MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filmio

I have one question, I just downloaded Version 1.1.4 and when I already have the DNGs in MLRawViewer I press W to select export directory it starts flickering and I'am unable to export  :-\ Help!

baldand

MlRawViewer 1.1.5

I have made test builds of 1.1.5 for Win & Mac which would need a few people to try them out. They are available on bitbucket:
https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_1_5_win32.zip
https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_1_5_mac.dmg

The major new feature in this release is that the export queue now supports (background) exporting of both DNGs and ProRes MOVs.

Also, MOV exporting should now use all available CPU cores on Win and Mac, which should make it it significantly faster (my quad core 3770 i7 desktop encodes at 7FPS).

The usage of the queue has changed a bit since 1.1.4. As before, the E key adds an item to the queue using the current settings. But by default the export queue does not start processing as soon as you add something to it. Instead you need to click the red circle, or press the Y key. You can also pause the processing with another press.

The top item on the queue can be cancelled with the X key, and the queue can be reset with Z.

Also, pressing key C will add ALL files in the same directory as the current file, using the same colour balance settings. This might be useful for example if you are looking at a card full of takes from the same scene - one key will export or ProRes encode all of them.

Another feature in this release is a metadata info panel, which is most interesting for MLV files. It shows lens and exposure information.

Yet another feature is the H key, which saves the current colour balance and brightness, and the G key which restores a previously saved setting. This allow you to load one file, e.g. with a colour chart, save that balance, then close down the app and restart with other files from the same scene and restore the value.

There are also assorted other small changes, such as a dialog if you try to close the app while it's exporting, and improved drop-frame playback when disk IO is limited.

The reason it needs testing, is that I have seen some crashes already, possibly from the new multithreaded CPU demosaicing. Please try out the ProRes encoding and let me know details of any crashes you see.

Thanks!

Danne

Amazing! Did a fast test queued up 4 mlv files. Exported smooth and fast, fans on my macbook pro working. No crash yet. Gonna do some heavy testing tomorrow when I have better time. I,m on a macbook pro retina 2.6 ghz intel core i7.
You,re the man Baldand!

DavidSh

Quote from: baldand on April 24, 2014, 10:27:33 PM
MlRawViewer 1.1.5
Thanks!

You are the man Baldand,
Going to test it right now.

Just thought if you already use the metadata why dont you show shot name and take number when using ime module, it would be great.
Also maybe add option to export the files naming after shot name and take number from metadata.

this two adds can save a lot of time and frustration during post.

There are not enough words to describe my appreciation for what you are doing.

David
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

DavidSh

The batch processing use the c key works great for dng and mov.
rendered 7 mlv files

noticed:
1.when finish the pool, record icon stay pressed, so when using c again it start next batch immediately and not waiting for user to press.
2.also if hitting "c" again it ads the same pool again and again - maybe check if pool already aded and inform user to prevent user mistakes.
3.when leaving the app i get the dialog box even after i hit "x" or "z" and cancel or clear the pool.

so far no crashes when rendering both mov and dng.

specs:
5d3 1.2.3
90mps sd card (yes i know the cf are on the way :)
macbook air i5
4gig ram
mavericks

Best
David

DavidSh

crashes:
1.application crashes/not responding when hitting "w" to set export directory
*update - this does not happened if i launch the app and then choosing a file to open, it happened when double clicking an mlv to launch the app and then hitting "w".
*Update - after using "w" to set output folder "e" (file name to render) and "y" (render progres)  overlays not showing up but the export happened.
  Also after hitting "w" it takes something like 3-5 sec for dialog box to show up.

2.application crashes/not responding when in full screen mode trying to leave app while it rendered or pause rendered - not happening when not full screen - looks like maybe something with the dialog box event.

macbook air
i5 4 gig ram
mavericks

Danne

Tried three instances of mlrawviewer 1.1.5 exporting to three different folders simultaneously trying to overheat my macbook pro. Worked fine though and probably all I need is one app since everything gets queued and now working with multiple cores. Sweet.

All works as advertised. Only bug I could find is when setting output folder "w" which sometimes causes the app to close. When reopening it usually works setting a destination folder. Hard to reproduce but I think it happens when selecting folder the first time. Not always though.
Fine to be able to use whitebalance picker also on .RAW now :)

http://

Danne

Hi!
Fooled around with different settings and now I can,t get any settings to apply to the files I want to export from queue on 1.1.5. Exposure, changing to log etc, doesn,t follow. Instead I get a default file exported with no settings changed? Any ideas? Tried with 1.1.4 and changed settings are applied just fine. Hmm, think this thing have started when I started fiddling with the "c" button. I,m not sure though...

*White balance seem to work, not brightness though. Strange
**tried another computer. Changes in brightness doesn, t follow when exporting from there too

macbook pro retina 15,5, nvidia geforce,

baldand

@Danne, @DavidSh

Many thanks for testing out the build and taking time to report the issues.

