MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldand

Quote from: Kharak on January 30, 2014, 05:50:31 PM
On version 1.0.2 I could choose RAW/MLV files to open default with MLRawViewer, but on 1.0.4 I have to drag and drop each file and next/prev does not work.

You should be able to configure Windows to open mlrawviewer by default for any .RAW or .MLV files.

Try right clicking on a file, and choose "Open with..." to bring up the association options.

baldand

Quote from: PTRush on January 29, 2014, 04:42:58 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but here goes- can I export mlv's to cinema dng's with sound on my Mac? Can't seem to find the answer anywhere.
Thanks for the great app!!!

The DNGs produced by mlv_dump should be *almost* Cinema DNGs - at least they have the CinemaDNG FrameRate tag and Resolve/AE are able to open them as sequences. mlv_dump will create a WAV file from the MLV, but I'm not sure if that combination quite qualifies counts as a "CinemaDNG with sound".

Anyway, in theory mlrawviewer should be able to play that combination, though you probably need to launch it from the command line giving the directory for the DNGs followed by the full path to the WAV file.

Kharak

Quote from: baldand on January 31, 2014, 09:59:38 PM
You should be able to configure Windows to open mlrawviewer by default for any .RAW or .MLV files.

Try right clicking on a file, and choose "Open with..." to bring up the association options.

Yeah I did that. Maybe I did a bad delete of 1.0.2 ?

EDIT: I opened CCleaner, did registry cleanup and there I could see "Problem with 'open with'" for mlvview. Fixed it and now it works fine.

Bad delete indeed :)
once you go raw you never go back

dpiximaj

arrinkiiii

Hi, i have try the last version and it open some window and then it close, almost you can't see it...

Here the log

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ed82osoc80rdlxa/C773hIXtJS 

Thanks for the good work  :))

tonybeccar

Same as arinkiiii, uploading a new log with different errors I think... also the Next and Previous functions are messed up too!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kj33bt0iihq6ef0/mlrawviewer.log

Cheers!

baldand

Quote from: arrinkiiii on February 03, 2014, 09:33:00 PM
Hi, i have try the last version and it open some window and then it close, almost you can't see it...

@arrinkiiii - that looks like a problem with OpenGL on your PC. Was an earlier version of MlRawViewer working for you on the same system? Has your system changed in any way since then? What version of Windows are you using?

@tonybeccar - I see 2 problems. One is related to the new audio playback functionality. Then later you have an opengl memory problem (possible after using Next/Previous buttons many times).
Can you describe what you see when opening the program. Does the window close immediately or does it show the first frame for a few seconds while indexing, then close? Is the disk with the videos full or read-only?

arrinkiiii

Hi baldand,

It's the first time that im testing the MlRawViewer, im in win 7 32bits. Today, later, i will try in my desktop to see how it works, it got a nice graphic card and will report here =))

Edit: Today i try to open MLV files in my desktop win7 64bits and it works good. For sure that the problem is my laptop/graphic card... or the absence of a good one.

1%

Does encoding start from where you press E? I'm trying to save time and dump out to pro-res, but want to tweak sync/wb first. Just pause it and seek around?

baldand

Quote from: 1% on February 05, 2014, 06:32:24 AM
Does encoding start from where you press E? I'm trying to save time and dump out to pro-res, but want to tweak sync/wb first. Just pause it and seek around?

Yes, that's how it should be working right now. Pause with SPACE, skip with LEFT/RIGHT, nudge with COMMA(,)/PERIOD(.), then press E again to start encode from there. Press E again to stop, or leave it alone and it will encode to the end of the file.

Encoding is done with what you see (plus some extra bits your monitor can't display), so tweak the white balance with number keys, brightness with UP/DOWN and pick the mapping with T (Log, Linear or Global tone map).

1%

I guess GUI will do wonders here for doing it in batch... The videos are coming out 4:4:4 and keying nicely. Decided to nudge after I pick whichever takes I want, i think its only a few frames difference. Its much slower than raw2cineform but the results are de-bayered correctly. Would be cool if the amazed frames could be sent to cineform since they're taking forever to implement any decent debayer.

baldand

Quote from: 1% on February 05, 2014, 06:23:02 PM
I guess GUI will do wonders here for doing it in batch... The videos are coming out 4:4:4 and keying nicely. Decided to nudge after I pick whichever takes I want, i think its only a few frames difference. Its much slower than raw2cineform but the results are de-bayered correctly. Would be cool if the amazed frames could be sent to cineform since they're taking forever to implement any decent debayer.

