MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

togg

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on October 24, 2014, 09:12:30 PM
I ran into a similar situation regarding a black frame would pop out of nowhere on some of my .Mov exports whereas I know from the original raw file that there is no missing frames. I ran it twice or three times and I think the black frame would pop up in different timeframe in each export.

Hope this makes sense... But then again sometimes I won't get them.

Will do some more troubleshooting at work today in order to confirm this.

Which camera are you using and which operating system?
In my case the black/corrupted frames are already visible when whatching the RAW file via mlrawviewer.

TKez

@Andy600 thanks. I have a basic understanding of what log does, except the clog/logc ei stuff but thanks for laying it out for me. With regard to the exposure slider in Mlrv, it's a handy tool if exposure wasn't set properly when shooting but I try to make a point of not to using it. I also see the most efficient workflow being dragging a bunch of MLVs onto MLRV to batch them all with the current gamma curve which means no chance to mess with it per clip!
@baldand: any chance of drag and drop batch functionality coming soon?
Being able to fix WB is also nice, if we ever get quick look thumbnails we could identify any to leave out of the batch and add to the queue separately with tweaked WB.

My layman's view of the workflow concept is this. rec709 h264 out of the camera suffers 3 main issues.
1. Discarded detail and compression artifacts due to h.264
3. Major loss of chroma information due to 4:2:0
2. Highlight and shadow information beyond the white and black points are clipped and non recoverable

The prores 4444 codec fixes the first 2, and if the 14bits are scaled(compressed) down to 10bit (or 12 with XQ), that fixes #3. We loose some bits, but the gamma curve prioritises the most useful parts of the information so we retain more bits where we need them.
Of course if we view the entire sensor data compressed like this, it's going to look extremely flat, but we can use a 3d LUT to expand the range back to rec709 etc. to view it as it would have looked straight from the camera.
The important part being that this LUT be applied at the end of the processing pipeline so we still have all that highlight and shadow info to play with before it gets clipped again by the LUT.

The attractive thing about the visionLog curve is that the 3D output LUT could be one of their Osiris film LUTs and we don't need to go through another lossy input LUT step.

Am I on the right track here? The BMD color space fits in there somewhere but I'm not sure I understand where and why:)

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: togg on October 24, 2014, 11:32:50 PM

Which camera are you using and which operating system?
In my case the black/corrupted frames are already visible when whatching the RAW file via mlrawviewer.
This was from the 5D3... Mavericks 10.9.5... In my case it does not show any black/corrupted files in my viewer on MLRV 1.3.3.

Here's the reel to see how I feel...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

baldand

Good news. I've found the bug that was causing black frames in spanning RAW files. I wasn't correctly reassembling the frames cut across two files. Fix is now in git and will be included in 1.3.4 build in a few days.

DeafEyeJedi

budafilms

@Baldand

I´m using 5D III 1920x1080 25P and OSX

a)  - Is normal than version 1.2.3 export a Raw file in DNG files at 3Gb and version 1.3.3  just 1,3 GB?
I´ve note that each DNG before was 4,2 MB and now around 1.2 !

b) - If this is normal, Have I lost too much quality?

c) If this is normal, and the quality is the same, can I reduce all my DNGs - without RAW files - to the new compressed files?

Thanks!

togg

Quote from: baldand on October 25, 2014, 09:55:30 AM
Good news. I've found the bug that was causing black frames in spanning RAW files. I wasn't correctly reassembling the frames cut across two files. Fix is now in git and will be included in 1.3.4 build in a few days.

Great news!
Quote from: budafilms on October 25, 2014, 11:50:28 AM
@Baldand

a)  - Is normal than version 1.2.3 export a Raw file in DNG files at 3Gb and version 1.3.3  just 1,3 GB?

c) If this is normal, and the quality is the same, can I reduce all my DNGs - without RAW files - to the new compressed files?

Thanks!

1) yes, they're lossless dng.
2) none, it's a compression without loss of quality.
3) yes you can, I don't know if the best option is to use mlrawviewer again or some adobe product.

baldand

Quote from: budafilms on October 25, 2014, 11:50:28 AM
@Baldand

Thanks!

Lossless jpeg typically compresses to around 50-60% of the original (14bit) size. The old dng export was actually adding 2 bits per pixel (14 to 16) so the ratio is better compared to those.

Your numbers sound quite small, bit it depends on content. If you have lots of blurred/out of focus content, the compression will work better.

