Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Started by rudison, December 17, 2013, 12:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudison

A question to the developers: Which tool do you use to edit the source code of ML? Is it a simple text editor / Emacs / vi (with or without syntax highlighting)? Together with find and find in files? Or do you use an IDE?

An IDE normally has several advantages: autocomplete, code navigation, calltips, code analysis, code folding, ...
Netbeans and Eclipse also have support für Mercurial (integrated/plugin).

Who has experience with an IDE? Is it worth a try?

dmilligan

Since I'm on a Mac, I use xcode, it works great, it's free, and it's native (Eclipse and the like tend to annoy me being so slow since they are not native code). Autocomplete, jump to definition, stuff like that all works really well. It used to automatically goto and highlight build errors, but this hasn't worked since the latest version, I haven't had time to figure out what's going on.

jordancolburn

I've been using vi and grep to poke my way around the code.  It works pretty well, but I haven't had to do any big copy/pasting or formatting.

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

1%

I like the above and also geany on both windows/linux. They keep the files together nicely.