D

some pics

folder containing å,ä,ö shows thumbs but can,t be played. Have to rename the folder.

dustatron

When hitting 'c' to ad all the files in a folder to the que the custom settings are not auto added to the all the files in the list any more.

MA Visuals

Nice job on 1.4.  Great to have a browser!  Generally speaking, everything seems to working, but I haven't had to chance to really test properly yet.  The only thing I noticed is that using the backspace key works fine when I want to leave the viewer and go back the browser.  But I find that if you are in the browser, the backspace key often causes MLRawViewer to exit completely (as if I had hit the escape key to exit).  I'm not sure how the backspace key was intended to work when in the browser, but I found myself dumped out of the app quite often due to hitting the backspace key when in Browrer mode.  I also found a number of instances where it appeared to hang when browsing up the directory tree near the root where all the drive would be visible.  I'm guessing that it is attempting to scan for raw/dng candidates but I'm not sure.  I will need to test more to give more thorough observations.  Running Windows 7, nVidia Geoforce GTX 560M.

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks @baldand for the exclusive update on 1.4.0 and will definitely test/play with it tonight after work as soon as I get home...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DavidSh

Thanks @Baldand,

File thumb is a huge progress,

macbook air osx 10.9.3

- seems like browser loses his way a bit when trying to move thru volumes and disks. Under Macintosh HD it shows "Users" and "Volumes" as subfolders, Under "Volumes" it shows "new volume" which is my external Hd.

- feels a little bugy, get stuck or work slow now and then.

Beside that, file browser works great here.

- mouse cursor disappear now and then when i resize window

Thanks,
David.
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

feureau

Great advances, Baldand!

Trying this out with Windows 7 x64. Clicked the up arrow to get to "My Computer" to switch drives. Program froze after reaching C:\ and clicking the up arrow. It goes up after a few minutes.  But moving between folders is sometimes painfully slow. When exporting a footage, it asks for an output folder. It keeps opening a folder if I pick a folder. How do I pick one? Does [enter] select the current folder or the highlighted one?

Btw, any plans to implement the export all DNG files into a single folder option? And setting ProRes quality?

EDIT: Completed export and I can't find my output. :( This is confusing...

baldand

Thanks all for the testing and detailed feedback about 1.4.0. It's very helpful.

@all, regarding the slowness when going towards the root directories. I will try to find a good solution that lets me limit the number of shown folders to just the relevant ones but without making the UI slow/unresponsive as it is now.

@MAVisuals, @kgv5 maybe it would help you to think of the browser as a temporary dialog on top of the viewer. The X (or BACKSPACE) key closes the browser and returns to the viewer. But when the app is launched without a file, when the browser closes without selection something, there is nothing to view, hence the app is closed. Maybe I can do something visually to make more explicit this kind of "mental model" for the UI.

@Danne, @feureau I agree the export folder is not so intuitive due to lack of a way to "choose" a final folder. In fact the model here is continuous choice - every time you navigate you have changed the folder, so when you close the browser with X or BACKSPACE, it is set to use the folder you were last viewing. In other words, there is no "cancel" option. This is sadly a bit opposite to the behaviour in the file choosing modes.

@Danne, sorry for the repeated failures with accented characters. I will try to fix it (again)

gohai

Hello @Baldand and all,

First: thanks for this tool, greatly appreciated!

I wanted to ask about a crash issue I am having with a 4.29 GB RAW file that I recorded with a 5D3.123, running the latest nightly from August 7. While all my other files work just fine this one crashed with the current MlRawViewer version at the time, and still with the latest (on OS X 10.9.4). Any way for me to make it work, things to try etc..?

