MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbytheriver

Quoteanyone else seen a similar extreme performance regression with MOV encoding in 1.3.3

Rendering to .mov is about 2 x slower in 1.3.3 for me.

OSX 10.7.5
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

togg

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: baldand on October 19, 2014, 10:20:34 AM
I am not able to reproduce this. Can you do some more quantitative tests and give more information:

- Exact details of your computer and operating system, source and target disk types

- Version numbers you are comparing, e.g. 1.3.2 and 1.3.3 (don't change any other aspect of your setup when comparing results) currently comparing between 1.3.2 & 1.3.3
- Encoding settings, e.g. how many LUTs, mapping function (e.g. Log-8, C-Log), stripe correction on or off

- Time taken to encode with old version currently testing

- Time taken to encode same files with same settings with new version currently testing

It might be worth checking time taken both with and without stripe correction since that is a more complex processing pipeline. Also good to test with more than one source file.  Agreed. I am currently testing this since I felt that the stripe correction really takes a toll (which is normal) but as for me with 5D3/EOS-M I'm not really noticing any stripes issues except for the 7D that I use at work sometimes

THANKS @baldand!

Also: Has anyone else seen a similar extreme performance regression with MOV encoding in 1.3.3 compared to earlier versions?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DeafEyeJedi

@Baldand -- Thanks again for your PM regarding test for Mac. I ran it twice to make sure and deleted a bunch of empty .MLD files as well as empty DNG folders that were created by your app right before the crash. Perhaps there's something wrong with my macbook pro or could this be due to MLVFS latest update?

**Edit**
Test #2 (Frozen Exports)

I'll keep troubleshooting this down to figure out what is causing this app to NOT export either DNG's nor .MOV's...

All was fine until I updated the test app and then again on the original 1.3.3 (non-test) and still the export error persist.

Here's the CR from the Mac_Perf...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bksw9fqbrim83fb/CR_MlRawViewer_1.3.3_Mac_Perf.rtf?dl=0

SJ

DeafEyeJedi

**Interesting Facts**

Both started export (.MOV) at same time.

Top Left = MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (Mac_Perf Test)
Bottom Right = MlRawViewer 1.3.3

*Edit*
Approximate 10 minutes later...

DeafEyeJedi

togg

baldand

Quote from: togg on October 20, 2014, 01:03:11 PM
Silly question, where can I find 1.3.2?

Not silly. I deleted it from bitbucket already.

Why:

I have changed the development model recently so that there is a concurrent "stable" version and "testing" version.
The stable version (currently 1.2.3 - see the current title of the thread above ^) is the one I recommend people to use as it has had the most usage and has quite well known behaviour and features.
The testing version (currently 1.3.3) is the one which has more features but also more new bugs than the stable version. When I'm happy that the testing version is an improvement on the stable version, it will become the new stable version.
Each new minor version number indicates a new development series, which should hopefully finish with a stable version.
A consequence of this is that I don't want to leave multiple testing versions available for people. Either they should be using the latest stable version, or the latest testing version. Anything in between is likely to have more bugs.

At the moment I'm hoping 1.3.3 will become the new stable version soon.

baldand

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on October 20, 2014, 07:27:34 AM
An hour and 28 minutes later...

@DeafEyeJedi thanks for checking this out, but at the moment I haven't seen any clear evidence of a problem. @timbytheriver confirmed that his system was working fine, and there have been no other reports of a similar issue yet. By clear report I would expect you to write something like "1.3.2 export took 20 minutes, 1.3.3 export same settings took 60 minutes, 1.3.3 testing export same settings took 60 minutes". The screenshots are not so helpful.

By the way, I don't recommend you do concurrent exports from 2 instances of MlRawViewer. They will be competing for all the resources of your system and the result is likely to be slower than running 2 exports in sequence.

baldavenger

Would it be possible to get access to the 1D Luts for Linear to Log-C, C-Log, S-log, and S-log2? AFAIK they are not included in the separate Lut download.  Would be very useful for compatibility tests.

Thank you  :)
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

DeafEyeJedi

@baldand -- okay that makes perfect sense and funny thing is the fact that I felt strange during the rendering last night about this exact point you just pointed out but I was already more than halfway through so that'll make me even more idiotic. However, Thanks for your clarification and would definitely suspect this is all due to my old sluggish macbook pro (according to my spec that you saw from earlier) but will also gladly continue to do some more testings on the mac_perf version and let you know the final results with actual facts.

Since I am on the road for a shoot so I will probably get this back to you by tomorrow late evening, if not later.

