MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schlemiel29

Yes that I knew. But I solved it that way:
I created a new folder, copied MLV and MLRawViewer in it and then it works!?
Before I only get a WAV file but no DNG nor MOV.

schlemiel29

Before I used RAW, now MLV seems to be the same except that sound is included. Is there any reason to still use RAW or should I use always MLV?

Midphase

You might want to read my somewhat rant-ish thread asking the same question.

I find .raw gives me better performance and has stronger existing conversion tools in the form of RAWMagic on the Mac, but if you need in-camera sound then you really don't have a choice.

ItsMeLenny

uh oh spaghetti-o

new bug

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./mlrawviewer.py", line 1478, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "./mlrawviewer.py", line 1468, in main
    rmc = Viewer(r,outfilename,wavfilename)
  File "./mlrawviewer.py", line 531, in __init__
    super(Viewer,self).__init__(width=userWidth,height=int(userWidth*self.vidAspectHeight),**kwds)
  File "~/*****/mlrawviewer/GLComputeGLUT.py", line 116, in __init__
    glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_DOUBLE|GLUT_RGB|GLUT_DEPTH|GLUT_BORDERLESS)
NameError: global name 'GLUT_BORDERLESS' is not defined

blainesuque

Hey guys, just started using the MLV viewer and did a quick test today. everything is good and working. Just one question that is hard for me to figure out that maybe one of you can answer, What kind of proress does MLV viewer export to? And are the DMG's that the MLV viewer produces the same as what RAWmagic would produce? THANKS GREAT WORK>> AMAZING WORK!!

Dreamer

Quote from: blainesuque on March 26, 2014, 09:21:30 AM
Just one question that is hard for me to figure out that maybe one of you can answer, What kind of proress does MLV viewer export to?

I opened one of the files in QuickTime.  It reads it as ProRes 422 HQ.
I opened it in VLC.  It reads it as ProRes 4:4:4 YUV 10-bit LE.  Based on comments from baldand, this is the most accurate answer.

Dreamer

Andrew, I just discovered your tool, and suffice to say I am incredibly impressed.  The last time I took a deep dive into ML Raw post-production tools, there was much function (great) with terrible design and layout choices.  This software is a breath of fresh air. When you package features with slick design, expect an audience to grow, good sir.  Again, very impressed.

I just submitted an enhancement issue requesting tool-tips.  First-time users often hover over buttons and want to know functionality before clicking.  While the text-based Readme file is useful for explaining the software's purpose and keyboard controls, it can't and doesn't break down the visual elements.  I hope to see a short description for each visual button on-screen.  If you would like, I can write the tool-tips up and PM them to you to save you time.  Let me know if that would be helpful or not for you.

Additionally, integrating the documentation (i.e. About--> Help/Manual) inside the software would be swell as well.  Many end-users don't think to check the Readme file (or keep it long enough to check it) and only go looking for help once they think a feature is missing or are running into a problem which is likely just a user error.

Anyway, I'm just being a proponent of fool-proofing the tool you've designed because the easier it is to use, the easier it is to just pass on to someone new without sending them to a forum / website to figure it out.

I would expect when MLV gets standardized and publicly released that a workflow standard will battle itself out.  At this rate, assuming batch encoding shows up soon for this application, I hope it becomes the, or one of the, gold standards.  Simplicity and beauty meets function.  Recognition is well deserved.

Edit: BTW, I endorse the earlier suggestion of making 'Mark In' and 'Mark Out' I and O respectively, as that is relatively standard for video prep and editing.  Again, if someone didn't read, that's what they would press on the keyboard.  Cheers!

gary2013

Quote from: Dreamer on March 26, 2014, 09:53:45 AM
Edit: BTW, I endorse the earlier suggestion of making 'Mark In' and 'Mark Out' I and O respectively, as that is relatively standard for video prep and editing.  Again, if someone didn't read, that's what they would press on the keyboard.  Cheers!
It is also an industry standard to use the J K L keys where the K is for stop and play, J is Reverse and L is Forward. Tapping either J or L will increase speed in that direction. I think it is like 30% speed for each tap. I might be wrong, but there is a way for slow motion, fwd or rev. Maybe it is hold the K while tapping either J or L for slow motion increments in decreasing the speed.
Maybe these functions are not needed for this app. Take a vote from users if you are interested to add these functions.   

gary2013

Quote from: Dreamer on March 26, 2014, 09:38:33 AM

I opened one of the files in QuickTime.  It reads it as ProRes 422 HQ.
I opened it in VLC.  It reads it as ProRes 4:4:4 YUV 10-bit LE.  Based on comments from baldand, this is the most accurate answer.
I would think that the LE indicates it is the Light Edition so it would then not be 422 HQ. I personally, would want to use 444 since we are coming form a raw file that is 14 bit. One of the main reasons for shooting raw is to have better color grading with the larger amount of data it records. Seems silly to throw all the data away after shooting raw. Yes, the files from 444 are larger, but so what when we now can buy a 4 TB drive for $157 or a 2 TB drive for $80.

gary2013

Quote from: Midphase on March 25, 2014, 10:53:28 PM
You might want to read my somewhat rant-ish thread asking the same question.

I find .raw gives me better performance and has stronger existing conversion tools in the form of RAWMagic on the Mac, but if you need in-camera sound then you really don't have a choice.
I have an M and it does not do audio, which is the big reason to use MLV at the moment. So, I use raw and it is also easier to get  Pink Dot Removal from a few apps that only use Raw files and not MLV.

gary2013

When i adjust the white balance for a MLV file in MLRawViewer, it doesn't seem to stay with the file. I load another MLV file and then adjust the white balance for that file and extract to a DNG sequence. Now when I load the first DNG seq, the white balance did not stay and it shows the white balance from the last file I adjusted. What am I missing about this?

Midphase

Quote from: Dreamer on March 26, 2014, 09:53:45 AM
I would expect when MLV gets standardized and publicly released that a workflow standard will battle itself out.

Dreamer, you sure do live up to your name.   ;D

Midphase

Quote from: gary2013 on March 26, 2014, 02:58:20 PM
It is also an industry standard to use the J K L keys where the K is for stop and play, J is Reverse and L is Forward. Tapping either J or L will increase speed in that direction. I think it is like 30% speed for each tap. I might be wrong, but there is a way for slow motion, fwd or rev. Maybe it is hold the K while tapping either J or L for slow motion increments in decreasing the speed.
Maybe these functions are not needed for this app. Take a vote from users if you are interested to add these functions.

Agreed, JKL is a known workflow that is used by many NLE's. I forgot about that, but I think it's a good point.

Midphase

Quote from: gary2013 on March 26, 2014, 05:23:15 PM
When i adjust the white balance for a MLV file in MLRawViewer, it doesn't seem to stay with the file. I load another MLV file and then adjust the white balance for that file and extract to a DNG sequence. Now when I load the first DNG seq, the white balance did not stay and it shows the white balance from the last file I adjusted. What am I missing about this?

Hello Gary,

My understanding is that CDNG files are white balance agnostic. What that means is that while the metadata might have information relating to what your preferred white balance setting is, it's not married to the actual image. I think that the white balance and tonal adjustments in MLRawViewer are only applied to the ProRes export.

Maybe Baldand could comment?

Midphase

Quote from: gary2013 on March 26, 2014, 03:14:26 PM
I have an M and it does not do audio, which is the big reason to use MLV at the moment. So, I use raw and it is also easier to get  Pink Dot Removal from a few apps that only use Raw files and not MLV.

