MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

optik

Quote from: optik on May 19, 2014, 07:22:21 PM
Hi Baland

Here is my issue, I some how lost functionality on export I've been using MlRawViewer since the first version and always use the E key to export I understand the new changes that were made in
MlRawViewer 1.1.5 like making sure to click the red button then press the E for export and it was working fine for about 10-15 few clips but now I get no response when trying it out any suggestions would be awesome. Ive re-downloaded MlRawViewer older 1.1.4 and get the same thing  :-\

Anyone  :-[ I have went all the way back to 1.1.0 and still getting the same thing all buttons and functions seem to work except when I go to export it does nothing really appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction as this is extremely frustrating and annoying since I have used the app many times with no such problem. The only thing that I could think that happened was something got broke when I updated to 10.9.3 would love to hear feedback if anyone has it working under 10.9.3  However MLV Dumper v1.0 works fine :-\
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 24-105mm F4, Canon 50mm F1.4, Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 AI-s, Tokina AT-X 16-28mm F2.8 Pro FX, 2 Lexar 1000x 64GB, Kumputer Bay 1000x 64GB, FCPX, Nuke, Modo, AE,
DaVinci

Johannes

Hey Guys,

at first thanks to the mlv create directory option.

I have since vers. 1.1.4 strange things with the Prores Codec.

with 1.1.3 fine   with 1.1.5 fine with dng 

but 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 ProRes green, blue and some red dots in the shadows.

longer rendertime - more blue also in the midtones.

strange for me.

fascina

Did I unterstand it right that MlRawViewer does support MLV to DNG conversion for single files, but no batch conversion for several files?

So "MLV to DNG Batch Converter" and "MLV BrowseSharp" are the only Windows GUIs available for converting several MLV files to DNGs, right?

baldand

Quote from: fascina on May 26, 2014, 10:46:22 PM
Did I unterstand it right that MlRawViewer does support MLV to DNG conversion for single files, but no batch conversion for several files?

So "MLV to DNG Batch Converter" and "MLV BrowseSharp" are the only Windows GUIs available for converting several MLV files to DNGs, right?

No, you didn't understand it quite right.

MlRawViewer has an export queue to which you can add many jobs (using E key), either for DNG or MOV exports, even different sections from the same file. Then you can independently control starting or pausing execution of the queue (using Y key of circle icon).

baldand

MlRawViewer 1.1.6

You can now get MlRawViewer 1.1.6 packages for Mac and Windows from bitbucket:

Mac: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_1_6_mac.dmg
Win: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_1_6_win32.zip

Hopefully there will be no more crashes when using any of the file selection dialogs.
In addition, if the current target directory seems to be invalid, it will ask you for a new one.

I've added an icon - the "+" is the same as the E key for adding the current clip to the export queue. The red circle is used to start and pause the export queue.

Finally, there is one (big) experimental feature which I would be interested to hear feedback about.

If you press the 0 (zero) key, a GPU preprocessing pass will be enabled. This is used for display, and also when exporting DNGs or MOVs if it is enabled when you add to the queue.

Currently, the preprocessing attempts to suppress stripes and any "bad pixels" (hot, cold, or other use such as focusing) it can identify.
For those cameras with pink dots, it may be able to get rid of some of them without the need for chroma smoothing.

In later versions, it may also be able to do some kind of noise reduction.

swinxx

whow that sounds so great thank you very much..
i wonder if mlrawviewer also support vertical stripe correction?

thx

Johannes

simply same prob with 1.1.6

but not when I use LOG gamma curve. others I didnt tried.

What ProRes Codec is it 444 or...?

Here how my problem look like..:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bzm-dWxWHoKWR2pLN3ROTUJmUkE&usp=sharing

Danne

Oboy is this welcome :)
I immidietaley had a problem with audio. When going through clips with k and J key and starting jumping looking through the clips adding to queue etc quite often I don,t get at preview with audio throughout the whole clip. It extracts the whole audiofile but the viewer doesn,t seem to recognize the whole audio part. SOmetimes it works, sometimes it doesn,t. It stops in the middle or at the end. It does, however exports the clip with the audio even though it can,t be heard so its a preview thing. Compared It to version 1.5, and the problem starts with version 1.6. 1.5 previews audio fine.
I ran three different .MLV files of different length on a macbook pro retina 15, OSX mavericks, 5d mark 3.
Thanks for your good work

baldand

Quote from: swinxx on May 27, 2014, 12:27:25 AM
whow that sounds so great thank you very much..
i wonder if mlrawviewer also support vertical stripe correction?

thx

Yes, the (experimental) preprocessing affects both vertical and horizontal stripes.

baldand

Quote from: Johannes on May 27, 2014, 12:49:00 AM
simply same prob with 1.1.6

but not when I use LOG gamma curve. others I didnt tried.

What ProRes Codec is it 444 or...?

Here how my problem look like..:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bzm-dWxWHoKWR2pLN3ROTUJmUkE&usp=sharing

What camera do you use?

What OS?

What kind of GPU do you have?

baldand

Quote from: Danne on May 27, 2014, 01:44:57 AM
Oboy is this welcome :)
I immidietaley had a problem with audio. When going through clips with k and J key and starting jumping looking through the clips adding to queue etc quite often I don,t get at preview with audio throughout the whole clip. It extracts the whole audiofile but the viewer doesn,t seem to recognize the whole audio part. SOmetimes it works, sometimes it doesn,t. It stops in the middle or at the end. It does, however exports the clip with the audio even though it can,t be heard so its a preview thing. Compared It to version 1.5, and the problem starts with version 1.6. 1.5 previews audio fine.
I ran three different .MLV files of different length on a macbook pro retina 15, OSX mavericks, 5d mark 3.
Thanks for your good work

Cannot reproduce yet, but I will look into this.