I wouldn't recommend deleting original RAW or MLV files. Later I hope that MLV will support also lossless jpeg for archiving.

baldand

MlRawViewer 1.3.4 now available

Get it from the downloads page: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads

This should behave almost the same as 1.3.3 with a couple of small changes:

- Fixes a bug with handling spanning RAW files. Previously frames spread across two files were treated as missing frames. They should now be reconstructured correctly.
- Adds a feature to hide the overlay. Press Shift-TAB to hide the overlay even while paused, and Shift-TAB again to show it.

kyrobb

You rock Baldand! Any chance MlRawViewer could display the chosen color temperature in degrees Kelvin with G/M shift in future builds? Obviously not a crucial addition but it could be very useful for some!

edge11

650d user here. Does this have Chromasoothing or any way to deal with the pink dot issue?
If not would it be possible to integrate it?

DeafEyeJedi

Currently rendering on MLRV 1.3.4 with 43 MLV's to .MOV's. Exported all with current setting 'press C' looking forward to the results as soon as I get back to work in the AM...

Thanks again @baldand for your eagerness w the updates!   :)

BTW -- 'shift-tab' is the $#!t! Love it!

baldand

Quote from: edge11 on October 27, 2014, 05:55:16 AM
650d user here. Does this have Chromasoothing or any way to deal with the pink dot issue?
If not would it be possible to integrate it?

There is a pre-processing step which can suppress some of the pink dots as part of the stripe correction.
However, it's not really fully suited to the needs of "pink dot cameras". It would really need a calibration step to train it with e.g. a defocused images, and then reuse that training data. At the moment it just tries to find that data from each scene. So, YMMV.

budafilms

@baldand

I was testing Silent Module in full Resolution. Just for fun, I use only video.
As I don't use Photoshop, the option in my Mac was open the file with MLviewer. And I think the possibility to add a jpeg exportation for one frame.
I'm not sure if this is very complicated. But open the possibility to edit with a lot of software. This MLV viewer pre processing is very usefull for photographers!

togg

hide the overlays is really useful, thanks :) I will test and hoping that bad frames are gone!

lexle

Hi baldand.

i wanted to let you know that now with the 1.3.3 everything is fine again and i don´t have black frames in there (so my MLVs are fine). Additionally to the black frames i couldn´t open some MLVs with the old version.
thanks for the good work!

77cats

feureau

Quote from: baldand on October 26, 2014, 10:39:33 PM

Get it from the downloads page: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads

This should behave almost the same as 1.3.3 with a couple of small changes:

- Fixes a bug with handling spanning RAW files. Previously frames spread across two files were treated as missing frames. They should now be reconstructured correctly.
- Adds a feature to hide the overlay. Press Shift-TAB to hide the overlay even while paused, and Shift-TAB again to show it.

Thank you very much! \o/

Btw, this is a bit out of the way, but would it have any performance advantage on 64 bit systems to run a 64 bit version of this? If it is, would be nice to have a 64 bit version of this too. :3

Thanks again

baldand

Quote from: feureau on October 28, 2014, 04:52:04 AM
Btw, this is a bit out of the way, but would it have any performance advantage on 64 bit systems to run a 64 bit version of this? If it is, would be nice to have a 64 bit version of this too. :3

I don't know for sure, but I somehow doubt it would make much difference performance-wise since most work is done on the GPU, and the only CPU heavy bit (HQ demosaicing) is mostly SSE code anyway.

Anyway, the source code is available from https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/overview so someone is welcome to try it out making a build with a 64bit python windows runtime and measure if there is any speed advantage.

DavidSh

Quote from: baldand on October 26, 2014, 10:39:33 PM

Thank you so much @Baldand for adding this feature so fast.
Works great.
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

stevethornton

baldand

Quote from: stevethornton on October 28, 2014, 02:51:36 PM
Where should I post a crash report?

Thanks!

ST

https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issues

Please provide as much detail as possible, including the mlrawviewer.log file and any system crash log.

TKez

Would it be easy to add a batch feature so we could drag multiple items and have them added to the queue with the current settings?

EDIT: and draggable to the dock icon swell as the window? XLD is a great utility for transcoding audio. i just drag a bunch of AIFFs on the dock icon and Apple Lossless versions magically pop up on my desktop. Same with Compressor droplets. Great for speedy workflows!

tuckertota

@TequilaKez If you press C, it will process all the MLV files in the same folder as the one you loaded.