MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

togg

If you're using a mac don't forget to block app nap or when you put the Mlrv in the background the export will seriously slow down.

feureau

Quote from: coryaycock on November 17, 2014, 08:06:37 AM
@DeafEyeJedi @feureau  I checked again, and for the particular shot I posted on vimeo, I shot at 1/81 shutter speed on accident.  That is the reason for the shadows.  All of my other clips are 1/48 and they're fine.  Thanks for the responses!

You're welcome!

dragan-85

Guys , is it possible to replace the log curve with a custom one , with a dcp extension?

kyrobb

If you were able to save your log curve as a .cube 3D lut you could import it.

On another note, would it be possible to incorporate a saturation slider Baldand? The ability to control saturation of the raw file before applying luts and exporting as ProRes would be an extremely valuable tool. Thanks again for all your work!

feureau

Does anyone use DNGs exported by MLRawViewer with Premiere Pro directly?

I've been having issue with PPCC2014.1 in that:

1. the white balance info is not being read properly. Everything defaults to 5000k. This is the same with Lightroom and photoshop.

2. PP can't read the folders properly. In that when using media browser, the folder shows up as folders instead of clips.

3.  Also, looks like the debayering is screwed up with a lot of artefacts. Looks like this one's on PP though? Not sure.

4. it's even worse if you open it in SpeedGrade. Color is all green and everything.

Thoughts?

KurtAugust

Feature request: I would love to make MLRawviewer my one-stop encoding program for all my editing work, also for non-raw files. What are the chances?

It would help creating my as-much-open-source-as-possible-pipeline. We could create edit files from the Canon h264 recorded files and add a LUT in the process. I'm also thinking of the files my Panasonic LX100 will create once it arrives.

On the other hand, I would understand if you don't really see the benefit. More work...
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog

feureau

Quote from: KurtAugust on November 19, 2014, 11:31:22 AM
Feature request: I would love to make MLRawviewer my one-stop encoding program for all my editing work, also for non-raw files. What are the chances?

It would help creating my as-much-open-source-as-possible-pipeline. We could create edit files from the Canon h264 recorded files and add a LUT in the process. I'm also thinking of the files my Panasonic LX100 will create once it arrives.

On the other hand, I would understand if you don't really see the benefit. More work...

I think you're better off using a proper NLE...

KurtAugust

www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog

feureau

Btw,  baldand

How do I white balance across multiple footage?

For instance, I have one with a white balance card,and I color-picker that and it white balances that shot properly, but how do I apply that white balance to other clips? Looks like it sometimes carry the white balance to all the clips in the folder, and sometimes I could white balance each clip? I think I got lost somewhere.

Basically, if one has different shots with various white balance, how does one assign certain WB to certain shots?

Also, feature request: Can we get those vertical line thingies for the histogram please? :3

Thanks

baldand

@feureau looks like a couple of keys were missing from the top post:
H/G - Save/load current colour balance & brightness (for matching multiple takes)
The MS/MR buttons on screen do the same thing.

So, set the white balance and exposure in one clip, the press the H key or click MS.
Go to a new clip with the same conditions, and press the G key, or click MR.

In the next build, this will also store LUTs and the tone map setting as well as exposure and balance.

nikki

after viewing can you delete clips in the mlrawviewer you don't need?

baldand

Quote from: nikki on November 23, 2014, 07:17:23 PM
after viewing can you delete clips in the mlrawviewer you don't need?

No, and I wouldn't be keen to add that kind of option as it might be too easy to lose clips by accident.

baldand

Quote from: KurtAugust on November 19, 2014, 11:31:22 AM

Unfortunately quite small at the moment.

This would really need to use the libav underlying ffmpeg in order to get metadata and allow efficient random access to frames. Possible, but not trivial.

cd1234567

MLRawViewer is the best!! Thank you for your wonderful app.

I actually encounter a problem after updating the app to 1.4.1 from 1.3.3 (mac version). I hope you can help me.

The exporting to MOV file always stops at 0.22% and no MOV file is produced.

I might have replaced the older version improperly during installation or something. Any idea?

baldand

Quote from: cd1234567 on November 24, 2014, 02:21:53 PM
The exporting to MOV file always stops at 0.22% and no MOV file is produced...

1. Did you set an export directory using the W key?
2. Open and share the log file in $HOME\.mlrawviewer\mlrawviewer.log (this is probably easiest to do using the command line)
3. Try deleting the $HOME\.mlrawviewer directory and running again. From command line: cd<press enter key>rm -rf .mlrawviewer<press enter key>

cd1234567

Thank you very much. It is working again. I deleted the directory and started over again as you told me.