Quote from: Danne on April 25, 2014, 02:55:34 PM
*White balance seem to work, not brightness though. Strange

Good find! It looks like the brightness setting got lost on its way to the MOV export process during code change. I will fix this.

Quote from: DavidSh on April 24, 2014, 10:49:57 PM
Just thought if you already use the metadata why dont you show shot name and take number when using ime module, it would be great.
Also maybe add option to export the files naming after shot name and take number from metadata.

Sounds like a good pair of suggestions, and should be easy to do.
Quote from: DavidSh on April 24, 2014, 10:59:21 PM
1.when finish the pool, record icon stay pressed, so when using c again it start next batch immediately and not waiting for user to press.
2.also if hitting "c" again it ads the same pool again and again - maybe check if pool already aded and inform user to prevent user mistakes.
3.when leaving the app i get the dialog box even after i hit "x" or "z" and cancel or clear the pool.

I'll fix 1. Not sure about 2 - the user might want to do the whole batch again with different colour balance settings or something? Haven't managed to reproduce 3 yet.

Quote from: DavidSh on April 24, 2014, 11:04:48 PM
crashes:
1.application crashes/not responding when hitting "w" to set export directory
*update - this does not happened if i launch the app and then choosing a file to open, it happened when double clicking an mlv to launch the app and then hitting "w".
*Update - after using "w" to set output folder "e" (file name to render) and "y" (render progres)  overlays not showing up but the export happened.
  Also after hitting "w" it takes something like 3-5 sec for dialog box to show up.

2.application crashes/not responding when in full screen mode trying to leave app while it rendered or pause rendered - not happening when not full screen - looks like maybe something with the dialog box event.

The dialog boxes seem to cause many problems in differnt environments. They were only supposed to be a quick temporary solution, so it sounds like I just need to concentrate on replacing them in the next version with an integrated file browser & directory picker view.

aace

Quote from: baldand on April 24, 2014, 10:27:33 PM
The usage of the queue has changed a bit since 1.1.4. As before, the E key adds an item to the queue using the current settings. But by default the export queue does not start processing as soon as you add something to it. Instead you need to click the red circle, or press the Y key. You can also pause the processing with another press.

The top item on the queue can be cancelled with the X key, and the queue can be reset with Z.

Also, pressing key C will add ALL files in the same directory as the current file, using the same colour balance settings. This might be useful for example if you are looking at a card full of takes from the same scene - one key will export or ProRes encode all of them.

Thanks!

Baldand can you add the new feature shortcut keys to the first page and the homepage? I've been using this app since the first alpha and I didn't know that the E key was changed to "add to queue". Heck didn't know that queuing was possible. I was under the impression that E was to export. Another question, how do we track what's in the render queue?

baldand

Quote from: aace on April 25, 2014, 09:15:49 PM
Baldand can you add the new feature shortcut keys to the first page and the homepage? I've been using this app since the first alpha and I didn't know that the E key was changed to "add to queue". Heck didn't know that queuing was possible. I was under the impression that E was to export. Another question, how do we track what's in the render queue?

I try to keep the front page updated with the latest version linked from. Currently, 1.1.4 is sill the "stable" release, so the information there links to and refers to that. When the link is update to a stable 1.1.5 build or a newer version, I will update the info.

The E key subtly changed function when the export queue was introduced for DNGs. In 1.1.5 it now works the same way for DNG and MOV. Also in 1.1.5, the list of files in the render queue is shown on screen. In 1.1.4, only the top item was shown.

DavidSh

Quote from: baldand on April 25, 2014, 05:37:13 PM
@Danne, @DavidSh

Many thanks for testing out the build and taking time to report the issues.

Testing and reporting is the least i can do for you and this great app :)

Thought about something from day one i saw this app:
Hiding overlays by pressing a key,
The overlays dissolve is nice and slick, But when previewing a shot on the field or even on the edit table it takes time until they disappear. sometimes they are hiding an area that a user want to see and until they disappear, camera move or shot ended.

Btw,
Do you know on some way using dual iso and export to cdng?

Thanks man
David.

DavidSh

When trying to convert from cdng to mov application crash.

macbook air
i5 4gig ram
osx mavericks.

Best
David.

schlemiel29

I'm a little bit lost.  :-[
Some month before I got it to work, but now I lost the red line.
I recorded MLV files and use MLRaw 1.1.5 to get DNGs. That's ok. Now I want to improve DNGs a little bit bit and create a movie from it.
I have CS5, so I like to use PS5. The new DNGs are not readable by PS5 anymore. But I updated Camera Raw for PS5 so I could open them again. But what next? Can I create a MOV directly with CS5 or do I have to cnonvert them to TIFF and later on use QT Player for putting TIF to MOV????

