New owner concerned about status of ML on 6d

Started by l_d_allan, December 13, 2013, 10:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l_d_allan

Quote from: TLN on July 10, 2014, 10:17:53 AM
What is current status of 6D firmware?

A "Nightly Build" with date of July 17, 2014 is now available. Thanks.

Levas

Better follow this topic for 6d, it's more used

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.new#new

6d is back in the nightly builds again

l_d_allan

Quote from: Levas on July 21, 2014, 10:57:49 PM
Better follow this topic for 6d, it's more used
Maybe. I find it difficult to follow months-old threads with pages and pages of barely related posts that have drifted all over the place.

l_d_allan

Lately, I've seen intermittent problems and possible "bit rot" with the "blind nightlies" ... ML on my 6d seems to be getting less and less stable, especially the intervalometer.

My practice is to watch for fresh nightly blind builds for my 6d, cross my fingers, and install.

I use the 6d a fair amount in "time lapse mode" with the Intervalometer for once a minute captures. A typical Manual mode setting would be ISO 1600, f5.6, 1/50th with EF 35mm f2 IS on tripod for an indoor non-action event (groups of singers and speakers). It will start off working fine, while I'm using my T3i / 600d with 200mm f2.8 (=320mm) for closer views on individual performers.

I'll go see how the 6d is doing on the other side of the "crow's nest", and it will have decided to use ISO 100, so the exposure is completely off for many captures. That's happened several times, but seems intermittent. It's almost like it was using a previous setting for Dual-ISO, or Auto-ETTR, although both of those are OFF.

Or it might change both the ISO, and then the shutter speed, like it was briefly in Av mode instead of Manual mode, so the exposure is OK, but images are blurred due to too slow shutter speed.

Anyone else seeing that? I don't yet have enough repeatability to make a bug report. The times it has happened, I've got two or even three cameras going, and my priority is to try to get the 6d operational, and then get back to the 600d.

l_d_allan

Quotehttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#idp54032560

Sorry I submitted what you apparently feel was an non-smart question. I didn't submit a bug report on an intermittent problem that I couldn't recreate, but I was trying to see if anyone had seen that, or perhaps to watch for it.

QuotePost your settings (the delta menu).

I don't have the specific settings from when the problem happened, as my priority was to get the camera back to doing the time-lapse with intervalometer.

I did attempt to recreate the issue yesterday, but it behaved.
Auto ETTR   OFF
Dual ISO   OFF
Advanced Bracket OFF
Intervalometer   ON, 1 minute
   Take a pic every   1 min 0 sec
   Start trigger   Half-shutter
   Start after      10 sec
Bulb Timer    OFF

FYI: A week or so ago with an older Nightly Blind Build, the Intervalometer was mis-behaving after I'd used the Advanced Bracket with 5 steps. After I disabled Advanced Bracket, the camera still insisted on taking 5 captures during each capture of a TimeLapse.

What seemed to be happening was that the Settings (which I think is written to internal memory on the 6d) weren't being updated. I couldn't get the Advanced Bracket to not interfere with normal operations, even though it was Disabled. The Menu showed "Advanced Bracket" OFF, but the 6d was taking 5 captures each time the Intervalometer counted down to zero.

The "fix" seemed to be to re-install the Nightly Build. (or it might have been an updated Nightly Build, sorry, I don't recall the specifics). My uninformed speculation was that the internal memory that held the settings was put back in a sane state. Or not?

The "common denominator" of the two issues may be the Intervalometer.

Another speculation might be that my process of installing a fresh Nightly Blind Build may be flawed.

a1ex

The link was not about the report itself, but the extra stuff like "bit rot" or "getting less and less stable" - you should have some sort of proof before saying that, and this problem smelled like user error (forgot autoexpo on or something like that).

The variable used for deciding whether to take a normal or a bracketed image is the same variable used to display the menu status. I don't see how it could display "Advanced Bracket: OFF" and still take bracketed images. Try to reproduce it though.

When I ask you about the settings, there may be some other option interferring, so post all of them (hint: the menu with a Delta symbol).