MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidSh

Great tool,

noticed:
Sound play in sync when playing in the app, but after exporting to prores it looses sync.

600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

baldand

Quote from: DavidSh on March 04, 2014, 12:01:16 PM
Sound play in sync when playing in the app, but after exporting to prores it looses sync.

Thanks for the report. Some more information could be useful:
- Is it obviously out of sync from the start (offset), or does it get more out of sync as the file plays (stretched)?
- Have you tried playing the ProRes file with different players and see the same thing?
- If you process the same file with e.g. mlv_dump and some DNG tool, is it in sync without any manual offset?
- Did you convert the whole file, or just a marked subsection? Is it out of sync in both cases?
- Which camera was the file made with?

(You can use the V/B/N/M keys to slide the audio, but I know that's not ideal if every track is out of sync for you)

baldand

Quote from: Danne on March 04, 2014, 10:41:12 AM
Questions. Anybody experienced problems with "unexpected error -10813" when trying to "change all" ponting to the app?
I,m on osx 10 mavericks on a macbook pro. I have older builds present as well but can,t seem to find any cache preferenses to clean. Maybe that,s what needed? Suggestions?
How do I play dng files by he way? Tried drag all of the to the app and also only the first one. Didn,t work.

*tried to "kill all" preferences and then open with but the app still doesn,t seems to be able to "change all" for a simplier workflow. Maybe not working on mac

Oh sounds bad. Have you tried moving or deleting the old versions of the tool? I'm not a heavy mac user, but this associating has been working for me with Mavericks, also with DNGs.

You should be able to drag one DNG file from a sequence onto the app icon, or doing "Open with". If that's not working, it may indicate another problem with the file associations or installation, since the app had to declare it handles .DNG files.

Maybe you should just delete all copies of MlRawViewer (including emptying the trash..) and reinstall 1.1.0?

gary2013

Quote from: baldand on March 04, 2014, 08:49:08 AM
I understand, as I had to think for a while when designing this.

The model I went for is for all icons to consistently show the current app state rather than another state you can get to by clicking that icon. That means the play icon shows the arrow when playing, not when paused.  It also means the icons can have more than two states (like the colour mapping).

On windows you should set the file associations for .MLV, .RAW and .DNG to the mlrawviewer.exe so that you can just click on the files to be opened automatically in the the viewer.

Make one copy of the MlRawViewer_1_1_0 directory, for instance in "c:\Program Files\"

Then find an example MLV/RAW/DNG file, right click, select "Open with" then "Choose default programs..." from the sub menu. Click "browse" on the dialog that opens, then find and select the mlrawviewer.exe.

In case this doesn't work for you (I've had problems in Win7), find the mlrawviewer.exe, right click and "Pin to taskbar", and drag the MLV/RAW/DNG file to the taskbar icon to teach Windows about the association. After that, you should be able to set the defaults.

It's primarily a real time player for MLV/RAW/CDNG files, which does not require the files to be converted first.
It can also convert marked regions of the files to ProRes (click the red button or E key).

More features may come in later versions.
thanx for the reply. about the play/pause icons, it is obvious that the clip is playing by seeing it playing in the window and the frame numbers are changing as it plays to also confirm it is playing. So, do we also need to see the play arrow icon to know if a clip is playing? :-)

baldand

Quote from: gary2013 on March 04, 2014, 09:33:55 PM
thanx for the reply. about the play/pause icons, it is obvious that the clip is playing by seeing it playing in the window and the frame numbers are changing as it plays to also confirm it is playing. So, do we also need to see the play arrow icon to know if a clip is playing? :-)

Yes, for the play icon this is the case. But it isn't for the other state icons like frame dropping & colour mapping. Those need to show the current state. The design decision I made was for all the icons to consistently show the current state.

Danne

Quote from: baldand on March 04, 2014, 09:10:59 PM
Oh sounds bad. Have you tried moving or deleting the old versions of the tool? I'm not a heavy mac user, but this associating has been working for me with Mavericks, also with DNGs.

You should be able to drag one DNG file from a sequence onto the app icon, or doing "Open with". If that's not working, it may indicate another problem with the file associations or installation, since the app had to declare it handles .DNG files.

Maybe you should just delete all copies of MlRawViewer (including emptying the trash..) and reinstall 1.1.0?

Thanks! Will do some more investigating. Tried on my computer at work. I will check my own computer when home. Just wanted to know whether or not it was possible or not to associate the files. Sounds promising and when it works it will be exactly the tool for a fast workflow I,ve been looking for.
Donationlink?
//D

DavidSh

Quote from: baldand on March 04, 2014, 09:07:36 PM
Thanks for the report. Some more information could be useful:
- Is it obviously out of sync from the start (offset), or does it get more out of sync as the file plays (stretched)?
- Have you tried playing the ProRes file with different players and see the same thing?
- If you process the same file with e.g. mlv_dump and some DNG tool, is it in sync without any manual offset?
- Did you convert the whole file, or just a marked subsection? Is it out of sync in both cases?
- Which camera was the file made with?

(You can use the V/B/N/M keys to slide the audio, but I know that's not ideal if every track is out of sync for you)

Thanks for answering.
-out of sync from the start.
-Played in vlc, Quicktime.
-didnt try
-out of sync on both cases
- 600d, last night build, sandisk 95mbs.

