MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarotaz

Quote from: baldand on March 18, 2014, 09:00:18 AM
That's good to hear! There is a very simple dead pixel detection/hiding I put in a while ago when I was doing something with raw from a 60D. I'm glad it's still working.

In old version 1.1.2 i've tested but bad pixel still exist. This is the news of the day man. I was waiting this fix since raw shooting is released.

baldand

Quote from: MA Visuals on March 18, 2014, 08:32:55 AM
It seems the most practical method of post processing for Premiere users then would be then to export to ProRes using your Log curve, and then import into Premiere.  Well at least that will be my preferred workflow unless the pink highlight issue is eventually solved. 

It's quite a shame, especially since Premiere is so close to handling the DNGs as-is.

-Will the ProRes exports eventually support queuing just like DNGs? 

I would like to do this change so that the export queue can accept any kind of job and it runs independently of the currently viewed file. But it may involve quite a change to get the OpenGL processing pipeline running either in a separate hidden window or offscreen buffers, so I'm not sure how long it will take or if it will work.

-Is the brightness control equivalent to an exposure control?

It's just a global multiplier. The visual bar is in log space to give it a wide effective range. So it is effectively an exposure control.

-Just wondering why there is no Tungsten white balance option.  Also, it may be too much to ask, but would it be possible to add a white balance eyedropper/picker such as found in ACR, etc. to make it easier to find the correct white balance?

The whole colour & white balance area needs much more work. It probably should be converting into a standard colour space using the camera matrices, but it currently doesn't. A dropper and/or auto white balance algorithm, temperature/tint sliders, sRGB output, and LUTs could all be useful. These are all possible tasks for the future.

Anyway, terrific progress on your tool.  So professionally developed and very efficient and refined.  Much respect.

Thanks! :-)

baldand

Quote from: sarotaz on March 18, 2014, 09:09:05 AM
In old version 1.1.2 i've tested but bad pixel still exist. This is the news of the day man. I was waiting this fix since raw shooting is released.

Oh I understand now. In 1.1.2 I was copying 14bit raw data as is to the DNG. But 1.1.3 has to unpack it to 16bit with MlRawViewer's usual unpacking code which it uses for display. So this new version inherited the bad pixel fixing code also. Useful!

OObner

Finally!
Bad pixels gone from 60D footage!
Heaven!
(I'm getting emotional now, I know)

Please don't make it disappear! please!

Only one thing need to perfection - batch conversion from the GUI.
This is all I ask.

Great Job!

Frank7D

Using 1.1.3 on a pc.
Hitting "W" key does nothing (I expected to select a directory).

Edit: I guess because I'm on Windows Vista?

baldand

Quote from: Frank7D on March 19, 2014, 03:53:14 AM
Using 1.1.3 on a pc.
Hitting "W" key does nothing (I expected to select a directory).

Edit: I guess because I'm on Windows Vista?

Vista hasn't been tested, but I would expect it to work OK.

If you run MlRawViewer without giving it a video file, do you see a file selector then? If you can supply an "mlrawviewer.log" file from when you pressed W that might show something.

gary2013

I am using MlRawViewer 1.1.3 . Is there anyway to select which version of ProRes we can use use for a proxy export? Which version is it currently using? 444, HQ, etc.

baldand

Quote from: gary2013 on March 19, 2014, 10:38:33 AM
I am using MlRawViewer 1.1.3 . Is there anyway to select which version of ProRes we can use use for a proxy export? Which version is it currently using? 444, HQ, etc.

At the moment it is fixed. The ffmpeg argument currently is "-vcodec prores_ks -profile:v 3". The colour format that uses is YUV444 10bit. The quality is quite high, and of course it's using (slow/expensive) AMaZE for demosaicing.

Fast/lower quality proxies is not a feature that anyone has requested to the enhancements list: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issues

Midphase

Quote from: baldand on March 19, 2014, 04:38:39 PM
Fast/lower quality proxies is not a feature that anyone has requested to the enhancements list: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issues

If you can figure out the whole CDNG Premiere Pro thing, I'm not sure proxies would be even needed (assuming that other NLE's will also support CDNG).

baldand

Quote from: Midphase on March 19, 2014, 05:34:06 PM
If you can figure out the whole CDNG Premiere Pro thing, I'm not sure proxies would be even needed (assuming that other NLE's will also support CDNG).

Do you mean the pink highlights? It sounds like @chmee may have found a solution for those. If so, I'm curious to hear what it is.

Midphase

Yeah, the pink highlights. Kudos to get it this close though...it's working quite well for me (aside the pesky pink highlights).

Frank7D

Quote from: baldand on March 19, 2014, 06:45:34 AM
Vista hasn't been tested, but I would expect it to work OK.

If you run MlRawViewer without giving it a video file, do you see a file selector then? If you can supply an "mlrawviewer.log" file from when you pressed W that might show something.

It's working fine now. I may have been using the wrong version (file association issue). Thanks!

gary2013

Quote from: baldand on March 19, 2014, 04:38:39 PM
At the moment it is fixed. The ffmpeg argument currently is "-vcodec prores_ks -profile:v 3". The colour format that uses is YUV444 10bit. The quality is quite high, and of course it's using (slow/expensive) AMaZE for demosaicing.

thanx. I wanted to use the highest quality prores.