Thanks
Gottfried

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libglfw3.dylib                0x00000001149e596f glfwSetWindowRefreshCallback + 79
1   _ctypes.so                    0x00000001129edfb7 ffi_call_unix64 + 79
2   _ctypes.so                    0x00000001129ee7e9 ffi_call + 821
3   _ctypes.so                    0x00000001129e9e2c _ctypes_callproc + 784
4   _ctypes.so                    0x00000001129e42c8 PyCFuncPtr_call + 1125
5   Python                        0x000000010eece018 PyObject_Call + 99
6   Python                        0x000000010ef4a90d PyEval_EvalFrameEx + 13138
7   Python                        0x000000010ef4742a PyEval_EvalCodeEx + 1608
8   Python                        0x000000010ef4dac8 fast_function + 295
9   Python                        0x000000010ef4a577 PyEval_EvalFrameEx + 12220
10  Python                        0x000000010ef4da61 fast_function + 192
11  Python                        0x000000010ef4a577 PyEval_EvalFrameEx + 12220
12  Python                        0x000000010ef4742a PyEval_EvalCodeEx + 1608
13  Python                        0x000000010eeebfcb function_call + 349
14  Python                        0x000000010eece018 PyObject_Call + 99
15  Python                        0x000000010ef4a27b PyEval_EvalFrameEx + 11456
16  Python                        0x000000010ef4742a PyEval_EvalCodeEx + 1608
17  Python                        0x000000010eeebfcb function_call + 349
18  Python                        0x000000010eece018 PyObject_Call + 99
19  Python                        0x000000010eed8ddd instancemethod_call + 174
20  Python                        0x000000010eece018 PyObject_Call + 99
21  Python                        0x000000010ef14da2 slot_tp_init + 64
22  Python                        0x000000010ef106fb type_call + 182
23  Python                        0x000000010eece018 PyObject_Call + 99
24  Python                        0x000000010ef4a90d PyEval_EvalFrameEx + 13138
25  Python                        0x000000010ef4da61 fast_function + 192
26  Python                        0x000000010ef4a577 PyEval_EvalFrameEx + 12220
27  Python                        0x000000010ef4742a PyEval_EvalCodeEx + 1608
28  Python                        0x000000010ef46ddc PyEval_EvalCode + 54
29  Python                        0x000000010ef66750 run_mod + 53
30  Python                        0x000000010ef6690d PyRun_StringFlags + 109
31  Python                        0x000000010ef66861 PyRun_SimpleStringFlags + 69
32  mlrawviewer                    0x000000010e422b2c 0x10e421000 + 6956
33  mlrawviewer                    0x000000010e436b78 0x10e421000 + 88952
34  mlrawviewer                    0x000000010e422454 0x10e421000 + 5204

gohai

Forgot to say: with "latest", I meant 1.3.3. This is also where the trace is taken from.

baldand

Quote from: gohai on November 05, 2014, 07:57:16 PM
Forgot to say: with "latest", I meant 1.3.3. This is also where the trace is taken from.

Could you test with 1.3.4 as well and verify it still happens there? That had some fixes for .RAW files.

chmee

kudos @baldand :D once again you realized a thing i wanted to code as well :)

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

swinxx

@baland:
the app is getting really big - in terms of features :)
would it be possible to adapt the dng meta tags for conforming with davinci resolve (audio and video files in one folder seen as one movie file)
that would be also a major step forward, davinci resolve is great and free. i think more and more peolpe will start working with that program... like me.
mlvfs is now compatible with resolve and now it is a breeze to work with those converted files.

the other thing is the 5dmk3 optimized vertical stripes correction code. i know that i have asked you before and i hope that you will implement it in one of the next updates.. sadly i have seen too many stripes in my last shots converted with mlrawviewer, with mlvfs all the stripes were gone, so i know that it could be optimized for 5d mk3 (a1ex told me he would help out)

best regards and thank you a lot. swinxx

baldand

Quote from: chmee on November 05, 2014, 08:26:32 PM
kudos @baldand :D once again you realized a thing i wanted to code as well :)
regards chmee

Thanks/Sorry!

Quote from: swinxx on November 05, 2014, 09:52:34 PM
mlvfs is now compatible with resolve and now it is a breeze to work with those converted files.
...with mlvfs all the stripes were gone

It's really great that MLVFS is doing such a good job with the MLV->DNG->Resolve/Premiere path.

I will probably recommend people to use that for DNG export rather than MlRawViewer, and instead try to focus on improving viewing/reviewing use cases, and maybe something else.

swinxx

@baland

sorry, i dont get it right.
why dont realize that resolve thing with mlrawviewer.. it exports dngs, so why it should not convert resolve conform dngs?
+1 for that

just my 2 cents
best wishes
swinxx

KurtAugust

1.4.0 on OS X Mavericks 10.9.2. Works well. Navigator makes life easier! I did need to switch to the readme file quite often to refresh stuff as it has been a while since I filmed in MLV. But it only takes 10 minutes to get used to the style of the GUI.

Anyway, most stuff works for now, except the C key (add all files in folder to render queue). Needed to switch back to 1.3.4 for that.
Nice that working with a new version doesn't reset export custom settings (prores 422 hq).

Only trouble with both versions are some broken mlv files (.mlv .m01 .m02 etc). No playblack, mrx creation going to 150 or 200% and playback hangs. But export to DNG works with them. EDIT: Today it does work. File browser makes it easy to add files to render queue manually. Love it! http://www.blog.kurtaugustyns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/mlrawviewer.jpg
Screenshot of the indexing at 200%

PS: File browser is an incredible and superfast tool to go through a day's rushes and e.g. picking out dual iso files. Thank you so much! And I thought you wouldn't be working on this for a while!

Edited to add data.
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog

gohai

swinxx

hello

@baland:

i opened the program, was in a strange folder..? which one is the root? i think where the program will be launched..
ok then i pushed some buttons.. suddenly there was no folder only the empty window..
and now every time i start mlrawviewer i have it opened without any folder structure in the window..?
puh. strange.
thx.