Cheers
David

DavidSh

Quote from: baldand on March 04, 2014, 09:07:36 PM

export to dng using mlv_dump
import to ae cs6
import wav to ae cs6
wav looks a bit shorter from video on the timeline
export with sound

came out of sync.

gary2013

Quote from: baldand on March 04, 2014, 09:41:09 PM
Yes, for the play icon this is the case. But it isn't for the other state icons like frame dropping & colour mapping. Those need to show the current state. The design decision I made was for all the icons to consistently show the current state.
So, the button with the arrow icon indicates the clip is playing, as well as we can see it is playing and the frames numbers are changing at the bottom. What icon do we now click on to make it stop since there is nothing that shows this? Anyone else who knows the answer cannot reply.  :) And, when the clip is paused and the well known symbol for pause is showing (a box usually means to stop), what icon do we click on to make it play the clip since there is nothing that shows indicating play?  :)

I am just trying to point out some logic and what is intuitive. Keep up the good work. Many people, and my self appreciate, what you are doing.

naturalsound

Works like a charm :-)
Also the freezing problem:
Quote from: naturalsound on February 16, 2014, 07:53:32 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

mlrawviewer is running as 2 threads. Both close when I hit ESC.
I am currently downloading the newest driver ...was really surprised that my current one is more than one year old. I will update this post with my results.

UPDATE:
- newest ATI driver installed: Still a pink frame and still the black window.
- I noticed that the black window does not appear when I drop the same MLV file on mlrawviewer again. It only happens with different files. Btw I have version 1.0.4 _alpha32 from the .zip as I can not build it on my own from the repository.
is now gone!

togg

timbytheriver

@baldand

This app is fast becoming a thing of beauty to use – as well as functionally great! Thanks soo much! :)

Mac 10.7.5
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

Danne

Hi all! Could people using mac confirm that "change all" for use with latest MLRawviewer is working on their computer using osx mavericks? When I,m trying all I get is an errorcode -10813 and all I get changed is the one file I want to open automatically with Mlrawviewer. Tried on two computers with no success.
Thanks!

noix222

great app!!! really liked... its possible to export more than one file at one time to prores?

Danne

Hi!
My solution to get the file association working on mac is now working. Not by right clicking and choosing change all but by doing following:
- Select all .raw and .mlv files and right click. Then press option(alt) key. Choose "always open with" and choose  the app. This gives no errorcode.
Sweet!

mrterpstra

I just tried to run this app and it crashes on loading. I'm on OSX 10.9.2 on a current gen Macbook Pro retina 15" with 750M Nvidia card. Let me know if there's a fix. Thanks.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: mrterpstra on March 10, 2014, 06:18:55 AM
I just tried to run this app and it crashes on loading. I'm on OSX 10.9.2 on a current gen Macbook Pro retina 15" with 750M Nvidia card. Let me know if there's a fix. Thanks.

The complete lack of information you provide is incredibly helpful.

Danne

Quote from: mrterpstra on March 10, 2014, 06:18:55 AM
I run the same setup. Works great. You do know you have to drag/drop the file onto the app?

baldand

1.1.2 is now available for Mac and Win: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg91165#msg91165

This includes a couple of new features:

1. Drag and drop MLV/RAW/DNG files to the existing player window to play the new video. Drag a WAV file to play with the current video.

2. *EXPERIMENTAL* DNG export as alternative to MOV.
To use DNG export, click the MOV/DNG icon to say DNG, or press D. Then press E or the red button to export the current marked range to a target directory. DNG exports are added to a queue which is processed immediately. There can be multiple items in the queue either from the same file or different files. A WAV file is created in the same directory as the DNG sequence.
The DNGs are currently light on metadata and always claim to be 25FPS. I will add more detailed and correct metadata in a later release. Please let me know if you have any need for any specific tags in the DNGs.
To set the target directory press W. The setting is persisted so you don't need to set it every time if you always use the same one.

3. If you run the program without giving it a file, it will not launch a file dialog asking you to choose one. This avoids the problem many had seen where the app could not be run just by clicking on it. Contributed by ItsMeLenny

4. Mark setting logic has been slightly refined - when you try to move the current range you can set the new marks in any order.

nick.p

It would be awesome if you could include a JPEG preview for those people on mac 10.9 mavericks. Not entirely sure how that works

gary2013

i have the latest win 7 ver 1.1.2. Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble reading the new mov/dng icon? I have yo lean in closer to read it all the time.  :) Can you make the text whiter and a little larger? The other items are easy to see since the are bigger simple graphic symbols.

andy kh

Quote from: gary2013 on March 10, 2014, 11:15:32 AM
i have the latest win 7 ver 1.1.2. Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble reading the new mov/dng icon? I have yo lean in closer to read it all the time.  :) Can you make the text whiter and a little larger? The other items are easy to see since the are bigger simple graphic symbols.

i dont have that problem.  my pro is i cant see the mark In and Out white bar clearly when i play clips that i shoot in bright sunlight.
5D Mark III - 70D

baldand

Quote from: andy kh on March 10, 2014, 11:24:05 AM
i dont have that problem.  my pro is i cant see the mark In and Out white bar clearly when i play clips that i shoot in bright sunlight.

Ouch. A workaround for now would be to reduce the brightness of the clip while you are marking. I'll try to give the mark bar more contrast in a later release.

baldand

Quote from: nick.p on March 10, 2014, 10:38:53 AM
It would be awesome if you could include a JPEG preview for those people on mac 10.9 mavericks. Not entirely sure how that works

Do you mean thumbnails in the individual DNG files, or something else?

baldand

Quote from: gary2013 on March 10, 2014, 11:15:32 AM

Yes, I think you are right there. Plus there is not much other difference between the 2 states. I'll try to improve that in the next release.