Keep up the good work. this is a great app.

nandoide

Hi, baldand. With several fps overrides on source, for instance 36 fps on no crop mode over 1080p canon video mode (RAW or MLV), the resulting movs are NOK (the video flickers up and down). I think that it's not able to guess the source fps. The  DNG's are OK.

Perhaps it's not the solution, but in either case it will be useful that we can choose the mov fps (source, 24, 25, 30, 48, 60) for instance.

Another handy improvement will be that if we are viewing in anamorphic unsquetched(A), and we save to mov, the mov saved would be unsquetched also.

I've tested from a Canon 6D and 1.1.3 over Mac OSX.

Very good work!!!! Thanks a lot.

baldand

Quote from: nandoide on March 20, 2014, 09:17:08 AM
Hi, baldand. With several fps overrides on source, for instance 36 fps on no crop mode over 1080p canon video mode (RAW or MLV), the resulting movs are NOK (the video flickers up and down). I think that it's not able to guess the source fps. The  DNG's are OK.

Thanks. I'll try to reproduce this and work out what's going wrong.

Re anamorphic - I wouldn't like to rescale the source material, but maybe there is something that can be done with pixel aspect ratio metadata?

Midphase

Here's a simple one:

Just about every NLE software out there uses the shortcuts I and O to set the in and out points. I think using those keys for those familiar assignments might make your app a bit more intuitive for people used to working in FCP or Premiere?

DitOnTheLoose

PLS can we have a Frameexport to high quality JPEG without overlays on button press? That would be awesome!

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: DitOnTheLoose on March 24, 2014, 02:22:08 PM
PLS can we have a Frameexport to high quality JPEG without overlays on button press? That would be awesome!

Who is we?

And why jpeg. Jpeg died a long time ago.

DitOnTheLoose

"we" all.

Because when working with RAW I send stills to the set via telegram so people can reference to those when talking about reshooting something or just for archiving. With Jpeg I can use JPEGmini to reduce filesize drastically with just a click, which helps to send the images to mobile phones on set.

Of course it would be nice to be able to choose between multiple file formats.

the quickest and easiest way of course would be if I could disable the overlays with a key, that way I could at least use a simple screenshot.

tonybeccar

Hi baldand, I wanted to report a simple bug, I don't know if anyone else has it:

Sometimes mlrawviewer won't open some files, it's random. So when you hit Next key, it skips sometimes 1, 2 or 3 files until it finds one that can open. In the folder, you can see the .wav generated that is 1kb, so it failed. There is no way of opening those files with 1.1.3, will look for a log and try with an older version. Using Windows 7 here.

Cheers mate! AWESOME work!!!!! :D

Here's log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kj33bt0iihq6ef0/mlrawviewer.log
The files that wouldn't open are there listed in the log, maybe you can take a look.

tonybeccar

Quote from: tonybeccar on March 24, 2014, 07:33:36 PM
Hi baldand, I wanted to report a simple bug, I don't know if anyone else has it:

Sometimes mlrawviewer won't open some files, it's random. So when you hit Next key, it skips sometimes 1, 2 or 3 files until it finds one that can open. In the folder, you can see the .wav generated that is 1kb, so it failed. There is no way of opening those files with 1.1.3, will look for a log and try with an older version. Using Windows 7 here.

Cheers mate! AWESOME work!!!!! :D

Here's log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kj33bt0iihq6ef0/mlrawviewer.log
The files that wouldn't open are there listed in the log, maybe you can take a look.

I was just looking in the ML builds and it seems the one I used (March 13th) had problems with MLV header write. So that might be it. Anyone knows about this bug? (I just recorded a whole short with this build)

tonybeccar

Quote from: tonybeccar on March 24, 2014, 08:17:56 PM
I was just looking in the ML builds and it seems the one I used (March 13th) had problems with MLV header write. So that might be it. Anyone knows about this bug? (I just recorded a whole short with this build)

Ok in response to my posts: it was a mlv_rec bug. The field frameSpace of the first frame was invalid due to a bug in the build. Now g3gg0 fixed it in mlv_dump so it will skip any frame that has an invalid frameSpace. Any chance to incorporate it in mlvrawviewer?

Cheers and sorry for the trouble!

schlemiel29

I don't get it to work!
I downloaded the dmg version for Mac OS and copied it to application. I could start it, the MLV is shown in the window, but how I get a mov file out of it? I clicked on the red button, then the progress bar goes up to the end, but where is the file?
I selected mov or DNG, but neither of the produces an output. Any tips?

Midphase

Quote from: schlemiel29 on March 25, 2014, 06:30:35 PM
Any tips?

Read the first post.

W - File dialog to choose the export directory
D - Choose export type, MOV or DNG
E - Start exporting from the start of the marked range to the export directory. Will use the source name with ".MOV" or "_DNG" appended.

gary2013

I was typing the same reply and didn't see your post. LOL
Still, read the post to see all the key commands.  :)