Yup, if you don't need audio then .raw is IMHO superior performance-wise. On my 5D3 I can easily record continuous 1920X1288 on all of my CF cards in .raw. When I switch to .mlv, at times it seems like the camera can hardly keep up with 1920X1080 even with audio disabled.

swinxx

When i look at the material on my macbook pro 13", the material looks washed out. Like a blackmagic material.. Is that ok? When i try to change the curve on the upper left side of the menu to a straight line the video material is crushed..
Is that behavior normal, or is the iris gfx card the problem?
Thx. Sw

gary2013

Quote from: Midphase on March 26, 2014, 06:56:15 PM
Yup, if you don't need audio then .raw is IMHO superior performance-wise. On my 5D3 I can easily record continuous 1920X1288 on all of my CF cards in .raw. When I switch to .mlv, at times it seems like the camera can hardly keep up with 1920X1080 even with audio disabled.
that's a bummer on the 5d3. especially since it can record audio with mlv. maybe they will eventually work it out.

gary2013

Quote from: Midphase on March 26, 2014, 06:53:39 PM
Hello Gary,

My understanding is that CDNG files are white balance agnostic. What that means is that while the metadata might have information relating to what your preferred white balance setting is, it's not married to the actual image. I think that the white balance and tonal adjustments in MLRawViewer are only applied to the ProRes export.

Maybe Baldand could comment?
if i use ACR and make any adjustments to a frame in the dng seq and the sync it to all the frames, i can save it out  as new dng seq with all the changes i made on every frame. that is why i was wondering if it is possible in mlrawviewer.

baldand

Quote from: gary2013 on March 26, 2014, 07:19:32 PM
if i use ACR and make any adjustments to a frame in the dng seq and the sync it to all the frames, i can save it out  as new dng seq with all the changes i made on every frame. that is why i was wondering if it is possible in mlrawviewer.

Midphase got it correct. For now, the displayed white balance and brightness are only used for MOV encode. DNG export does not yet modify anything apart from the previously discusses dead pixels (mainly relevant for 60D).

It would be nice in future if the as shot RGB multipliers in the DNG files would reflect the visual setting when the export was made, but I need to do more work to get the mappings right since I think it should take into account the camera XYZ colour matrix so that you see the correct result e.g. in Premiere.

baldand

Quote from: swinxx on March 26, 2014, 07:13:58 PM
When i look at the material on my macbook pro 13", the material looks washed out. Like a blackmagic material.. Is that ok? When i try to change the curve on the upper left side of the menu to a straight line the video material is crushed..
Is that behavior normal, or is the iris gfx card the problem?
Thx. Sw

Hard to say. There is currently no sRGB curve which might give the most "normal" looking output. The default global tone map can look a bite washed out, though I like for reviewing material because it brings up dark areas while preserving contrast. The log curve is of course very flat. The linear curve makes no effort to keep data in the visible range - with that you should use the brightness control to examine the lighter and darker areas.

baldand

General comment... thanks everyone for the constructive suggestions e.g. for tool tips and key changes. I'm following it all and will see what can be added/changed/improved in future versions.

Danne

Thank you for a gamechanger in workflow when working with raw and mlvfiles. Amazing tool.

tonybeccar

Hello baland! I wanted to ask why does 50fps footage sometimes play in slowmotion and sometimes in normal motion? Meaning 25fps or 50fps? Is there any shortcut that I am missing? Also, the audio does not stretch when it plays in slowmotion, it gets cut off at half of the clip, probably you know this, hehe.

Cheers!

baldand

Quote from: tonybeccar on March 27, 2014, 05:13:59 PM
Hello baland! I wanted to ask why does 50fps footage sometimes play in slowmotion and sometimes in normal motion? Meaning 25fps or 50fps? Is there any shortcut that I am missing? Also, the audio does not stretch when it plays in slowmotion, it gets cut off at half of the clip, probably you know this, hehe.

Cheers!

The drop frames option (F key or clock/frame icon) can switch between "slow motion" (show every frame) and "play in real time" (drop frames if needed to keep up), though it shouldn't play audio in non-drop frame mode...

Of course this could be some other bug with 50fps content I don't know about...

gary2013

I am not sure if this has been covered, but is there some way in your app to eliminate the pink dots we get on the M camera using raw or mlv files?