Danne

Hi Baldand.
Since the .mlv clips I tested with used an older ml version I tried film a bunch of new .mlv clips with a newer firmware. With the newer build on my  canon 5d mark 3 firmware 1.1.3 I couldn,t reproduce the audio problem. Everything worked fine. It seems be related to older builds or something else must have corrupted the clips.
Have not tested everything yet but exposure changes working again. Awesome :).
massive thanks on this one!

pc_bel

Just a simple test if it can help.
For me vertical stripes correction doesn't work. First image is from 1.5 and second from 1.6. Same vertical stripes in both.

Anyway, the rest of the improvements are great!!!

Thanks.
5Dmk3 1.1.3 KomputerBay 1000x 64Gb Nightly 6 may 2014

baldand

Quote from: pc_bel on May 27, 2014, 10:24:48 AM
Just a simple test if it can help.
For me vertical stripes correction doesn't work. First image is from 1.5 and second from 1.6. Same vertical stripes in both.

Anyway, the rest of the improvements are great!!!

Thanks.
5Dmk3 1.1.3 KomputerBay 1000x 64Gb Nightly 6 may 2014
Silly question, but did you turn on the correction by pressing the zero key? Did you see any difference on screen when you toggled it on and off?

pc_bel

Not a silly question... Not as silly as me!!!!

Now pressing 0 before export:

Not completely gonne, but much better!!!... Image is adjusted for a bad scenario, and the results are much better than before with 1.5

Thanks for the answer and sorry for the mistake.

swinxx

baldand

Quote from: swinxx on May 27, 2014, 02:53:03 PM
Ah, so it only corrects if gpu is working??

It's optional - zero key switches it on and off. It's off by default so you need to switch it on if you want it.

swinxx

Would it be possible to implement it as always on? Is there a scenario where i dont want to correct the stripes vert/horiz?

baldand

Quote from: swinxx on May 27, 2014, 03:46:33 PM
Would it be possible to implement it as always on? Is there a scenario where i dont want to correct the stripes vert/horiz?

In a later release the setting will become persistent, so once you turn it on it stays in. But first I want hear enough reports of it working OK, or not.

By the way, in case anyone is curious: The stripe correction is calculated (By the GPU) freshly for every frame, so it should handle the pattern changing over time, e.g. in a long clip.

baldand

Quote from: pc_bel on May 27, 2014, 11:24:41 AM
Not a silly question... Not as silly as me!!!!
No
Now pressing 0 before export:

Not completely gonne, but much better!!!... Image is adjusted for a bad scenario, and the results are much better than before with 1.5

Thanks for the answer and sorry for the mistake.

Is there any chance you could provide me the MLV or a DNG (with preprocessing turned off) from that shot so I can see if the algorithm can be tweaked for better results?

Jbowdach

The new GPU features are awesome!!! Def will be trying that on any line shots I have,

my apologies if this was asked,  but is ther any way to add the filename of the MLV as a reel\tape name metadata to the Proxies? That would make the round tripping process significantly easier, and I wouldn't need to make my proxies in Resolve (as it adds that metadata, which really helps ensure the return part of the round trip is easy). Is this something that can be implemented easily?

baldand

Quote from: Jbowdach on May 27, 2014, 08:24:11 PM
The new GPU features are awesome!!! Def will be trying that on any line shots I have,

my apologies if this was asked,  but is ther any way to add the filename of the MLV as a reel\tape name metadata to the Proxies? That would make the round tripping process significantly easier, and I wouldn't need to make my proxies in Resolve (as it adds that metadata, which really helps ensure the return part of the round trip is easy). Is this something that can be implemented easily?

It depends on the details. Can you make an enhancement request to bitbucket specifying exactly how you would like it to work - e.g. exactly what metadata tags you expect to be set to what kind of values in which kind of files - with examples if possible. That will help.

Even better if you can tell me what ffmpeg command options should be used to achieve the right results.

Link: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issues?status=new&status=open

Jbowdach

Quote from: baldand on May 27, 2014, 09:33:15 PM
It depends on the details. Can you make an enhancement request to bitbucket specifying exactly how you would like it to work - e.g. exactly what metadata tags you expect to be set to what kind of values in which kind of files - with examples if possible. That will help.

Even better if you can tell me what ffmpeg command options should be used to achieve the right results.

Link: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issues?status=new&status=open
no problem, will put in features request w details

bluewater

Thank you, baldand.
After testing 1.1.6 ver, today I found some weird thing about bitrate of clips.
If I put the setting default, the total bitrate of 7s-clip is 159Mbps.
While I changed WB and brightness the total bitrate skyrockets to 233Mbps (a whopping 46% up!)

I don't think the image quality of the WB-modified clip is 46% higher than the default clip. (no sharpening, no NR.)
If you didn't not intend to do this, could you fix it?

baldand

Quote from: bluewater on May 28, 2014, 08:56:14 AM
Thank you, baldand.
After testing 1.1.6 ver, today I found some weird thing about bitrate of clips. by
If I put the setting default, the total bitrate of 7s-clip is 159Mbps.
While I changed WB and brightness the total bitrate skyrockets to 233Mbps (a whopping 46% up!)

I don't think the image quality of the WB-modified clip is 46% higher than the default clip. (no sharpening, no NR.)
If you didn't not intend to do this, could you fix it?

The current prores encoding is for a fixed qscale rather than fixed bitrate, because that encodes faster. What this means is that quality should stay constant, but the bitrate will rise and fall as needed.

By raising brightness, you probably made some dark pixels and noise more visible, and according to the visual quality measurement, that needed more bits.

Fix bitrate could be an option in the future if it is much in demand.