MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick.p

Quote from: baldand on March 10, 2014, 11:28:11 AM
Do you mean thumbnails in the individual DNG files, or something else?
Yeah, essentially the option found in the adobe dng converter.

arrinkiiii

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: nick.p on March 10, 2014, 11:34:09 AM
Yeah, essentially the option found in the adobe dng converter.

People don't know what that means, you have to provide examples.

RenStarFilm

I love the fact that it now has thumbnails so i cant see what DNG file I'm working with!!!!!!!!!!!!

DavidSh

Good work man!

Great tool.
You really take post and on set preview to other level.

noticed:
mouse cursor disappear after resize application window.

Mac OS Mavrickis.
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

Midphase

Quote from: baldand on March 10, 2014, 10:22:39 AM
2. *EXPERIMENTAL* DNG export as alternative to MOV.

This is really fantastic, thank you so much!

However, as you move forward on refining this, could I lobby you to consider CDNG instead of regular DNG? The reason why is that Adobe is likely about to fully support CDNG in Premiere Pro, and thanks to Blackmagic it's quickly becoming the de-facto standard for raw video files. My understanding is that the difference between DNG and CDNG is just in the header information which includes specific information as it relates to video.

Right now, on the Mac, there is a need for some sort of .mlv to CDNG solution since none of the current apps can do it. It would be a fantastic option to have MLRawViewer do it.

baldand

Quote from: Midphase on March 10, 2014, 06:46:54 PM
However, as you move forward on refining this, could I lobby you to consider CDNG instead of regular DNG? The reason why is that Adobe is likely about to fully support CDNG in Premiere Pro, and thanks to Blackmagic it's quickly becoming the de-facto standard for raw video files. My understanding is that the difference between DNG and CDNG is just in the header information which includes specific information as it relates to video.

Of course. I don't see any reason not to aim for making CDNG-compatible DNG sequences. I already set the FrameRate tag from the CDNG spec, and IIRC there are only 3 other (optional) tags there that might be needed.

(DNGs embedded in MXF files  - the alternate format of CDNG - is a totally different story I won't be doing that.)

@midphase could I ask you (or somebody else) to try out the DNG sequences being produced currently in Premiere Pro (which I don't have access to) and tell me what doesn't work or what needs adding? I've already tested in Resolve 10 and After Effects and they seem to import the sequences ok.

aace

Is there a change log I can reference somewhere? I'm trying to keep track of the progress of this app. Which is awesome by the way.

DavidSh

Quote from: baldand on March 10, 2014, 07:00:56 PM
@midphase could I ask you (or somebody else) to try out the DNG sequences being produced currently in Premiere Pro (which I don't have access to) and tell me what doesn't work or what needs adding? I've already tested in Resolve 10 and After Effects and they seem to import the sequences ok.

You get an error message after importing, saying:
The file appears to have no media data.

Premiere do not know how to handle DNG, only CDNG

Hope it helps...

Best
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

chmee

@baldand
the mystery behind cdng for premiere are not really the cdng-tags, but debiasing and maximizing values. possibly the delinearizationtable from bmcc-files can help. AND: of course the dng-files should be converted to 16, 12 or 10bit, because 14bit is no typical video-bitdepth, only supported by resolve (and acr as a photo->converter)

https://infogr.am/bmcc-delinearization-curve?src=web
and
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg105445#msg105445

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: aace on March 10, 2014, 07:36:12 PM
Is there a change log I can reference somewhere? I'm trying to keep track of the progress of this app. Which is awesome by the way.

All changes https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/commits/all

gary2013

Quote from: DavidSh on March 10, 2014, 03:20:34 PM
noticed:
mouse cursor disappear after resize application window.

I also saw that happen here yesterday trying the latest 1.1.2 ver on my win 7.

baldand

Quote from: chmee on March 10, 2014, 07:55:01 PM
@baldand
the mystery behind cdng for premiere are not really the cdng-tags, but debiasing and maximizing values. possibly the delinearizationtable from bmcc-files can help. AND: of course the dng-files should be converted to 16, 12 or 10bit, because 14bit is no typical video-bitdepth, only supported by resolve (and acr as a photo->converter)

https://infogr.am/bmcc-delinearization-curve?src=web
and
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg105445#msg105445

regards chmee

Thanks chmee. That should be enough info for me to work out what's needed for Premiere. I expect it's the 14bit data. I can easily make an option to pad to 16bit (though that will waste disk space)

KMA_WWC

Baldand, this is quickly turning into an ultimate tool for ML users. Just want to say huge thanks for both making this awesome software and supporting it. Many people started, but many never finished and left their creations raw and unusable (I'm talking about some converters on this forum). Besides fixing bugs you add new features. Incredible! I really appreciate your, devs and simple user contribution work on this forum.

Keep up the great work and can't wait for CDNG 16bit format option.
Canon 5D Mark III

arrinkiiii

Yes indeed. Some app that do the conversion  from MLV to CDNG and import directly to Premiere will be the ultimate tool !!!

MA Visuals

When I use the "A" key to desqueeze my 1920 x 672 (60p) footage, the 1.4x de-squeeze is not enough to reach a vertical height of 1080.  I believe you would need a 1.61 (1.6072 to be more precise) vertical stretch in order to bring the vertical height from 672 to 1080.  Would it be possible for you to add 1.61 as another vertical stretch factor when toggling using the "A" key?

ATP

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: MA Visuals on March 11, 2014, 08:25:49 AM
When I use the "A" key to desqueeze my 1920 x 672 (60p) footage, the 1.4x de-squeeze is not enough to reach a vertical height of 1080.  I believe you would need a 1.61 (1.6072 to be more precise) vertical stretch in order to bring the vertical height from 672 to 1080.  Would it be possible for you to add 1.61 as another vertical stretch factor when toggling using the "A" key?

The problem here is it would change between cameras. (Replying as I was the one who put it in, and I based it off the squeeze that the camera claimed).
Let's work it out :P

CameraMax 1080Max 720Squeeze
5d31920x12801920x6721.9x
6D1808x12161792x568?wat
650D1728x11501728x6941.657x
7,60,600,550D1728x11561728x6941.66x

well in that case, it probably should be 1.6x. No idea who suggested 1.4x (maybe it said it in camera), i was just doing what the people wanted!!!!

Midphase

Quote from: baldand on March 11, 2014, 07:10:50 AM
Thanks chmee. That should be enough info for me to work out what's needed for Premiere. I expect it's the 14bit data. I can easily make an option to pad to 16bit (though that will waste disk space)

That's the way RAWMagic handles it, but despite all the CDNG files being 16bit, Premiere still reads the files wrongly (they will import and playback, but there is a nasty pink overcast on all the footage which makes it kinda unusable).

Something is going on with the way Premiere is reading files generated by the Blackmagic Cameras vs. the files generated by ML CDNG.

PM me if you want me to give you some Blackmagic CDNG files to study.

andy kh

Quote from: Midphase on March 11, 2014, 06:50:12 PM
That's the way RAWMagic handles it, but despite all the CDNG files being 16bit, Premiere still reads the files wrongly (they will import and playback, but there is a nasty pink overcast on all the footage which makes it kinda unusable).

Something is going on with the way Premiere is reading files generated by the Blackmagic Cameras vs. the files generated by ML CDNG.

problem solved with raw2cdng
5D Mark III - 70D

a1ex

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on March 11, 2014, 11:00:52 AM

5d31920x12801920x6721.9x

Wrong. LiveView coverage at 1080p is not identical to 720p, and the exact behavior is camera-specific.

Some better approximations are here, but I can't bet on them: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215

baldand

Quote from: Midphase on March 11, 2014, 06:50:12 PM

I got hold of PremierePro for testing and I have the basics working now thanks to chmee's tips. All that was needed was 16bit DNG, a non-default LinearizationTable (PP seems to need this even though it *should* be optional - surely Adobe's bug) and BlackLevel/WhiteLevel tags to be Short instead of Long (another Adobe bug - both Long and Short are allowed in the DNG spec).