Thanks again for your kindness.

SJ

baldand

Quote from: baldavenger on October 21, 2014, 05:29:59 AM
Would it be possible to get access to the 1D Luts for Linear to Log-C, C-Log, S-log, and S-log2? AFAIK they are not included in the separate Lut download.  Would be very useful for compatibility tests.

Thank you  :)

I updated the LUT zip now:

https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_LUTS_1_1.zip

DeafEyeJedi

@baldand -- thanks for the update on the LUT.zip. Do I need to reinstall all of LUT's that I use or would it still be in the system from the previous version?

Edit:

Nevermind on that. It was all still in there plus the new added ones as well. Sweet stuff. Now I may have notice another possible bug...

baldand

Those 1D LUTs are all built in. You don't need to import or update them in MlRawViewer. The zip is only for reference to have same the LUTs available as .cube files.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: baldand on October 21, 2014, 07:34:24 AM
Those 1D LUTs are all built in. You don't need to import or update them in MlRawViewer. The zip is only for reference to have same the LUTs available as .cube files.

Figured. Thanks again!

**Edit:

When exporting DNG's that were converted by MLFVS together with @Danne's Cr2hdr-r app which produced 1.7MB DNG files, for some reason it will not allow me to export either .MOV or .DNG's -- I can play and check out the LUT's but once I click export -- it just stays on 0.00% for good until I cancel the process.

Also once I cancel a .DNG export -- it produced an empty folder in my file system. Could this be the issue related to this so called bug? Also I tried to export as .MOV & .DNG with a regular .MLV footage which works fine and the percentage ticks in right away whereas the other didn't.

I ran into this last night as well but somehow I managed to get around it and Im not quite sure how I did it. I'll try looking for some more empty folders...

Danne

Isn,t that a problem from when trying to export(mov or dng) files that origins from the mlvfs mount? I had those problems last I tried using Mlrawviewer together with mlvfs. What happens if you export the dngs outside mlvfs mount?
Will check your fine updates soon Andrew. Cool stuff!

lexle

Hi there.
I have a project where i started to use the exported MOV files for the animatic. I exported it with an older version.
Now i want to export my mlv files to .DNGs but i keep getting black frames exported, which i didn´t get weeksa ago with the old version.
I tried it both ways (drop frames - show all frames). Since i don´t need more settings than just the export, do you have an older version of this app still online?

thx

baldand

See the downloads page: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads

Do you see all black frames or just additional frames? Drop frame setting does not apply to export.

lexle

i tried it now with an older build but the same problem. i just realised its the problem with the dngs. i exported the mov file and it was fine. with the dng sequence i geht some flickering black frames. i ran the export on the ssd because at first i thought maybe the hdd is to slow. hm

glucas

Hi Badland
Congratulations for this great tool. it is really very useful!!
Would it be possible assign a shortcut to a LUT (1d + 3d) to apply it to other MLV?
(like now the shortcuts  H & G)

g.
5D MKIII - 5D MkII - 550D - C-100

baldavenger

EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

togg

Would it be possible to have the choice to have the mrx files not created or created all in a specific directory? If I've get it right they are for having options saved, I don't really need them and they give a messy look to all the folders :)

Everything else feels good.

baldand

Quote from: togg on October 21, 2014, 07:00:39 PM
Would it be possible to have the choice to have the mrx files not created or created all in a specific directory? If I've get it right they are for having options saved, I don't really need them and they give a messy look to all the folders :)

Everything else feels good.

Sorry, but I don't think that is going to change.

DeafEyeJedi

@Baldand -- here's the follow up to the recent test regarding .MOV exports comparison with 1.3.3/1.3.3_Mac_Perf

Not sure if this is a real factor but if it helps by seconds then I suppose the test app does help a bit on Mac's?

1.3.3_Mac_Perf:

1.3.3:

Conclusion:
Regarding my situation from earlier is obviously a hardware issue with my MBP. Glad it's still working strong since 2006 but apparently not strong enough for this type of post work.  :-\

I'll just do the heavy renderings at work on their new Mac Pro... it's pretty quick. Lighting quick actually...

Appreciate your hardwork on this remarkable app, as always!

timbytheriver

Can somebody shed some light about the correct stacking of Curves and LUTs in MlRaw viewer?

I've been having success on a certain .raw clip with:

Curve: Linear
1D LUT: Linear to Log 9
3D LUT: Kodak Vision3 (for Log)

But then I notice that say @DeafEyeJedi example has a different LUT order. Is there a 'right' way to do this for MlRawViewer

Thanks!

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2