MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinxx

there is a readme file within the app, just check all the shortcuts there.  :)

naokileesw

Hi all! Posting for the first time here.

MlRawViewer is definitely what I've been looking for and the easiest software I've come across for processing RAW video files. I just have a question on the exported files and hopefully someone could guide me to the right direction.

I'm using:
MlRawViewer 1.2.3
Mac OS 10.9.4 -New Mac Pro
MLV files from EOS M

Everything looks great in the MlRawViewer. The "pink dot" is gone and everything looks smooth. Even footage that's been squeezed looks wonderful. But when I export the files to either DNG or MOV, they all look exactly like the original files, pink dots and squeezed and all. Exposure and color change are exported correctly, but.... Have I miss something?

Any help will be great!! I've been using ML for only about two months, but this has been the BEST!!

Metsadah

For me this app would be perfect if it came with a more standard decent UI. Where I could transcode a bunch of MLV's directly to prores based on one whitebalance correction etc.

kyrobb

It seems to not handle squeezed footage properly yet, but that's just my observation.

kyrobb

I'm getting pink/magenta highlights on 50D footage. Is this an MLRawViewer issue or more likely a 50D black level issue? I'm also curious, would a highlight recovery tool, like the one in ACR, be at all possible?

arrinkiiii

I have got that problem in my highlights to (7D). But i just see it on the MlRawViewer, after render and open the dng's files is not there.

naokileesw

Maybe it's an EOS M thing. But I have the opposite thing happening. I can make the dots go away in MLRawViewer, but comes back when I render them out in either MOV/DNG.

baldand

Quote from: naokileesw on September 17, 2014, 04:16:44 PM
Maybe it's an EOS M thing. But I have the opposite thing happening. I can make the dots go away in MLRawViewer, but comes back when I render them out in either MOV/DNG.

Pink dot removing is not a very mature feature, it shouldn't behave the way you are seeing.

Some questions:
1. Do you have the stripe removing turned on - there should be an icon with vertical stripes and an X through it. If there's no X, click to enable it otherwise no there is pink dot removal in use.

2. If the X is on, do you see the dots when paused, or if you click the quality icon or press Q to enable CPU demosaicing? That's the same mode used for exporting.

baldand

Quote from: kyrobb on September 16, 2014, 01:37:38 AM
It seems to not handle squeezed footage properly yet, but that's just my observation.

ATM it's only for viewing. I don't have a good way to do anything sensible in export that would be non-destructive.

Quote from: kyrobb on September 17, 2014, 05:12:35 AM
I'm getting pink/magenta highlights on 50D footage. Is this an MLRawViewer issue or more likely a 50D black level issue? I'm also curious, would a highlight recovery tool, like the one in ACR, be at all possible?

It is doing some highlight recovery (apart from when exporting DNGs), it's just not very advanced.

Is this with playback only, DNG or MOV export, or all?

Can you provide me one sample DNG?

kyrobb

Looks like the pink is showing up around the edges of clipped areas, in MlRawViewer Playback, as well as both exported DNGs and MOVs. Should I send you a DNG?

felbingerfilms

Hello,

I have used MlRawViewer for a few months to convert my raw video files.

The program itself work great, but i was wondering if there is any way to record ProRes straight in the camera (5D3).

I have seen that MlRawViewer used ffmpeg as a sort of open source ProRes codec.

The BMPCC records prores and raw on board, and i am wondering if there is a way to have the 5d (or other cameras) do the same.

Would it be feasible to use the ffmpeg open source codec to do this?

Thanks,
Tim
5D mark 3 - T5i

dmilligan

For realtime video encoding, codecs must be implemented in hardware. If it was as simple as putting ffmpeg on the camera, somebody would have done it a long time ago.

felbingerfilms

Quote from: dmilligan on September 19, 2014, 08:39:32 PM
For realtime video encoding, codecs must be implemented in hardware. If it was as simple as putting ffmpeg on the camera, somebody would have done it a long time ago.

What do mean with implemented into hardware?
5D mark 3 - T5i

dmilligan

The CPU is too slow and generalized to be able to handle the processing load required of encoding or decoding video streams in realtime. To implement encoders then, there must be specialized hardware available that does the encoding that is optimized for the particular task (sort of like how your computer has a GPU which is specialized hardware to do graphics rendering, the CPU would be too slow to do this). Almost all embedded devices use specialized hardware to do any particular processing intensive tasks that they have to do, and the CPU itself is just sort of a supervisor. This is exactly how your camera is, almost all of the image processing is done in specialized hardware.  There is specialized hardware in the camera for h246 and jpeg, (and other things like demosaicing, curves, pic styles, etc), but there is no hardware to encode "ProRes" or any other video codec. So your only options for video encoding are the built-in ones or no processing at all (raw).

senzazn12

Is there a way you can implement some highlight recovery or shadow lift in MLVRAWVIEWER? Wonder what some of you all are doing for highlight recovery/shadows when using this tool since I'm used to ACR.

kyrobb

It's already doing some highlight recovery, and you can lift shadows with the built in Log LUTs.

naokileesw

Quote from: baldand on September 17, 2014, 06:20:28 PM
Pink dot removing is not a very mature feature, it shouldn't behave the way you are seeing.