DavidSh

Quote from: schlemiel29 on April 27, 2014, 02:25:59 PM
I'm a little bit lost.  :-[
Some month before I got it to work, but now I lost the red line.
I recorded MLV files and use MLRaw 1.1.5 to get DNGs. That's ok. Now I want to improve DNGs a little bit bit and create a movie from it.
I have CS5, so I like to use PS5. The new DNGs are not readable by PS5 anymore. But I updated Camera Raw for PS5 so I could open them again. But what next? Can I create a MOV directly with CS5 or do I have to cnonvert them to TIFF and later on use QT Player for putting TIF to MOV????
And how this is got to do with MlRawViwer?

Save as tiff and then render to prores mov with qt is not a bad solution. but why dont you render straight to mov from mlRawViewer? prores is quit decent format for color grading.

Best
David

olliedale

I have 1.1.4 (n00b)

I started converting today's MLV files to DNG, got half way through, then suddenly I am unable to press the red record button to export the DNG files. Pressing E has no effect either.

I thought I might have a corrupt MLV file, but I can't even export the files I just completed successfully.

Have uninstalled, restarted, etc. Nothing seems to bring the functionality back...

17" MacBook Pro
Mavericks

olliedale

Quote from: olliedale on April 28, 2014, 11:51:50 AM
I am unable to press the red record button to export the DNG files

17" MacBook Pro
Mavericks

Have tried 1.1.5 to see if the same issue - don't know if you changed the functionality of the little red button but now it just toggles on and off.

I typed W to open the Save To window but the app crashed.

Let me know where to send crash log cos I can't attach it here...

baldand

Quote from: olliedale on April 28, 2014, 12:11:33 PM

Have tried 1.1.5 to see if the same issue - don't know if you changed the functionality of the little red button but now it just toggles on and off.

I typed W to open the Save To window but the app crashed.

Let me know where to send crash log cos I can't attach it here...

In 1.1.5, you need to press E to add something to the export queue. The red button maps (or Y key) starts or pauses execution of the currently queued tasks. X & Z can also be used to remove one or all tasks on the queue.

bluewater

Baldand,  how many cores does MIRAWviewer support?
1.1.5 runs 3 times faster than 1.1.4 !!!

Plus, does it any chance to support
1. Noise Reduction 2. constrast adjustment(Auto mode is good, too.) in the FUTURE?

baldand

Quote from: bluewater on April 30, 2014, 04:50:10 PM
Baldand,  how many cores does MIRAWviewer support?
1.1.5 runs 3 times faster than 1.1.4 !!!

Plus, does it any chance to support
1. Noise Reduction 2. constrast adjustment(Auto mode is good, too.) in the FUTURE?

In 1.1.5 CPU demosaicing (used for MOV export) now uses all available cores.

As a 7D user, I would like to integrate a solution at least for stripe pattern noise and hot/dead pixels in a future release.

Contrast & saturation controls would also be nice to have eventually.

bluewater

Thanx, baldand

I think I don't have to use color grading programs e.g. Resolve or Speedgrade anymore if you have a plan to add some functions; 1. sharpen 2. NR

WB adjustment already makes a decent RAW clips.

=====================================
BTW, I don't know why I got a message like

"This message is awaiting approval by a moderator."
for the first time.

Are there any requirements or something else(donation?) to leave a message here???
Then, I feel really sorry for that.

ted ramasola

Quote from: bluewater on May 01, 2014, 01:47:25 PM
BTW, I don't know why I got a message like

"This message is awaiting approval by a moderator."
for the first time.

Are there any requirements or something else(donation?) to leave a message here???
Then, I feel really sorry for that.

Theres a bug in the system ;) No worries.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

tonybeccar

Hey baldand! I can't believe all the feautres you are adding so fast! It's amazing!!!!!! I just exported a prores 444 relatively fast! (i have an i3 mobile, lol) and it looked AMAZING! Looking at the properties I found out that it was 85Mbps only, according to the Prores data rate table, a 1920x1080 23.976p video should be 264 Mbps. I use ffmpeg and I know it doesn't convert with the right bitrate in 444, maybe you can try to force it? Do I make sense?

Here is the table: http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/professionalformatsandworkflows/index.html#chapter=10%26section=4%26tasks=true

If you someday add GPU acceleration to all the processes in your program well it will be the most powerful thing EVER!!!!!

Really happy man, thank you very much!!!
Cheers!

EDIT: Oh! And is it possible to add a root folder to the queue? Just like when you hit the C key? That's brillant!!! That would be the ultimate deal when you have your footage in different cards, days, and cameras folders!!!

herrtrigger

Ok I love 1.1.5 on the mac for going to ProRes.  On the PC (Win 8.1) it's really fast but it adds red dots to really black (I'm guessing 0) pixels in the scene.  Doesn't do this to the same clips on the mac.  I searched through this thread to find if someone had an answer but didn't see one.  I apologize ahead of time if this has been asked and answered.

Thanks!

nick.p

Quote from: baldand on April 30, 2014, 05:28:18 PM
In 1.1.5 CPU demosaicing (used for MOV export) now uses all available cores.

With my hackintosh overclocked to 4.7ghz I'm getting nearly real time playback. Thanks baldand