I also found out that it works better if I don't skip a version when I am updating the app. Thanks again.

coryaycock

As I said before, I really love this player.  It's been a life saver.  (unintended rhyme)  Although, I cannot get it to play my mlv's at 24 fps.  It's jerky...as if it's skipping frames or something.  I am still using an older version (v1.2.3) because it's what I'm familiar with and is easiest for me exporting.  Could someone please let me know how to get smooth playback?  Thanks!

tool

Hi baldand,
I've been using your app so far so good, but I have bunch of clips from a nightly build in which I have the wrong BlackLevel on them (enabled blacklevel fix on ML)
So ,these files I need fix them with mlv_dump or exiftool. (create another file) if anyone suffered the same problem => http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11664.0

Have you considered a BlackLevel override in your app?

nikki

baldand

Quote from: nikki on November 25, 2014, 05:47:35 PM
my clips say clog...is this the best log??

That's just the default. You can change it by clicking the tone map icon (box with a curve in) or pressing the T or Shift-T keys.

Other log options currently are: Log-C, S-Log, SLog2 and "Log8". You can also provide your own preferred log curve as a 1D LUT.

nikki

how do you export the files??  Into fcpX or Davinci..using a mac??

baldand

Quote from: coryaycock on November 25, 2014, 01:16:07 AM
As I said before, I really love this player.  It's been a life saver.  (unintended rhyme)  Although, I cannot get it to play my mlv's at 24 fps.  It's jerky...as if it's skipping frames or something.  I am still using an older version (v1.2.3) because it's what I'm familiar with and is easiest for me exporting.  Could someone please let me know how to get smooth playback?  Thanks!

What GPU do you have - is it Intel integrated or discrete? Only discrete or recent Intel GPUs can play smoothly.
Things to try: turn off stripe correction, remove all LUTs, update graphics drivers.

baldand

MlRawViewer 1.4.2 is now available

Download link: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads

Summary of Changes:

- Fix for C key so multiple exports can be queued
- Fix for W key to launch dialog for choosing export directory
- Shift-W opens dialog to choose an external WAV file to play with the clip
- Colour store/restore (H/G keys and MS/MR icons) now store also tone map and all LUTs allowing all colour-related settings to be copied between clips
- Tone mapping and balance no longer "floats" when changing between clips because it was not being persisted to the per-clip settings. Instead, you should use the store/restore to copy settings.
- Audio file name and offset are now shown in the metadata
- Audio offset can be reset to the current video position with Shift-N key
- Audio file names are now stored relative to their parent clip so they can be moved and stay associated
- Numeric keypad should work for colour balance nudging
- Shift-B key tries to find the first 12kHz beep in the audio file, and sets the audio offset to that
- Fixed bug in Histogram. Previously it was only measuring the bottom third of the image.
- Audio playback system reworked for better random access performance
- WAVs exported with DNGs now include bext, iXML blocks & DNGs include CameraSerialNumber and TimeCodes tags. With these, Resolve should automatically embed the WAV in the clip.

About this release

This release has mainly been about improving the audio handling, particularly with daily issues affecting me.

Since I use an external Zoom-H1 for all my audio, I wanted a better way to pair and sync those files with my clips.
I use the ML feature to play a 12kHz beep at the start of every clip, and I always start recording audio before video.

In MlRawViewer, this workflow should now work quite well. Open the clip, then press Shift-W and choose the matching audio file.
Then press Shift-B, and in most cases the (high quality) audio should now be very well in sync with the video.

If you don't have the beep, then Shift-N can still help with sync - wait until you hear the start of the video and then press Shift-N. The use the audio offset nudge keys (B/N) to get the sync exact.

Resolve should now also show the WAV files embedded in the clip (thanks to dmilligan/chmee/danne for all the tips about how to do this), however since Resolve doesn't seem to handle 96kHz WAVs, this hasn't been a very useful feature for me :-(

The other big change is that you should now use the colour store/restore (H/G keys or MS/MR icons) to copy settings between clips. Earlier there was ambiguity about what settings a clip was using because some values would float until you had explicitly set them. This was useful when jumping through takes, but confusing later when coming back to those clips again and seeing them with diferent settings applied. Now it should be more explicit - there is a default value and if you change it, the changes are persisted. Full sets can be copied between takes with H/G

togg

- Shift-B key tries to find the first 12kHz beep in the audio file, and sets the audio offset to that

This is pure magic. I use the same workflow that you and this could save a lot of work!

Danne