Query regarding lens compatibility: Hoping to use C mount (CCTV lens) on 550D

Started by prabhath.mp, December 11, 2013, 08:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prabhath.mp

Hi All,

I was checking some amazing videos on YouTube regarding usability of C mount (cheap CCTV Fujion) lens on Sony Nex series.

Could anyone let me know if you have ever tried using such lens on EF/EFs mount; are there any converters/adapters available out in the market?

I am fairly new in understanding the concept of Micro four third mount and I was hoping that there could be a way to somehow use it on my 550D.

Also, on the contrary I was thinking of going for EOS-M. Is there any way these lens might be useful on those cameras? :)

I was considering Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera, however, it is too expensive here in India (at 91000/- INR).

I had initially thought of going for a high end DSLR, however, after analyzing my needs and the time I spend with camera I have cornered EOS-M (as it too has RAW enabled with help of Magic Lantern Team) :)

The lens I am referring to could be found here:-

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,
Prabhath MP
Knowledge enhances by sharing!
Every moment is a new learning experience!!
I use:-Camera: Canon 550D/T2i  Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8 II ; Canon kit (18-55 non IS) ; 55-250 EFS IS ; Macro converter tubes with AF.

crazyrunner33

I looked into this because I wanted c-mount lenses for crop mode. The flange distance for c mount lenses are around 17-18mm where as the EOS mount is around 44mm, the only way to make it work is to remove the mirror and do some serious modifications in order to obtain infinity focus, or use an optical adapter. The EOS M might have some hope, you'll have to take a look at the flange distance. Keep in mind there will be some serious vignetting unless if you're using the lens for cropped mode.
5D Mark III, 7D

prabhath.mp

Hi,

Thanks so much for replying.

The information was helpful.

I'll check if anyone has been able to use C-mount lens on EOS-M, else I might go for Sony Nex series.

Cheers,
Prabhath MP
I use:-Camera: Canon 550D/T2i  Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8 II ; Canon kit (18-55 non IS) ; 55-250 EFS IS ; Macro converter tubes with AF.

jordancolburn

The EOS-M is a good camera, and based on some searching, it appears c-mount lenses can be used on it ( http://www.flickr.com/groups/2150940@N25/ ).  If they vignette too much, you may have to use crop mode in ML (roughly a 3x zoom) to get good video.  The built in h264 is ok and you can make great images.  For the price of a new EOS-M, I don't think you can beat it.  RAW is ok, but the workflow is miserable, and it needs the right cards and I really would treat it more as an experiment.  If you need RAW, go for the BMPCC, if you want a much cheaper camera capable of the same images as any canon ASP-C, go for the M.

prabhath.mp

Hi,

Thanks so much for the details.

Any idea about the difference in flange distance between Sony Nex 5 and Canon EOS M sensor and lens mount? I believe they affect the focal distance and also the vignette/crop factor.

If they are same or which camera has an advantage over using the CCTV lens without additional efforts? :)

I found few amazing videos that were shot on Sony Nex 5 using CCTV lens; but could not find videos shot using similar lens on Canon EOS-M.

Also, considering the price they both probably are priced almost evenly.

BMPCC is an awesome camera but can't afford currently as it is too highly priced here in India.

Cheers,
Prabhath MP

Janke

This may be an old thread, but I've successfully adapted many C-mount and CCTV lenses to the EOS-M.

You definitely need to shoot in crop mode.

See this thread:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10036.0

Note: Do not boot the camera with a manual lens, it will (may?) hang!