Some questions:
1. Do you have the stripe removing turned on - there should be an icon with vertical stripes and an X through it. If there's no X, click to enable it otherwise no there is pink dot removal in use.

2. If the X is on, do you see the dots when paused, or if you click the quality icon or press Q to enable CPU demosaicing? That's the same mode used for exporting.

Hey baldand,

Yes, the vertical stripes have an X through it and everything looks fine within the viewer, no dots at all. The dots are never visible when X is on, even when I pause or enable/disable CPU de-mosacing. It's just really strange... I understand it should be exporting how I see it within the viewer and everything is fine except for the dots...

dfgh

Hey,

when exporting from mlrawviewer the program will get so far and then freeze and I have to manually quit the program. It's only just started doing this. Any ideas (other than "reinstalling" the program i.e unzipping and replacing because I've tried that) It does this about about 8 out of ten attempts. If I keep trying it I will eventually get an export after many failings of the same raw at varying export percentages.

aace

Quote from: dfgh on September 24, 2014, 01:15:49 PM
Hey,

when exporting from mlrawviewer the program will get so far and then freeze and I have to manually quit the program. It's only just started doing this. Any ideas (other than "reinstalling" the program i.e unzipping and replacing because I've tried that) It does this about about 8 out of ten attempts. If I keep trying it I will eventually get an export after many failings of the same raw at varying export percentages.

I have the same issues. It seems to occur when I leave my laptop running and come back to it after a while of converting. The only thing that seems to resolve this issue for me is to come back to my laptop periodically and keep my hard drive spinning. Not sure if this will help you but it might.

baldand

@aace, @dfgh

Thanks for the reports. More info that could help:

- Mac or Windows? OS version?
- What GPU? RAM? SSD or HD?
- Log file. Look for the (hidden) ".mlrawviewer" directory in your user home directory. Within that should be an "mlrawviwer.log" file. Please send it to me.

Thanks in advance, and sorry about the troubles!

[edit] Oh, and after finding the log file and sending it to me, you can try deleting or renaming the whole ".mlrawviewer" folder. That should set the program back as if it had just been installed freshly.

baldand

Update on next MlRawViewer version

I've been working on a few things for the next version of MlRawViewer, due as a binary 1.3.0 release "soon". I just wanted to give a little heads about what's coming (no surprises if you've been following my tweets):

- Some new curves, SLog, SLog2, Log-C & C-Log contributed by @ToS_Maverick
- Live RGB histogram while playing
- Improved CDNG playback support: 12bit DNGs, compressed DNGs (should work with Odyssey7Q & BMPCC CDNGs)
- Compressed DNG exporting, possibly including 12bit+linearisation "near lossless" mode.

I know lots of people have probably moved onto using MLVFS for their DNG conversion needs by now, but perhaps a few of you will still find these features of some use.

After the 1.3.x release series stabilises (might take a few updates), I will probably take a break from working on any major new features for MlRawViewer, and instead look at some different things. Since there are no other primary contributors to the project right now, I expect there will only be bug fix releases for a while.

Danne

Andrew, that is some really fine new features. I, and I think a lot of people use this app a lot. For me, working with raw format this is the only app I use. Mlvfs is for mlv files for now. All log conversions dng, to mov etc are phenomenal in mlrawviewer. The speed and flexibility is amazing. Your work on this is beautiful.

swinxx

Hello baland!
Great to see a new update of the greatest mlv player/converter available.
I dont think that many people switched to another player (mlvfs) cause there are some drawbacks like:
no strip correction yet, or
no hot pixel or
no chroma smoothing, ect.

Your player is the best - because of
In out points,
Multiple files conversion,
Lut support
Preview funcion
And so on...

If you decide to switch to other projects i wish you all the best.
All in all It is bad that no more contributors jumped in the boat lately.
I would contribute:
- Ofx support or some kind of noise reduction ;)
- A window (not windows ;)) based browser
- Retina display support (macbook pro) of the browser window and the mlvrv environment (icons ect)

sadly i am just a user with no code skills
Perhaps other well skilled guys have some spare time to bring it to the next level. To be honest, i hardly believe that others could do that except you ;)

Best wishes swinxx

Frank7D

Just want to say that I use MLVFS, but mlrawviewer is still my go-to program for quick review of footage.

KurtAugust

Baldand,
Thank you for developing this. But I really don't think mlrawviewer is any bit less cool than mlvs and I hope you will still feel like updating it once in a while.
Every tool has its place!
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog