MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinxx

hello folks!

@midphase, @baland: havent tested the new version yet but a gui improvement would be fantastic. i could probably help with gui design if it is needed :)

greets. sw

Francis Frenkel

Quote from: Jbowdach on August 13, 2014, 06:25:50 AM
I put together a quick article documenting my workflow using MLRawViewer.  Should help those just getting started and want a quick walkthrough. Hope it helps!

http://bit.ly/mlraw2pr

great ! thanks a lot !

Francis
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

baldand

Quote from: Midphase on August 13, 2014, 07:50:59 AM
As MLRawViewer has continued to expand its functionality and options, IMHO it has also become somewhat challenging to use without referring to the text instructions for key shortcuts and the meaning of the various icons.

Is it perhaps time that MLRawViewer gain a proper GUI with an actual file browser, and easy to use checkboxes for the various options? I'm just raising the question because as much as I appreciate all of the work that has gone into it, I find myself still somewhat intimidated by its usage as anything other than an easy way to playback my footage.

I hope that you don't find this request insulting or improper, I really think MLRawViewer is a fantastic little app, but as much as I enjoy alternative UI's for some things (Red Giant products for example), I find myself wishing that MLRawViewer would move toward the type of GUI standards that ultimately just work.

Thanks for the constructive feedback.

The way to proceed here is for you or others to make as specific as possible proposals - and in the case of the UI please give examples or screenshots as well as descriptions - either to existing or new enhancement requests on the issue list.

Re the file browser, I would appreciate people writing comments to the existing enhancement request describing how they would like this to work - should it be another separate view in the app, or a pane, or an embedded overlay?

Checkboxes is a new one. Where should they be, and how should they look & behave - on a hidden window that appears when you hover somewhere, or when you click a button? Please make an enhancement request.

For the "intimidating" things, you can also post those as (usability) "issues", again, explaining the problem from your point of view - no need to describe a solution.

I cannot promise to implement anything in the enhancements list, but I do use it as a guide when deciding what, if anything, to work on next.

Issues list: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issues?status=new&status=open

swinxx

@baland

would it be possible to make the mouse pointer (when moved to the app) always on top of mlrawviewer..
cause it disappears.
i´m working with mac osx 10.9

thx.

baldand

Quote from: swinxx on August 13, 2014, 04:50:43 PM
@baland

would it be possible to make the mouse pointer (when moved to the app) always on top of mlrawviewer..
cause it disappears.

thx.

Could you post a bug (issue) report for that, thanks! https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issues?status=new&status=open

N/A

Quote from: swinxx on August 13, 2014, 04:50:43 PM
@baland

cause it disappears.

thx.
Same thing here, have to toggle the full-screen option on and off to fix it.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Danne

Compared several dual iso movie clips converted to prores through adobe camera raw and after effects CS 6 and came to the conclusion that acr causes flicker without even touching the sliders. MLrawviewer exports the same sequences beautifully.
*Davinci resolve 10 lite also has the flicker so it seems it comes from the conversion to dng from dual iso dng:s. Somehow it works with Mlrawviewer??

togg

Quote from: baldand on August 08, 2014, 06:48:12 AM
MlRawViewer has two different data paths for converting into DNG. In both cases a DNG container is created with tags extracted from the source file metadata.
1. When stripe reduction is NOT in use, the source raw data is copied and, if needed, padded to 16bit values with zero bits. In addition, (bad) pixels with zero value are hidden with surrounding data. This path should have very minimal impact on the data.
2. When stripe reduction IS in use, the data is loaded to the GPU and 3 shaders are run to estimate and correct any stripe patterns in the data due to different amplifier settings, as well as hot pixels. The result is written out as 16bit values. This path can touch all pixel values, but is intended not to cause an overall visible change in the image, other than reducing stripes and spots.

Thanks for the explenation. This feature can be a game changer, I will try to understand if the extra process time and the overall quality are accetable.

oc_masta

I can't get v1.2.2 to output. I click on record and reaches less than 1% where it just stops and freezes up.
anyone else getting this?

baldand

Quote from: oc_masta on August 16, 2014, 12:15:06 AM
I can't get v1.2.2 to output. I click on record and reaches less than 1% where it just stops and freezes up.
anyone else getting this?
In 1.2.2, the export queue processing is on by default.
That means you should only need to click the plus button to add something to the queue.
If you click the record icon, it will go pause the processing - clicking again will continue.

The use case here is that if you want to export one thing, just click plus and wait.

But if you want to queue many things without the ui slowing down, you can pause the processing, add all the export items, and then start the processing and wait.

budafilms

I found something in OSX.

- You can't type to find a file, when the dialog appears to open files.
- The box dialog it's always back to all your windows (The last program you open always goes to front).

Thanks!

baldand

Quote from: budafilms on August 16, 2014, 06:55:46 AM
I found something in OSX.

- You can't type to find a file, when the dialog appears to open files.
- The box dialog it's always back to all your windows (The last program you open always goes to front).

Thanks!

I don't quite understand the first issue. Can you explain a bit more?

The issue with the file dialog appearing behind the main window is known, but I have no idea right now how to solve it. Basically, the OS is making a stacking order mistake here (because the dialog is launched by a separate process to the main UI) and I have no programming API easily available to me to fix it.

budafilms

Quote from: baldand on August 16, 2014, 09:16:29 AM
I don't quite understand the first issue. Can you explain a bit more?

When you open your application, appears a box dialog to open the file.
That dialog box include up to your right, an spotlight to find a file that you don't remember where it is.
That spotlight doesn't work.

I can't insert an image in this site, I left it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/foq9ekz60o3qu9s/box.tiff

swinxx

@baland

i have created some issues which i came over at version 1.2.2

1. mouse pointer disappears.. (i wrote that in another post)
2. aspect ratio is wrong when a.) resizing the window to very big one, b.) going to fullsize (tab)

but the most problematic one is this one:
3. pink highlights in davinci resolve 11
the interesting thing: material which is converted with rawmagic is working fine.

thx sw

ItsMeLenny

Hey Baldand,

I just want to retype what I typed in IRC as you weren't around, and this way there's a more static copy.

In regards to black magic cameras and the way they shoot raw. And in this case the "Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera".

It shoots a DNG sequence with a WAV file. The DNGs are 1952x1112 (reported as 1920x1080 on the site).
They are 12 bits, which is where the error comes about in MlRawViewer:  raise IOError # Only support 14 or 16 bitsPerSample
It does print out info on the file:

FPS:24.0 (24, 1)
brightness8.57418770029
Black level:256
White level:51080
BitsPerSample:12

Unsupported BitsPerSample =  12 (should be 14 or 16)
Which my friend claims he did shoot it at 24fps.

In addition the file naming scheme for one file follows:
For the wav:
name_C0000.wav
For the dngs:
name_C0000_000000.dng
name_C0000_000001.dng
name_C0000_000002.dng
name_C0000_000003.dng
and so on.

cinema5D

In reply to your PM:
Yes the app still crashes randomly and the pointer is still not there in version 1.2.2 on my iMac 13,2 3.2GHZ with GTX 680MX

Also the "log" doesn't look right. It's all pink and too bright. It has to be changed to represent something like the BMCC's log which is more accurate for color correction and appropriate for this kind of sensor.
Also if you continue work on this app please make text when mouseovering over the symbols so people can learn what they mean.

Thanks for your work. I put a link in our guide: LINK

baldand

Quote from: cinema5D on August 17, 2014, 04:10:44 PM
In reply to your PM:
Yes the app still crashes randomly and the pointer is still not there in version 1.2.2 on my iMac 13,2 3.2GHZ with GTX 680MX

Ok, this really sounds like something new. I definitely need to get both the app's log file from the $USER\.lrawviewer\mlrawviewer.log, and also the OS crash information. I assume you are using recent OS X - e.g. 10.9.4?

Also the "log" doesn't look right. It's all pink and too bright. It has to be changed to represent something like the BMCC's log which is more accurate for color correction and appropriate for this kind of sensor.

The log curve is quite bright - it is just a pure log function without any S-curve. But your description of it being pink makes me wonder what exactly you are seeing, because there should not be any colour cast coming from the Log mode. Do you only see pink in Log - does colour from the other tone map functions look correct?

Also if you continue work on this app please make text when mouseovering over the symbols so people can learn what they mean.

There is an existing enhancement request for this. Please vote for it: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issue/47/tool-tips

Thanks for your work. I put a link in our guide: LINK

Thanks for updating the link to the latest version.

frenchps49

QuoteThe log curve is quite bright - it is just a pure log function without any S-curve. But your description of it being pink makes me wonder what exactly you are seeing, because there should not be any colour cast coming from the Log mode. Do you only see pink in Log - does colour from the other tone map functions look correct?

I thought I was the only one to see this. Yes, Log is not right (pinkish cast). It used to be but it went wrong in recent versionS. And the others (sRGB etc.) look correct.

baldand

Quote from: frenchps49 on August 17, 2014, 09:21:28 PM
I thought I was the only one to see this. Yes, Log is not right (pinkish cast). It used to be but it went wrong in recent versionS. And the others (sRGB etc.) look correct.

Can you give some details about your computer, OS version and GPU - maybe a screenshot of difference between old/working and new/broken log output with same frame, and if possible version number when it broke. Thanks!

Danne

Hi Andrew! I had something similar getting pink cast in the latest version. Especially when lowering highlights with dual iso dng,s. Have not compared with older versions. I sent you a sprendpackage with files. Don,t know if you can reproducue the issue. I,m on a macbook pro 12 inch OSX mavericks Nvidia 750.
Thanks.
//D

csound

Full screen is mode is cropping the image & log does seem excessively bright.  Great app though!  :)

poromaa

Hi!
Have some issues with exporting DNG from external drive with hot-pixel-removal on. Made a bug report but could not find a crash log .mlrawviewer.log file (my directory only has other log files describing directory output and versions) https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issue/90/dng-export-crash-w-spot-vertical-stripe

Workaround: move directory for conversion to local disk.
Really like the hot-pixel removal! Great job!

zacshome

Is it possible to use the .mov files as proxies to relink into resolve now?

ToS_Maverick

Hey Guys, nice to see you here!

I don't have any color-cast issues on my Hackintosh at all (after setting WB, but I assume you did that).
Specs are i5 3570k, GTX570 TI, 16 GB RAM

Regarding the log curve contrast I have the following proposal:

or in Derive notation:
y = LOG((x + 2^(14 - z))/2^(14 - z), 2)*(1024/z)

"z" describes the amount of DR you want to map logarythmically into the picture. Don't know if that is a proper sentence, but I hope you know what I mean ;)

Currently it's at 10, which brings 0 EV / 18 % grey in at 60 %. 7,8 should bring it to 50 % and 6,2 to 40.
From my PoV 8 stops of DR should be sufficient, since the Canon cameras are quite noisy in the shadows anyway.

If you would need more DR, the HDR curve is quite nice as well and, if exposure is adjusted, looks similar to Adobe Camera RAW's gamma.
You need to expand the highlights a bit, but that's a quick fix...

KurtAugust

I absolutely love the program. If only because audio becomes so much easier. And I prefer the color processing to Resolve. Would it be possible to also have a Prores 422 output setting? I love the debayering, but I seem to get more color noise at higher iso's than files processed with ACR (or am I doing something wrong). We could use 422 for offline editing.

For me personally, even if it still has some quirks, this is a huge step in the whole ML development. Thank you!
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog