MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katerlouis

Yeah! New build- with O & P-Keys! :D
Next Clip, Prev Clip For presidents!

Thx.

pilgrim

Yes.

A better GUI will be the next major improvement. It is already implemented in bitbucket.
But is there some reason why you need a 64bit build for Windows? The program is not so memory hungry that it would benefit much, and performance is mostly depending on your GPU.

Baldand,

Thank you for your reply. It's clarify that GPU is the main worker. On Mac Mavericks I try to convert one file and then 6 different files, after copied and rename 6 mlrawviewer apps (I think Danne who point out that idea, thanks  ;) ) and when I see the occupation of CPU on the "activities windows" it's more process so I thought it influence the CPU. Yes, its work very fast  :) :). And it's nice to see many files working/transcoding together, like batch file of many 5DtoRGB transcoding.
Again, thank you very much for the program and the good news which will arrive.  :) :)  :-X

swinxx

I am also looking forward to the next release, and please add in and out points!! I think that would be a main feature for converting stuff

baldand

Quote from: swinxx on February 27, 2014, 02:53:29 PM
I am also looking forward to the next release, and please add in and out points!! I think that would be a main feature for converting stuff

I was thinking about this - would it be enough to be able to add a single mark in the timeline and then use the current frame as the second (implicit) mark when starting encoding?

If the current frame would be before the mark, encoding would run from current frame until the mark.
If the current frame would be after the mark, encoding would run from the mark to the current frame.

Or do you see some use case for having both in and out marks independent of the current frame?

Danne

Hi Baldand. Really like your app. Looking forward for your upcoming achievements. One question on my mind is about batchfunctionality. If It,s like now a simple inpoint and to start encoding from current frame would do fine. However, the question is what to do next when the conversion starts. Instead of waiting for conversion to finish I want to get on with the rest of my files. Would be awesome to maybe queue the files and when all settings are applied to all files being able to start the conversion queue from there. This might be too hard to implement and maybe this little "dream" have been discussed already.
Thanks again for all your work on this. Still the best rawviewer by far.

baldand

Quote from: Danne on February 27, 2014, 03:57:02 PM
Hi Baldand. Really like your app. Looking forward for your upcoming achievements. One question on my mind is about batchfunctionality. If It,s like now a simple inpoint and to start encoding from current frame would do fine. However, the question is what to do next when the conversion starts. Instead of waiting for conversion to finish I want to get on with the rest of my files. Would be awesome to maybe queue the files and when all settings are applied to all files being able to start the conversion queue from there. This might be too hard to implement and maybe this little "dream" have been discussed already.
Thanks again for all your work on this. Still the best rawviewer by far.

Batch encoding or DNG conversion will first need a browser to allow files to be picked.

The browser is on the enhancements list https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issue/19/browser and will probably be the major focus of the release after the coming 1.1.0

After that is in, then I can look at a batch queue, and I agree that this will need the in/out point recorded in the queue entry.

swinxx

Hello baldand!

The easiest scenario for the "user like me ;)" would be the possibility to  set in AND out points, then take the clip into a queue for later conversion to dng or cdgn or whatever. So you can look through your recorded clips from a session and select only the parts which are important for later editing!
The raw recording takes really so much disc space that conversion of only the important parts will save conversion time and disc space;) thank you so much.
Greets swinxx

jcs

Hi- great tool!

Testing with MLV and audio (ML Feb 10 build) on OSX (latest): for a ~23GB recording (> 4GB+exFat), during playback the audio cuts out at 1:50; when encoding to ProRes it cuts out around the same time. The fully extracted .wav file is OK (4m30s). Full audio file matched video correctly in PPro CC.

CPU utilization shows ffmpeg running around 143% and the host app running at 97%. If there's any way to multithread deBayer, that would help speed up ProRes output (tested on 4-core MBP (late 2013- fast CPU option)). My 2010 MacPro 12-core with AE+ACR runs 1/4 real-time (full CPU utilization): I believe this MBP has faster CPUs and SSD, so I don't think the MacPro will run your tool faster (will test). Would be nice if this tool ran as fast or faster than ACR+AE :) (MlRawViewer is about 1/2 as fast currently).

The AMaZE deBayer looks very good- appears to do a better job than ACR (AHD variant?), especially on super high contrast edges (where ACR looks strange- color/edge issue).

Vertical line removal, denoise, and perhaps sharpening during deBayer would be nice to see (looks reasonably sharp as is, and sharpens OK in post; might be possible to get higher quality sharpening as part of deBayer step (e.g. ACR sharpening looks better than post sharpening).

A film-like highlight roll-off option would be more useful than the current tone-mapping option...

A command line option to allow direct converting to ProRes would allow for scripting/batching (tried calling the compiled exe from the shell- didn't work).