Are you using Windows? I had to disable multithreaded AMaZE on Windows as it was crashing on Win8 (doh). On Linux it should use all cores and be a bit faster.
In a later version I'll try to do multithreaded CPU demosaic in a cross-platform friendly way so all platforms go a bit faster.

For me, something like AMaZE seems to be essential to get reasonable looking results in non-crop mode on anything but 5d3.

(At first glance, cineform doesn't really look like an option for integration since it's a commercial codec, and raw2gpcf only takes .RAW as input. But maybe I'm wrong?).

Midphase

First of all, many thanks for all your hard work.

When could we expect a new update? Particularly the DNG playback on Mac?

I realize that you're probably quite busy with other life demands, but I'd love more frequent updates with smaller tweaks rather than more time between updates but with larger upgrades. No need for nightlies or anything of the sort, but maybe weeklies?

BTW, if this was a pay app, I would totally buy it. Not necessarily saying that you need to start charging, but if you did it wouldn't hold me back from buying. So if you want to add a PayPal link...go for it!

PS.

One last thing...should this thread be moved to the Post Production section? It seems like this app belongs there rather than in this section...thoughts?

1%

QuoteAre you using Windows? I had to disable multithreaded AMaZE on Windows as it was crashing on Win8 (doh). On Linux it should use all cores and be a bit faster.

Win7, the 1.04 alpha version. It looks like amaze is on when its encoding but really slows down if you try it with playback. FFmpeg uses 2 cores and then the player uses 1.

1%

Should have edited but... bump: I can't nudge the audio backwards only forwards... ie audio needs to go back 4 frames and its not possible. Some audio at the beginning would have to be cut off.

mrd777

Awesome tool.

My question is, to get the best quality from this, should we use the build in encoder, or should we export as dng and then render video using something like avid DNxHD codec?

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: mrd777 on February 10, 2014, 09:08:50 AM
My question is, to get the best quality from this, should we use the build in encoder, or should we export as dng and then render video using something like avid DNxHD codec?

The built in encoder is ffmpeg/avconv. The settings can be tweaked so you can get whatever quality you like, and it essentially be the equivalent of exporting to dng then converting.
It all depends on your preferred work flow really.

mrd777

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on February 10, 2014, 12:10:46 PM
The built in encoder is ffmpeg/avconv. The settings can be tweaked so you can get whatever quality you like, and it essentially be the equivalent of exporting to dng then converting.
It all depends on your preferred work flow really.

Is there a thread showing how to pull the best quality out of the mlv using MlRawViewer? I haven't seen it. Maybe I missed it?

Thank you

Luzestudio

Thanks a lot for this great program.
It works fast and right now Im studing the possibility to adapt my workflow with it.

MLV->MlRawViewer (as neutral as possible white balance - Logaritmic Maping - ProRes)->Premiere.

-----
www.luzestudio.es

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: mrd777 on February 10, 2014, 09:54:18 PM
Is there a thread showing how to pull the best quality out of the mlv using MlRawViewer? I haven't seen it. Maybe I missed it?

It's somewhat set up to render in best quality.

katerlouis

Hey folks,
sittin here with my director on a Win7 64bit Setup usin the 1.0.4 alpha and everythin seems to work great so far, buuut O / P (next , prev clip) isn't workin why so ever :o

Is it me or just Windows?

Thx

jose_ugs

Awesomenesssssss!!! Smooveee mlv playback, spanned, sound, etc... i was using DrasticPreviewer and thought there's no way we'll ever get smooth raw playback... Hugeee bow to all being involved!!!

swinxx

Really Great so far..
Would be great if you could set in out points and convert the selected material to cdng or dng ;)
Combined with a batch function it would be a game changer!!
Thx for your hard work!

jose_ugs

If you read the whole thread u'll see it's heading that way ;)

Markus

Extremly good viewer! I'm only missing a Fullscreen mode. You can maximize the window but fullscreen would be nicer. I would vote for Ctrl+f to toggle as in resolve   :D.

/Cheers!