Your tool brings the 5D3 one step closer to being a (useful) baby Alexa 8)

baldand

Thanks for the great feedback!

General comment: the bitbucket page has an issues list for defects and enhancements, and you can also vote up other issues already posted. See https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issues

Quote from: jcs on March 03, 2014, 06:22:41 AM
Testing with MLV and audio (ML Feb 10 build) on OSX (latest): for a ~23GB recording (> 4GB+exFat), during playback the audio cuts out at 1:50; when encoding to ProRes it cuts out around the same time. The fully extracted .wav file is OK (4m30s). Full audio file matched video correctly in PPro CC.

There are 2 wav files written. One has the name of the original MLV, and the other the name of the MOV. Were they both of the correct length?

Unfortunately my 7D doesn't support exFat, so I may have some problems reproducing this one, but I'll see what I can do.

CPU utilization shows ffmpeg running around 143% and the host app running at 97%. If there's any way to multithread deBayer, that would help speed up ProRes output (tested on 4-core MBP (late 2013- fast CPU option)). My 2010 MacPro 12-core with AE+ACR runs 1/4 real-time (full CPU utilization): I believe this MBP has faster CPUs and SSD, so I don't think the MacPro will run your tool faster (will test). Would be nice if this tool ran as fast or faster than ACR+AE :) (MlRawViewer is about 1/2 as fast currently).

Linux uses OpenMP for this, but neither of the Mac or Win compilers I have support OpenMP for multithreading the AMaZE debayering. I hope to rework the multithreading in a later version so that it's cross platform and demosaicing is faster on multicore machines. Also there is one post processing step I can push to the GPU in most cases, which might speed it up slightly.

The AMaZE deBayer looks very good- appears to do a better job than ACR (AHD variant?), especially on super high contrast edges (where ACR looks strange- color/edge issue).

Really?! That's interesting to hear. I haven't closely compared ACR output.

Vertical line removal, denoise, and perhaps sharpening during deBayer would be nice to see (looks reasonably sharp as is, and sharpens OK in post; might be possible to get higher quality sharpening as part of deBayer step (e.g. ACR sharpening looks better than post sharpening).

Vertical line removal I will try to address in the future for sure, since I suffer a lot of that on 7D. Sharpening might be quite easy to add later. Denoise would be great, but may be too big a challenge to do well.

A film-like highlight roll-off option would be more useful than the current tone-mapping option...

Much more flexible colour handling is a target for a future version.

A command line option to allow direct converting to ProRes would allow for scripting/batching (tried calling the compiled exe from the shell- didn't work).

That should be posted to the issues list. I think there may be a few different users for that so it would be good to capture all the requirements for command line options different people would like.

Your tool brings the 5D3 one step closer to being a (useful) baby Alexa 8)

Thanks!  :)

baldand

Heads up: I had a go at 1.1.0 binary builds for Mac and Windows. See the top post of the thread for links: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg91165#msg91165

Headline feature is a real UI (with icons).

DNG sequences should now be playable on Mac.

I sneaked in IN/OUT marks, so encoding now uses the marked range rather than the current frame.

Please report problems to the bitbucket issues pages: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issues

Midphase

Danne

1%

baldand

Quote from: 1% on March 03, 2014, 10:18:54 PM
why does it keep connecting to bit bucket?

To check if a newer binary release is available. If there is, it shows an update icon. It shouldn't check more than once a day though.

swinxx

hi baldand!

whow great. thank you.

i like the way the in and out points are set.. (would it be also possible to play the loop within those points?)

greets. rene
ps. so if it gets the batch queue and a possibility to extract dngs it would not only be the ultimate player but also the ultimate converter tool.

thx

pilgrim

Hi baldand !

It's great work :)  It's really great  :) :) :)  Definitely the best.
It's works very well on Win7 64b and Mac 10.9.2 and the output quality is very good.
The icon on the screen is very nice, beautiful and it's very intuitive.
The colour box is very nice. It's a new think  ;) ... so we don't say colour wheel anymore now  ;)
The mark IN and OUT are very good, on the beginning I didn't see it clearly (on Win7) but later I seen more clearly on Mavericks, it's maybe also because my screen.

Thank you very much.

Here is my suggestion for next version :
Can we have a coordinate for the position correction on "colour box" : (x,y) for example  (12,7) ? Maybe not so far from the box, or even inside the box. In this way if we have some clips with the same scene, light, colour, etc we can make the same set correction. For the brighness control, maybe similar way, but for that at least I can remember how many time pressing the arrow up or down.
Maybe you already have other plan for that also, by the way.
Again, big thanks.

jcs

Hi Andy!

M02-1932.WAV is full length (4:31)
M02-1932.MLV.MOV.WAV is short (1:51)

M02-1932.MLV is 23.6GB

Thanks!

New version looks cool- looking forward to getting more color/saturation/accuracy closer to ACR defaults and vertical-stripes-be-gone :)
Simple region-based threading might be easy to implement (rows at time etc.) to increase performance...

ouuzi

Very cool!!Can somebody explain what the third icon from top does?Only the pattern needs fixing,after that no more adobe for me!

gary2013

Thanx for all your work on this app.

the play and pause icons seem backwards to me. i expect the pause icon to show while the clip is playing and the play icon to show when the  clip is paused. most app works like that.

when I click on the exe file, i expect the app to open up and nothing happens. i see that i can drop a file onto that exe and then it works. am i missing something on the way this works? i have mlv files in separate folders. do i have to copy and paste your exe to every mlv folder and then drag n drop on it? that seems to be a tedious way. isn't here a way to just open your app and then use an import function of some sort for single files? groups of files?

again, excuse my lack of understanding on this, but what else does the app do? It seems to only play back mlv raw files, some brightness control and color adjust. but then what? can i extract dng's? make prores proxies? i don't see any more menu items , drop downs or right click menus anywhere.

andy kh

i could not use version 1.0.4. it dint work for me. this version 1.1.0 is fantastic. love it
5D Mark III - 70D

baldand

Quote from: ouuzi on March 04, 2014, 06:36:57 AM
Very cool!!Can somebody explain what the third icon from top does?Only the pattern needs fixing,after that no more adobe for me!

When the icon is a clock it will try to play in real time, dropping frames if needed. This mode is needed for playing audio
When the icon is a frame, it will play all frames so you don't miss anything (useful for checking if any frames are bad). This mode cannot play audio.

When you say "pattern", do you mean fixed pattern noise, or stripes, pink dots? Or something else?

baldand

Quote from: gary2013 on March 04, 2014, 07:13:39 AM
the play and pause icons seem backwards to me. i expect the pause icon to show while the clip is playing and the play icon to show when the  clip is paused. most app works like that.

I understand, as I had to think for a while when designing this.

The model I went for is for all icons to consistently show the current app state rather than another state you can get to by clicking that icon. That means the play icon shows the arrow when playing, not when paused.  It also means the icons can have more than two states (like the colour mapping).

Quote from: gary2013 link=topi:c=9560.msg104846#msg104846 date=1393913619
when I click on the exe file, i expect the app to open up and nothing happens. i see that i can drop a file onto that exe and then it works. am i missing something on the way this works? i have mlv files in separate folders. do i have to copy and paste your exe to every mlv folder and then drag n drop on it? that seems to be a tedious way. isn't here a way to just open your app and then use an import function of some sort for single files? groups of files?

On windows you should set the file associations for .MLV, .RAW and .DNG to the mlrawviewer.exe so that you can just click on the files to be opened automatically in the the viewer.

Make one copy of the MlRawViewer_1_1_0 directory, for instance in "c:\Program Files\"

Then find an example MLV/RAW/DNG file, right click, select "Open with" then "Choose default programs..." from the sub menu. Click "browse" on the dialog that opens, then find and select the mlrawviewer.exe.

In case this doesn't work for you (I've had problems in Win7), find the mlrawviewer.exe, right click and "Pin to taskbar", and drag the MLV/RAW/DNG file to the taskbar icon to teach Windows about the association. After that, you should be able to set the defaults.

Quote from: gary2013 link=topi:c=9560.msg104846#msg104846 date=1393913619
again, excuse my lack of understanding on this, but what else does the app do? It seems to only play back mlv raw files, some brightness control and color adjust. but then what? can i extract dng's? make prores proxies? i don't see any more menu items , drop downs or right click menus anywhere.

It's primarily a real time player for MLV/RAW/CDNG files, which does not require the files to be converted first.
It can also convert marked regions of the files to ProRes (click the red button or E key).

More features may come in later versions.

ouuzi

Quote from: baldand on March 04, 2014, 08:34:49 AM
When the icon is a clock it will try to play in real time, dropping frames if needed. This mode is needed for playing audio
When the icon is a frame, it will play all frames so you don't miss anything (useful for checking if any frames are bad). This mode cannot play audio.

When you say "pattern", do you mean fixed pattern noise, or stripes, pink dots? Or something else?
Stripes and pattern noise in shadow areas.

Danne

Nice work Baldand! Really like this app more and more.
Questions. Anybody experienced problems with "unexpected error -10813" when trying to "change all" ponting to the app?
I,m on osx 10 mavericks on a macbook pro. I have older builds present as well but can,t seem to find any cache preferenses to clean. Maybe that,s what needed? Suggestions?
How do I play dng files by he way? Tried drag all of the to the app and also only the first one. Didn,t work.

*tried to "kill all" preferences and then open with but the app still doesn,t seems to be able to "change all" for a simplier workflow. Maybe not working on mac